Fix or Scrap

Scudney

Took my 2001 A2 down my garage to have its cambelt done today,my garage in the process discovered an oil leak(spark plug in cylinder 4 sitting in oil so cam .......will need resealing),abs ecu fault etc see pic below Question is should I fix it or count my losses and possibly scrap it.Thoughts and ideas appreciated
20210330_183701.jpg

What lights do you have up on the dash?
What actually isn't working?
Did they clear the codes and try again?
Has it had a low or flat battery recently? This can produce a wonderful array of fault codes.

First thing: don't be rushed into snap decisions based on a garage scan. Also you've not given any details of the car: condition, miles, nice options, what it means to you (it's been cherished part of family for years in lovely condition vs £250 nail picked up from bloke behind the pub last Friday).

Anyway, nothing there fills me with particular dread at this stage: more info required though :)

Took my 2001 A2 down my garage to have its cambelt done today,my garage in the process discovered an oil leak(spark plug in cylinder 4 sitting in oil so cam .......will need resealing),abs ecu fault etc see pic below Question is should I fix it or count my losses and possibly scrap it.Thoughts and ideas appreciated View attachment 78314
Evening John,

Pleas do add more details. Mileage etcetera.

I know Ive seen this A2 some weeks ago now and remember it being a SE, from memory it is a 5 seater with no additional optional extras.

On the scans I run when it was here there was an intermittent Steering Angle Sensor fault. Not always showing and it would clear but come back every now and then.

Knowing how you came into possession I can only guess it has family sentimental value.

The list of faults shown along with the exhaust leak around the flexi joint shouldn't be something to put you off from keeping this on the road.

As I said earlier, like most this is a little rough around the edges (just like both of mine) but there is a nice car there which with some TLC will be reliable for many more years.

Kind regards,

Tom

At the moment just the ABS and A(asr) light come on intermittently but they both go out once you start the car.Car is a base model with just under 80.000 miles and 5 seats and has been owned by my elderly mum for the last 7 years and she has spent a fair bit on it

Thanks for the reminder John,

I’d class it as fairly low mileage. I know I’d keep it going at as it seemed a nice reliable honest A2, niggles aside.

It also now has 2 working keys!

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Oil in the spark plug recess is common, Adams BBY had this issue when we bought it in summer 2017, we never got too concerned about it, just mopped up and left it and it’s never caused an issue. As long as it a small leak I wouldn’t be too worried. It’s just an age thing and oil will always leak somewhere on these engines.
Ian

My number 3 cylinder had oil in the spark plug well when I changed the plugs not long after buying the car dec 2019. When I did my service Feb 2021 I had less then 5ml but that was only 2500 miles so I'm not overly concerned.
John

Back