Fairy Lights A2

Pastis53

The EML on my 1.6 A2 has been on for the last eight years. If I disconnect the battery for a short period and reconnect the EML goes off for a day or two or at least sufficient time to pass the MOT. Sometimes on reconnecting the EPC will light up but that is not an MOT failure…yet! The car runs fine with no obvious problems even though the MIL and/or the EPC lights may be on. To accompany the EML, this week the alternator/battery light lit up, followed by the Power Steering warning light. The power steering does fail but If I turn the engine off whilst moving and restart the light goes out and power returns to the steering. The restored power steering may last minutes or hours before the power is lost again. I have been using my bike as much as possible since this fault developed and so covered few miles in the wounded A2. I can also hear at least an intermittent noise from a relay/switch??? that appears to be located somewhere beneath the dashboard and the radio will go off for a couple of seconds before returning. My question is can a failed alternator (and/or battery??) cause all these additional problems due to a lack of voltage or has my time with the A2 coming to an end because of the potential cost of repair. Any advice or help would be gratefully received.

Sounds like the battery or alternator to me - had similar earlier in the year when my alternator packed up and wasn’t charging the battery
All the best
Dave

The EML on my 1.6 A2 has been on for the last eight years. If I disconnect the battery for a short period and reconnect the EML goes off for a day or two or at least sufficient time to pass the MOT. Sometimes on reconnecting the EPC will light up but that is not an MOT failure…yet! The car runs fine with no obvious problems even though the MIL and/or the EPC lights may be on. To accompany the EML, this week the alternator/battery light lit up, followed by the Power Steering warning light. The power steering does fail but If I turn the engine off whilst moving and restart the light goes out and power returns to the steering. The restored power steering may last minutes or hours before the power is lost again. I have been using my bike as much as possible since this fault developed and so covered few miles in the wounded A2. I can also hear at least an intermittent noise from a relay/switch??? that appears to be located somewhere beneath the dashboard and the radio will go off for a couple of seconds before returning. My question is can a failed alternator (and/or battery??) cause all these additional problems due to a lack of voltage or has my time with the A2 coming to an end because of the potential cost of repair. Any advice or help would be gratefully received.
The 8 year EML will probably be the notorious lower inlet manifold flaps.

So many symptoms you really need a proper VCDS scan to get anywhere with diagnosis.

Is the battery original? If so it will have an 8Z.number or post a picture. If not original do you know how old it is?

Andy

I was told that my 2003 (mid) 1.6 fsi was exempt from the EML MOT inspection, so mine always passes...

I'm sure the MOT EML rule only applies to cars registered from July 2003 onwards. So early FSI's ('52 and early-mid '03 plates) can't get failed for EML. I wonder if they look up the actual registration date on '03 cars or just wave it through? A '53 or later definitely shouldn't pass an MOT with EML though.

Sounds like the battery or alternator to me - had similar earlier in the year when my alternator packed up and wasn’t charging the battery
All the best
Dave
Thanks for the reply. Did you have just the alternator/battery light on or was it combined with any other warning lights? Did you replace the alternator yourself? I do not have much faith in my very expensive local Audi dealer.

The 8 year EML will probably be the notorious lower inlet manifold flaps.

So many symptoms you really need a proper VCDS scan to get anywhere with diagnosis.

Is the battery original? If so it will have an 8Z.number or post a picture. If not original do you know how old it is?

Andy
Thanks for the reply Andy. I take it that the lower inlet manifold flap is a common problem but I was wondering how easy it is to check (if possible) or correct? Battery is original or at least 9 years old but is holding charge and if charged up for 24 hours the warning light does not go out when stating for the first time. Do I have to go to the local Audi dealer to have the scan as I do not have much faith in them from past experience.
Steve

Nine years your battery is past it. As for a scan find someone who has VCDS local to you and have them scan and post results. Check your battery and alternator by using a meter on the battery terminals, static voltage, starting voltage and running voltage.

I'm sure the MOT EML rule only applies to cars registered from July 2003 onwards. So early FSI's ('52 and early-mid '03 plates) can't get failed for EML. I wonder if they look up the actual registration date on '03 cars or just wave it through? A '53 or later definitely shouldn't pass an MOT with EML though.
Thanks for reply. Unfortunately, my FSI is a late 2004 and so the EML rule appears to apply. ? Steve

Nine years your battery is past it. As for a scan find someone who has VCDS local to you and have them scan and post results. Check your battery and alternator by using a meter on the battery terminals, static voltage, starting voltage and running voltage.
Sorry for being so thick, its an age thing, but when you say "find someone who has VCDS local to you and have them scan and post results" do you mean a fellow private enthusiast or a garage? I will dig out my multimeter and run some tests tomorrow. Do you know how difficult it is to replace the alternator? I would love to hold on to the A2 but with the cost of repairs at Audi I will have to get my hands dirty (again) and tackle some repairs and maintenance myself. Steve

Yes either a member on here or someone who has a car from the VW group all can use VCDS, some independent garages also use it. You even see people offering their service on ebay. Please try to avoid taking it to Audi they know very little about A2s. The alternator is not too difficult to change, the main thing to remember is that if you are not repacing the belt mark the direction it was running in to ensure you put it back on the same way. Check the battery first as it is now past it anyway. The weak point of all A2s are their electrics and a bad battery can take you down all sorts of blind alleys, make sure you get the correct ampage for your engine.

Here is the manual page for replacing the alternator..

