Exhaust welding Cheshire

froggy

Looking for anybody who can cut out a section of exhaust and weld a new flexi back on the car. Found a few who will repair if I take the exhaust to them but it has to be welded back on the car also. If anybody knows somebody suitable in and around the Cheshire area give me a shout ??

Cheers
Rob.

North Cheshire - almost! PipeWerx in Burscough are highly recommended (by me!) and did just this job for Tank earlier in the year. New flexi and new sports diesel catalyst inserted for MOT purposes. Geoff there will do everything on the car and in situ. Don't confuse the bike exhaust company next door with the car exhaust company.

Hi Rob, try CES, Chester Exhaust services I think it stands for), I managed to get a tdi front flexi new for about £120, by the time you put labour and flexi together, this may end up being a cheaper version. Give me a bell if you want.
Andy

North Cheshire - almost! PipeWerx in Burscough are highly recommended (by me!) and did just this job for Tank earlier in the year. New flexi and new sports diesel catalyst inserted for MOT purposes. Geoff there will do everything on the car and in situ. Don't confuse the bike exhaust company next door with the car exhaust company.
Great shout on this company, I work in Liverpool a lot and my brother had excellent work done there - sadly for me the next slot they have available is second week of January 2022!!

Had absolutely no luck at all in my surrounding area. I think WOM are busy for a while and every garage I have contacted will not touch it or don’t have the right gear.

As a very temporary repair until I can get this sorted properly, has anybody had any experience of the various exhaust tapes/epoxy fillers? Any kind of clamp/sheet repair is a no no but a flexible tape just for now?

Inside the cabin is not too bad at all with the vents shut but outside is toxic with engine running. If the tape is no good, would it be a bad idea to just run like this until I can find somebody to do the repair?

Thanks for that, they do not do welding themselves but outsource to another company ‘down the road’ I will have a look on google maps so I can possibly go direct ??
I don't know what part of Cheshire you are in but might be worth giving either of these two outfits a call as they must both have welding capability.

I have used the latter outfit for a custom stainless system with cats on an S8, not particularly cheap but it fitted well and is still working well.

Ok, so after quite a few rejections, I’ve found a garage that have the time and will have a go at the custom flexi pipe weld. Trouble is, they told me, (as did everybody else) if the studs snap at the engine end of the exhaust (he did say mine looked not too bad) then they will have to be drilled out and things will get expensive.

As it is, he estimated around 3 hours to remove, jig up so it doesn’t move (whatever that means) cut out and replace the flexi and weld it all back onto the car - £150 ish. He thinks it will be cheaper to buy the whole front section new (which I may be able to get for £180) and then less time needed to do the job.

My thinking is, if the studs snap, then it will be expensive anyway and the £180 could be spent on fixing that issue, when I have the flexi and joiner parts already, for only £32 off eBay. So, I think I will take a chance and just get the flexi part welded in.

In the meantime, it will take a couple of weeks to get the extra funds together (in case things go wrong with the studs) has anybody used exhuast tape on a flexi with any success - even if short term? I really could do with the heater blower to de-mist the windscreen, but will probably gas myself at the minute!

In the end I took your advice, despite being extremely busy, one of the Geoff’s has now very generously squeezed me in next week, as long as I leave the car there for a few days. Will post some photos once it’s done and after a lot of disappointment, this seems exactly the right place to do this job. Thank you ?

Despite some difficulties with the turbo end studs that were very reluctant to come undone, Geoff at Piperwerx has done it!! The car feels and sounds very different and I am definitely a very happy customer.

Attachments

• 74142CEF-381C-48D7-B598-DE3D41ABC1DC.png
    74142CEF-381C-48D7-B598-DE3D41ABC1DC.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
He's a good bloke and does a great job. He's into his Audis too albeit more performance oriented than our little aluminium chums. Glad you're happy.

Back