Fixing faded arches on the Colourstorm

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Many of you Colourstorm owners out there are suffering in silence with your light grey faded arches and mirrors that should be black.

You may have tried all sorts of products the keep them black, back to black, bumper shine, tyre shine etc etc. The problem is the blackwork on the Colourstorm is paint not rubber and so these products simply wash off.

To make the arches etc black you need to remove a very fine top layer of sun damaged paintwork.

See the attached video

Here I’m using Meguirs ultimate compound and a dual action polisher. Both of which are safe enough not to cut through to the base coat.

This is a permanent colour change to black; you won’t need to add products too it every week, but it would appreciate a coating of a decent wax to keep its hydrated.

Here’s a larger image of the wing that I’ve just done for @nod before collection.

A71D01E9-EDA5-498E-9A34-78858A3ED46D.jpeg

Before anyone sheds a tear for this Colourstorm breaker unfortunately this is the engine bay. The car has been left out in all weathers for 4 years with no bonnet on after having its engine removed.
AA6E1FBE-A502-4E14-ADB3-150DAF0347DD.jpeg

Certainly brings it up well Steve that's for sure.
I have the same compound, it is fantastic stuff if you only want to cut a really fine amount of the surface.
My issue is they just seem to chip so much easier than standard paintwork, like the old soft paint on solid blacks from back in the day.
I was weighing up between wrapping the main areas, or using plasti dip (not sure whether this has been tried before?) to protect them better long term. Looks nice and easy to bring them up if they have just gone flat though! ?

It will probably dry up slightly over the next couple of days so that it’s more Matt in finish but the colour will remain.

I haven’t tried it on the roof, but seeing as it’s a breaker then if anyone would want me to test run it on the roof then I’m happy to.

Back