End of the line for my precious A2

Hi my beautiful well loved A2 1.4 TDI, which is 17 years old and has 119,000 on the clock went into the garage today for an MOT, service and a new toothed belt. It has been with me from new and has always been serviced yearly.
Unfortunately when they went to change the belt the bolts were rusty in the chassis and one has broken. They have advised me that they will have to contact an engineer to drill the bolts out and to replace them, as it is a Bank Holiday the engineer hasn’t come back to them today, so they have no idea of costing.
If the cost is going to be unrealistic we will sadly have to part with it.
The reason that I am sharing it with you is because I wanted to know if anyone else has been able to offer their car for spares etc, if you also had to part with your car and if so how do you go about it, please? I can’t bear the thought that it will end up in a breakers yard.

Thank you for reading this,
Kate

It should be easy to fix so don't be too concerned.
The mounting sits on the chassis, so although it's not recommended, you could get by with one less bolt worst case.
Let's see what others have to say, but there's no way you should be scrapping the car for this simple issue.

Worth spending the money on repairs. You won’t find a car out there that is all round as good as an A2 is. Someone will inevitably buy it from you and fix it if you can’t 119,000 for a Tdi is just running it in. Please don’t break it up into parts.

I had this problem happen to me just last week, the cam belt was being changed and whoever had tried to do the last change had rounded the heads off of the tensioner bolts. The mechanic phoned me and told me he was going to have to drill them out and it was going to be a pain in the bum, but then just got on and did it anyway.
If your garage is making noises about 'it's too difficult' then ask on the thread here for a recommended mechanic.
Gary @ B & F autos just did this exact thing and would be happy to advise.

Back