Exhaust - Going to need a new one and performance versions out there?

Hi Guys

I've got a lovely 1.6 FSI Pertol Sport!

Well my car just squeaked through the MOT a few weeks ago and seems the exhaust is on the way out, they patched it with exhaust sealant to get it through (around the CAT also) but I guess it's only time before a new one is needed.

Now the standard exhaust is very restrictive, so I was wondering if there were any performance versions available?? I know there use to be a Milltek version available but I'm not sure that's around anymore, so guys any idea on a performance version to give a little more oomph??

I might need a system to include the CAT also?

Thanks

The restrictive components in the original exhausts are almost inevitably the catalytic converters, which are especially prone to premature failure in the FSI.

The restrictive components in the original exhausts are almost inevitably the catalytic converters, which are especially prone to premature failure in the FSI.

Thanks Steve, any idea why it was so special and anything to consider when making a new unit?

Thanks Steve, any idea why it was so special and anything to consider when making a new unit?

The FSI has a virtually unique system to reduce NOx emissions by capturing NOx in the exhaust catalysts, and then burning it off with petrol. This involved catalysts made from exotic (and expensive) materials which simply aren't available now, and a back box fitted with a one-way valve that only opened under pressure.

If your inlet manifold isn't working correctly (and most aren't now) I'd say the real priority is to get that sorted first.

I hope you're aware that the FSI requires at least 98 RON petrol, preferably from a well-known brand.

This thread https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/fsi-nox-cat-replacement.36491/ gives a lot of practical information.

The FSI has a virtually unique system to reduce NOx emissions by capturing NOx in the exhaust catalysts, and then burning it off with petrol. This involved catalysts made from exotic (and expensive) materials which simply aren't available now, and a back box fitted with a one-way valve that only opened under pressure.

If your inlet manifold isn't working correctly (and most aren't now) I'd say the real priority is to get that sorted first.

I hope you're aware that the FSI requires at least 98 RON petrol, preferably from a well-known brand.

This thread https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/fsi-nox-cat-replacement.36491/ gives a lot of practical information.
Thanks Steve

Yeah All FSI engines require higher octane fuel (I also have an Audi R8 V10 which is also FSI), I always try and use Shell V power (99 RON) but if I can't find one of them I use Esso 97/98 RON supreme plus. Unfortunatley the previous owner only used crap fuel which probably didn't help :-(.

Yeah inlet manifold or the tumble flap gave up last year so need to get that sorted also (damn engine light).

If cost is an issue, you'll have seen you can safely buy a manufactured exhaust from Klarius.

Hopefully @Teresa will be along later with her advice and comments - she's at Kimbolton today. She has the advantage over me in that she owns an FSI (I have a 1.4 AUA engined A2 which is really straightforward in comparison)

If cost is an issue, you'll have seen you can safely buy a manufactured exhaust from Klarius.

Hopefully @Teresa will be along later with her advice and comments - she's at Kimbolton today. She has the advantage over me in that she owns an FSI (I have a 1.4 AUA engined A2 which is really straightforward in comparison)
Hi. Yes sorry been a bit busy. I'll post properly when I get home from work ?

Hi. Yes, I had a stainless steel exhaust made by Infinity last year, having been for a ride in Steve's and seen how nippy his 1.4 was as a result.
It did have a big impact both in terms of acceleration (whilst not quite the same, it now reminds me of my old Mk 2 golf gti) and improved fuel economy (about 40-50 miles extra per tank).
The two downsides are that one of the cats is already rattling and i get a reading of cat level not reached. But it doesn't put the EML on and emissions are very low and well within the mot range). The other one was the cost - just over £800. But I intend to keep her and it has a lifetime warranty (the exhaust, but not the cats).

If you plan to keep the car, it's definitely worth it. It took just over half a day to do and they are in the middle of nowhere so if not local, you have to wait. Quite a nice waiting area and they are happy for you to watch as they make and fit it.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions

Hi. Yes, I had a stainless steel exhaust made by Infinity last year, having been for a ride in Steve's and seen how nippy his 1.4 was as a result.
It did have a big impact both in terms of acceleration (whilst not quite the same, it now reminds me of my old Mk 2 golf gti) and improved fuel economy (about 40-50 miles extra per tank).
The two downsides are that one of the cats is already rattling and i get a reading of cat level not reached. But it doesn't put the EML on and emissions are very low and well within the mot range). The other one was the cost - just over £800. But I intend to keep her and it has a lifetime warranty (the exhaust, but not the cats).