Thanks for the reply Andy. I take it that the lower inlet manifold flap is a common problem but I was wondering how easy it is to check (if possible) or correct? Battery is original or at least 9 years old but is holding charge and if charged up for 24 hours the warning light does not go out when stating for the first time. Do I have to go to the local Audi dealer to have the scan as I do not have much faith in them from past experience.
Steve
Yes, the manifold intake flaps fault is a well known fault with the 1.6 FSI BAD engine, all FSI's will suffer from it at some stage from 60k onwards but usually a bit later. Regrettably it leads to the scrapping of many as the repair cost is potentially up to £800+ and that's a cheap independent garage, double that at least at Audi, obviously a lot cheaper DIY, but it does depend on what's failed. Dozens of hours reading on here if you care to search which will give some idea what to check but it is limited and not simple, a full strip down is the only way really. HOWEVER let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's only my prediction, a scan will confirm, you do not want to see '17439 Set point not reached' (from memory).

As to a VCDS scan, not Audi they will probably charge you £100 for 5 minutes work and a diagnosis, a local garage should be in the order £35 or maybe free especially if they think it might lead to work. The free option is to seek out a local member on here who will offer you a scan, I am almost sure there are other members in Bournemouth and certainly several on the south coast, but if they have VCDS I do not know.

It might well time to buy a new battery, the best/good current option is a Varta F19 at about £100.

Enough for now, chin up.

Andy

Last edited:
Yes, the manifold intake flaps fault is a well known fault with the 1.6 FSI BAD engine, all FSI's will suffer from it at some stage from 60k onwards but usually a bit later. Regrettably it leads to the scrapping of many as the repair cost is potentially up to £800+ and that's a cheap independent garage, double that at least at Audi, obviously a lot cheaper DIY, but it does depend on what's failed. Dozens of hours reading on here if you care to search which will give some idea what to check but it is limited and not simple, a full strip down is the only way really. HOWEVER let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's only my prediction, a scan will confirm, you do not want to see '17439 Set point not reached' (from memory).

As to a VCDS scan, not Audi they will probably charge you £100 for 5 minutes work and a diagnosis, a local garage should be in the order £35 or maybe free especially if they think it might lead to work. The free option is to seek out a local member on here who will offer you a scan, I am almost sure there are other members in Bournemouth and certainly several on the south coast, but if they have VCDS I do not know.

It might well time to buy a new battery, the best/good current option is a Varta F19 at about £100.

Enough for now, chin up.

Andy
Thanks Andy. I will check voltages tomorrow if I can find my volt meter. I will get the battery checked out tomorrow as well. The EML problem does disappear for sufficient time to pass an MOT if I disconnect and reconnect the battery and unlike other members on the forum the motor has run fine for over 8 years with no obvious EML related problems. My concern was if a failed battery or alternator could also cause a problem with the power steering or that was just a coincidence. Or maybe this was the start of another major and expensive problem with something like the ECC (I think thats the correct abbreviation). Really appreciate your help and time but now its over to me to do some digging.
Footnote: Anybody out there who could help with a VCDS in Poole, Bournemouth or Dorset?

Yes either a member on here or someone who has a car from the VW group all can use VCDS, some independent garages also use it. You even see people offering their service on ebay. Please try to avoid taking it to Audi they know very little about A2s. The alternator is not too difficult to change, the main thing to remember is that if you are not repacing the belt mark the direction it was running in to ensure you put it back on the same way. Check the battery first as it is now past it anyway. The weak point of all A2s are their electrics and a bad battery can take you down all sorts of blind alleys, make sure you get the correct ampage for your engine.

Thanks for the info and link to changing the alternator. I will check battery voltages under various conditions tomorrow if I can find my volt meter. I will get the battery checked out tomorrow as well. Really appreciate your help and time but now its over to me to do some digging.
Footnote: Anybody out there who could help with a VCDS in Poole, Bournemouth or Dorset?
Many Thanks Steve

Thanks Andy. I will check voltages tomorrow if I can find my volt meter. I will get the battery checked out tomorrow as well. The EML problem does disappear for sufficient time to pass an MOT if I disconnect and reconnect the battery and unlike other members on the forum the motor has run fine for over 8 years with no obvious EML related problems. My concern was if a failed battery or alternator could also cause a problem with the power steering or that was just a coincidence. Or maybe this was the start of another major as nd expensive problem with something like the ECC (I think thats the correct abbreviation). Really appreciate your help and time but now its over to me to do some digging.
Another word on the FSI manifold fault. Generally speaking such a fault normally impacts very little on the driving experience apart from illuminating the EML for the average normal 'sedate' (not boy racer) driver. With the philosophy 'it drives okay, why fix it' I am sure many FSI's have been driven for years with the fault, I should know I drove mine for 3 years, just got fed up with eml in the end and had it fixed; it is only now with eml on = MOT fail that it has come to matter. After the fault has been fixed the FSI will have a far more noticeable smooth spring in its step, but if you have never had it you will not notice it, and probably a small increase in mpg.

Back to your main concern of the intermittant loss of power steering. Yes, the power steering pump is electrically driven so a below par battery/alternator would cause this. By coincidence I remember this, down to to mention of the radio cutting out like your experience!

Andy

Last edited:
Look up PlasticMac on here. He is in Dorset and it looks like he has VCDS.
Do a member search.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hello
I can confirm an EML lit on a 53 plate A2 is an automatic failed MOT. I had to get mine fixed. Several faults but the main one was the manifold.
For the Power Steering, I had that fault on my daily and it was indeed the battery. But it had been drained by a fault on my CCCU, the doors kept trying to locked while already locked. @Mustang-owner swapped it for a spare one and I never had any trouble again with the new battery.

Bournemouth is a bit far for Hayling Island. Furthermore, I am not in UK right now. But will be back after the 29th.
Hope you'll get it sorted.

Back