Fantasy F1

the grim reeper

A2OC Donor
Are we doing the fantasy F1 this year?, i missed this last year, by the time i realised you was doing this it was to late

Cheers Phil

I Will be doing this again as soon as it appears on the VirginMedia website
i liked the Virgin one last year as it was Free to enter and they
updated the scores fairly quickly ........
The one we entered the year before was painfully slow so start thinking of a name for your team LOL !!!!

Hopefully more people will enter this year .....

Yes it semed to creep up had seen it posted the year before but i joined in the july so way to late for that one was looking out for it las yr but again missed it, but this yr been on here alot more so should catch it this yr

Cheers Phil

Should be an interesting year if pre-season shakedowns are anything to go by - very close and I can't see Hamilton winning back to back titles - McClaren seem to be way off the pace at the moment, and with the ban on mid-season testing, I don't think they'll come good by much as the year progresses.

Cheers,

Mike

Unless they are sand bagging just to see what the others are capable off, but i don't think they are. As for Brawn GP well he did tell honda next year is are year and i hope he tranfers the testing to the race, this year should be good, it would be nice to see Jenson back at the top and it not all about Hamilton

Cheers Phil

I Think Mclaren have been around long enough to be able to turn things around i did'nt think Hamilton would win the Championship last year as he threw it away the year before and then look what happened ....I Think once we get a couple of races in then Mclaren and Ferrari will once again be the ones to beat ....

There have been more changes on this years cars than any year i can remember so it will obviously benefit the smaller teams for awhile as it should be a more even playing field at the start .....

Anyone seen the New F1 Advert what a joke and the BBC F1website is no where near as good as the ITV one so i hope they get that sorted out as well .....

I Think Vettel And Kubica will be the one's to watch this year .....

Watch this Space ...

F1 pre-season testing

This 2009 F1 season promises to be mixing things up considerably.

I was in Jerez in Spain from 2nd to 4th March to watch the cars in action [for those of us who feel the 'owch' of the cost of Grand Prix ticket prices, its worth considering: 7 hours of F1 action each day in open stands, 5 euro in and 1 euro for all day car park - only 10 mins from Jerez airport and 'Ruinair' fly direct there from Stansted - Malaga airport is 2 hours 20 mins away]

Alonso certainly seemed to be enjoying the Renault 29 - it appeared to be the sort of car in which he has confidence. He was throwing it into the corners like at Singapore last year. Over the two days they and Ferrari looked the most impressive and consistent. Michael Schumacher was out and about at various corners eyeing up the opposition's handling as well as keeping a watch on Raikonnen and Massa.

The BMW engine has a particularly raw sound when decelerating, their back end was stepping out a bit but they were putting in decent times. Toyota have a tidy chassis - possibly their best ever? And Red Bull look to have a sharp front end, their nose reminds me of the '96 Williams, both Newey's of course.

Even a couple of weeks ago it was obvious that McLaren do have a serious aero problem. They were still running their (much wider) 2008 rear wing. Heikki ran a 2009 spec wing for a short time on the Tuesday whilst Lewis Hamilton ran the old wing for all of Wednesday. He got a very warm welcome from the Alonso fans of course and then proceeded to spin in front of the main stand on the next lap, much to their delight!

There were very few breakdowns during the test days (I expected more with the KERS system being so new) and not many 'offs'. Amazing reliability!

The Brawn Racing hadn't been launched at the time. They are putting in some seriously fast times, but I do have a 'caveat' nagging at me that they are running underweight in a desperate attempt to get some last minute sponsorship. Their former incarnation BAR did that several seasons ago. Still they would not be running anything close to where they are without having a tidy car all the same.

I am really looking forward to watching an entire GP without ad breaks. I gave up on ITV and used follow it on Setanta Sports (available here in Dublin)
Gary Anderson, the former Jordan and Stewart designer gives some excellent commentary on it.

I think the year that BAR was running very well pre season was the year Jenson was giving Shui some troubles for the early part of the season

Cheers Phil

BAR... was it 2004?

Yes, Phil,

In pre-season testing at Jerez in 2004 (the last time I was there before this year!) BAR Honda had a tidy chassis. Once or twice in the day, they would go out in qualifying trim and set some amazing times which had some pundits talking about championship wins etc. But realistically, it looked as though they were running without any ballast in order to attract a big sponsor. Remember how Honda ran their 'Earthdreams' livery? It was a clever marketing stunt. But it could also be argued that it was a neat cover up for the fact that they couldnt get a big sponsor in the way that Toyota got Panasonic, Denso and the like.

Of course, with perfect timing - after I wrote yesterday about Mclaren having an aero problem, up pops Kovaleinen yesterday afternoon with some good times in Jerez! They have tweaked their rear diffuser to give them extra rear end grip. :)

Last edited:
Back