If you plan to keep the car, it's definitely worth it. It took just over half a day to do and they are in the middle of nowhere so if not local, you have to wait. Quite a nice waiting area and they are happy for you to watch as they make and fit it.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions

Thanks Teresa

Yeah I'm not planning on selling the car so this might be a great option for me, plus I think it could do with a bit more zip, like you I too use to have a Mk2 Golf GTI which I loved so would be great to get a bit more ponies out of my 1.6 and economy. Plus as a stainless system I need not every worry about the exhaust again (apart form the cats).

Did they also supply the cats along with the SS exhaust? Also do you have their contacts details for Infinity such as a website details?

Thanks again for your help

Russ

Thanks Teresa

Yeah I'm not planning on selling the car so this might be a great option for me, plus I think it could do with a bit more zip, like you I too use to have a Mk2 Golf GTI which I loved so would be great to get a bit more ponies out of my 1.6 and economy. Plus as a stainless system I need not every worry about the exhaust again (apart form the cats).

Did they also supply the cats along with the SS exhaust? Also do you have their contacts details for Infinity such as a website details?

Thanks again for your help

Russ
yes, they provided the cats, but they are cheap ones which is probably why they are rattling a little. I'm not too fussed as it doesn't affect the MOT.
As you are planning on keeping your FSI, it is worth getting the manifold sorted. I went for all new parts and it was just over a grand in total, but it is such a difference. She is so fabulous to drive now. And the EML only comes on very occasionally for random reasons now

yes, they provided the cats, but they are cheap ones which is probably why they are rattling a little. I'm not too fussed as it doesn't affect the MOT.
As you are planning on keeping your FSI, it is worth getting the manifold sorted. I went for all new parts and it was just over a grand in total, but it is such a difference. She is so fabulous to drive now. And the EML only comes on very occasionally for random reasons now

Thanks Theresa

Wow the costs keep adding up :) Thanks again for the info did you get the manifold from the same exhaust company as the main exhaust (Infinity) and is it any thing special like a 4, 2, 1 stainless manifold???

Late to this but Powerflow also make exhausts while you wait. Not sure if this helps but may be an option. I have had one done by them and was very happy. Lifetime warranty too.

Late to this but Powerflow also make exhausts while you wait. Not sure if this helps but may be an option. I have had one done by them and was very happy. Lifetime warranty too.
Thanks Buddy, are they in Sittingbourne as that is pretty close to where I live in Kent. Also is the exhaust more of a performance version as if I'm going the Custom route I'd like to try and free as many ponies as possible to give it a bit more get up and go!

Thanks Buddy, are they in Sittingbourne as that is pretty close to where I live in Kent. Also is the exhaust more of a performance version as if I'm going the Custom route I'd like to try and free as many ponies as possible to give it a bit more get up and go!

Powerflow are the largest franchise stainless steel exhaust system supplier in the UK. There are two potential problems with using Powerflow. The first is that the quality of the work is very dependent on the individual doing it. The second is that Powerflow use MIG welding, rather than the preferred TIG welding. They use MIG because it's easier to train the builders and comes in cheaper. Unfortunately it means that the welds in your exhaust will, sooner or later, rust.

What Steve said...

It all depends on the fitter so go round and ask questions first and see how they work and what they do. Personally, after checking our local one out I was happy with the work, the fit, and the price. It was a free flow one and wasn't noisy at all.

The only experience I have of another similar company ..was a good friend who had a system made up ..was without doubt the worst welding I’ve ever seen ...a five year old could have done better they used the proper stainless mig wire ? but but the top third of joints where not welded at all so you could hear hear hissing & blowing various joints...... The correct way of doing a stainless exhaust system is to tack it all in place take it down and tig weld it ..you get what you pay for unfortunately..perhaps the company name should be changed to bodge it and scarper ...

Thanks Theresa

Wow the costs keep adding up :) Thanks again for the info did you get the manifold from the same exhaust company as the main exhaust (Infinity) and is it any thing special like a 4, 2, 1 stainless manifold???
Hi. No my garage got the manifold. I'm not too sure what it's made of to be honest - almost looks aluminium, but I'm sure it isn't
It is worth it when you get them running properly. I love mine big time ?

Back