Experiencing multiple problems

fAier

Hi,

i am having a couple of different problems with my A2 and i am looking for some input before i start trying to fix the problems.

1. The heater is living its own life, if i press Auto on/off it will blast full fan speed for a short while before stopping, this can go on for 30-90 minutes whilest driving before it actually starts working as normal.

2. When starting the car, it some times uses some extra seconds before actualy trying to start the engine and when it does it gives a really loud whining sound. I am guessing there is some problem with the starter of some sorts.

3. I live in Norway, so in the winter time when it is below 3 degrees the car will drain the battery if i don't take the car out for a drive during 24-hours. I suspect there is a problem with a diesel heater or something running at night (i smell diesel when the car is parked, coming from a small exchaust in the front.) In the summer time there are no problems with the battery draining.

4. When the car is washed there is leaking water through the back of the sun roof, is there any way to tighten the mechanism for the roof so it closes better or is this just a worn out gasket?

Welcome to A2OC. I'm certain someone more knowledgeable will be here soon though I'll do what I can. Have you got access to diagnostics, will likely be needed?
1. Don't know, may come back to this.
2. Starter motor squeal is well documented though shouldn't add to starter time.
3. I don't believe the auxiliary heater is designed to run without ignition, has someone modified it to enable this?
4. Everything you need should be here (guessing your German is better than mine). :)

Thanks for the Wiki on the OSS. Yeah i will be checking the drainage channels first too see if this is the problem. Thanks!

No1 the blower motor is partially seized. Remove it clean it and lubricate the bearings. If it then spins freely refit it. If still reluctant to spin or stops quickly then replace it. No2 remove and clean the starter, check the brushes and replace if needed. No3 may be some modification for cold climate perhaps @bretti_kivi can shed light on it. No4 either drains or broken down sealant, try looking at some of the threads on OSS repair.

Back