EXB or EWR gearbox – best for compatibility?

Had a syncho ring replaced last year on my EWQ gearbox but that’s now making an increasingly unpleasant noise at idle and low speeds. Would have been cheaper to just replace it with a second hand box so that’s the route I’m thinking this time.

It’s a 2001 TDi 75 and looking for a box that’s as mechanically direct a swap as possible (i.e. doesn't need any grinding or spacers to fit).

Not sold on a JDD for the type of driving I’m doing so thinking either an EXB for a slightly better final drive ratio or an EWR for the same ratios as the EWQ but with stronger synchros. Pretty similar price for either.

I need one that will take the speedo drive connection and ideally uses the same push on ends for the gear cables.

With the search excluding three letter words can’t find anything here on the EWR and the EXB usually only mentioned in passing. Anyone got experience of either of these boxes in practice on the A2?

If the new box had a blanked plug for the speedo drive are these a straightforward swap over?

Sorry, can't help with gearbox information though best plan for searching is to Google a2oc.net with your other criteria.

Sadly both boxes are just as passing mentions - hence hoping someone has advice from experience.

There's an EWR on Ebay for 20 quid (plus delivery). 20 quid ! It does look very similar to my recently-removed GPK, mind you.

EXB box is in this thread - I assume you've seen it -

At the very least you may be able to get more information from @trevorswaine who does have experience of it.

Thanks - just noticed the EWR tower weight is a completely different shape to the others so that maybe narrows the choice down to the EXB. I'll get in touch with him for any info.

Thanks - just noticed the EWR tower weight is a completely different shape to the others so that maybe narrows the choice down to the EXB. I'll get in touch with him for any info.

Would it not be possible to transfer your cable-end / shift mechanism over - undo the bolt at the top of the selector shaft and swap the counterweights over on the splined bit? This is what we just did with my PTW swap, so everything above the gearbox was still from my GPK - ie, whether EWR or EXB is irrelevant providing they are from the same gearbox family (MQ250 as your original)

I tried the EXB but unfortunately I must have had a dodgy one - it wouldn't change gear from 4th to 3rd or from 5th to 3rd. All else was fine - the gearing on each gear is about 10% taller than the standard gearing so it became much more relaxing to drive as the standard ratios are all a bit short. Also as I recall one of the fixings had to be removed or ground down so I couldn't return the faulty gearbox. WOM Automotive did the work.
So in the end I just spent the money and went down the 6 speed route with the Eurotuning conversion.

Good to know they are interchangeable - I'd assumed the counterweight was a delicate balance mechanism specific to the gearbox but just seen somebody had ground bits off one to stop it catching the starter motor! So weight shape is just dictated by space in engine bay. Options still open then.
Would it not be possible to transfer your cable-end / shift mechanism over - undo the bolt at the top of the selector shaft and swap the counterweights over on the splined bit? This is what we just did with my PTW swap, so everything above the gearbox was still from my GPK - ie, whether EWR or EXB is irrelevant providing they are from the same gearbox family (MQ250 as your original)

Picked up a tidy 41 K EXB box - should be getting it fitted next week.
Top support bracket mount point matches the EWQ:
EXB bracket.jpg

Speedo drive looks right:
Speedo drive.jpg

And various threaded holes for the dogbone mount (fingers crossed at least two line up with the A2 bracket):
Dogbone.jpg

Tried out the EWQ bogbone mount on the EXB box and that's where a mount point needs some trimming. Older Polo mounts attach at 4 points so it was out with the hacksaw and files at the weekend on these bits:
chop.jpg

The scalloped mount point at bottom of picture needs a washer for final fit but that looks to be it. Getting fitted on Wednesday.

Fitted now and it all works properly. Liking the slightly taller gear ratios and should be quieter engine at motorway speeds.

So would say EXB is definitely a decent option for older TDIs with a speedo drive - plenty about (and some quite low mileage ones), reasonably priced, not too much modification needed.

Last edited:
Thread resuscitation!!

These boxes never seemed to be mentioned anyone know the ratios and how they perform? My new project has a EWR but was sold as missing 5th gear

Thread resuscitation!!

These boxes never seemed to be mentioned anyone know the ratios and how they perform? My new project has a EWR but was sold as missing 5th gear

Just done a direct comparison of the EWR ratios and those for the A2 75tdi box EWQ (identical to GPK).
This is mph at 3000rpm in each gear. Gear EWQ/GPK EWR
1.000​
17.045​
19.513​
2.000​
30.408​
33.116​
3.000​
47.347​
49.241​
4.000​
66.286​
66.286​
5.000​
85.225​
85.225​

For reference, although the 2nd ratio looks tall, this is nearly the same as 2nd in the PTW box which is perfectly manageable.

Last edited:
Back