First look and impressions

WayneoA2

As the title says . The car I was originally going to look at had been sold but one popped up less than 15 mins away so this was my chance to see if it was a car for me ... an old mate picked me up in his mint 06 3.2 quattro A4 that I nearly peed my pants in. Drove to the yard and all though it was not the best example I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of room and build quality. My mate was baffled when he told me to pop the bonnet and the little flap popped open. ?? . Pretty sure it's a car I can definitely get to grips with as a daily. Not to sure what this is on the roof and I found that the heater vents onto the windscreen were very weak even with the heater blower on full.. ( maybe the pollen filter is blocked ) can anyone shed any lite on this ?? . But on the whole I was proper impressed with how much interior space there was . Looking forward to finding my own little buggy and adding my own personal touch to it ...
But in the mean time what does this do ? ? and when fitting a double din is is just a case of a fascia panel and moving the heater control panel down ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210102-144621_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210102-144621_Gallery.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_20210102-144640_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210102-144640_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
If the cabin air filter isn't properly in situ (or is badly clogged), you can get a large amount of air being blown into the passenger footwell around the carrier frame with only a fraction of the expected air going out of the vents - worth turning the fans up high and sticking a hand into that footwell or listening for a suitably large amount of inappropriate wind noise down there.

Secondly - by the look of things despite the pixellation of the image your car already has double-din ; the heater control panel is already in the lowest slot where the cubby hole is in my car, so putting an RNS-E in instead of the Pioneer would be a case of popping the existing radio out and putting the Audi one in (and removing any wiring converters etc. sitting in the space behind.).

The thing on the roof contains the map reading lights and the wee fold down sun-blocking flap that goes over the rear-view mirror, and aren't the vents on the rear of this to do with the alarm?

If the cabin air filter isn't properly in situ (or is badly clogged), you can get a large amount of air being blown into the passenger footwell around the carrier frame with only a fraction of the expected air going out of the vents - worth turning the fans up high and sticking a hand into that footwell or listening for a suitably large amount of inappropriate wind noise down there.

Secondly - by the look of things despite the pixellation of the image your car already has double-din ; the heater control panel is already in the lowest slot where the cubby hole is in my car, so putting an RNS-E in instead of the Pioneer would be a case of popping the existing radio out and putting the Audi one in (and removing any wiring converters etc. sitting in the space behind.).

The thing on the roof contains the map reading lights and the wee fold down sun-blocking flap that goes over the rear-view mirror, and aren't the vents on the rear of this to do with the alarm?
The double din pic is just a random pic I found on Ebay

Not discounting the pollen filter, but if the car had the round heater control knobs, the lack of demisting could be that the cable for the air direction flap was disconnected. It's not trivial to move these controls to the lower position for double-DIN fitment, although it's been done (by @depronman). If the car had climate control, poor demist output could also be the servo motor for the air direction flap being stuck, if the fan itself sounded busy. Climate control panels exist in single- and double-DIN configuration (rounded lower corners) although you can convert single to double if you're handy enough with a file and sandpaper.

I believe the sensor for the interior motion alarm is indeed behind that vent in the roof panel.

Not discounting the pollen filter, but if the car had the round heater control knobs, the lack of demisting could be that the cable for the air direction flap was disconnected. It's not trivial to move these controls to the lower position for double-DIN fitment, although it's been done (by @depronman). If the car had climate control, poor demist output could also be the servo motor for the air direction flap being stuck, if the fan itself sounded busy. Climate control panels exist in single- and double-DIN configuration (rounded lower corners) although you can convert single to double if you're handy enough with a file and sandpaper.

I believe the sensor for the interior motion alarm is indeed behind that vent in the roof panel.
Had the climate control fitted . And sounds like I will be looking into some sand paper and files then... .
Regards the vents in the roof we did think I was possible it was to do regards sensors etc . But it looked like it was some sort of " fresh air " vent ... it had us both puzzled ...

Back