Engine control unit

garnish

Hello All

I have recently purchased an Audi A2 and I need an engine control unit as my key fob doesn't work. I have tried so many combinations to get it working with 2 Audi mechanics. I'm not 100% sure I can trust everything they say but I'm pretty sure now that it is down to the ECU and a working one is needed. I was wondering where I can find out exactly which one I need and how much it'd cost. can I find out by going by my number plate? if possible the reg is: X995LLX

The latest mechanic says they are £180 with £80 labour to fit but he MAY have one in the shop which he doesn't need. He'd sell it to me for £80 but first he needs to see mine to see if the one he has will work in my car.

It seems silly to me in this day and age that I can't know exactly what I need by going off the number plate.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have been stitched up by the seller of this car and I trusted him. He must have known there was a problem. He said I probably just needed a new battery in the fob!!

Also, the Air bag and the ECU light came on soon after I bought the car so I got the first mechanic to clear them while I got the car MOTd but the airbag light is back on again!

Cheers

David

Hi David and welcome.

Sorry your first post here is to report trouble but can I clarify a few bits before going further:

How many keys do you have for the car?

Can you driver the car with the keys?

Is it just the remote lock and unlock functions that don't work?

Answer these questions and DON'T buy anything in the meantime, as we could sort it out for you rather easily and cheaply in the meantime.

Oh, and fuller details of the car (petrol, diesel, chassis number, as printed on the bottom corner of the windscreen) will help to pin things down.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for replying Mike. Amazing!

Ok here goes: I have 2 blank keys and 3 keys programmed and cut so all drive the car. I got these all done at the locksmiths (which I referred to as the first mechanic so lets just call him the locksmith from now!) The locksmith managed to cut and program the keys but struggled to get my FOB (to lock and unlock doors remotely) to work and told me that the model number 8Z0 837 231 was wrong and I needed 8Z0 837 231 and the all important 'D' on the end (8Z0 837 231 D)

He referred me to the mechanic once he couldn't get FOB 8Z0 837 231 D to work either.

The problem now is that I haven't got a working system to remotely lock and unlock the car doors. I have spend lots of time and money already but still, I'm not an expert!!

The mechanic said that FOB 8Z0 837 231 is in fact the correct one but my ones didn't work so he suggested I buy 2 new ones off of him so we know that it's not my second hand FOBS with the problem. I think fair enough because I tried to cut corners by buying on ebay. I bought another 2 fobs for £40 each so now I have a total of 7 FOBS (yes 7 !!!) 2 x brand new 8Z0 837 231, 2 x second hand 8Z0 837 231 and 3 x second hand 8Z0 837 231 D.

Apart from 'fobgate' it's a lovely little car. It hates speed humps even more than I do but I hear they all have very stiff suspension.

Here're other details of the car:

Chassis: WAUZZZ8ZZIN034006 (i'm pretty sure the zeros are zeros as opposed to O's!)

Audi A2 SE Petrol Silver reg: X995LLX

Thanks in advance

Dave

pm'ed? sorry but although I'm 34 i'm not so up on internet talk

LOL...(Laugh Out Loud) You have Private Message, if you look under the banner it will say 'Welcome garnish' ....... under it will say private messages, follow the link. :)

Regards
SARGE

I knew what LOL was.. LOL!

I have tried to reply to your p'm so let me know if you don't get it!

Cheers

Dave

Back