Fractured Front Earth Point

10DJM

Had some starting issues with my 1.4 TDI and as suspected it was an earthing problem.
Unfortunately as warned in previous threads the front starter motor cable earth bolt fractured off.
As access to remove fractured stud is extremely limited and alternative earthing point is required.... any suggestions?
Cheers Duncan.

Evening sir, I used this thread recently to add an earth to the blue storm. I used circa 30cm cable(25mm² csa).

If you want to retain the original cable I believe that there's an alternative bolt you can use on or near to the gearbox mount.

I have to do this job soon and I'm presuming the bolt will snap for me too. My question is, can you attach another earth cable to the existing one giving you more length/options or does it have to be a certain length? I will be insulating the joint. Thanks.

Nothing to o stop you joining an extension cable although the joint has to take a high current, you'd also be adding an additional weak point. There's no need to insulate the joint, protecting it from the elements is useful though can create a problem if not done well(the original suffers due to the heat shrink insulation holding water.

The week before I would soak it several times with penetrating fluid, Plusgas, WD40 etc - Screwfix do a cheap 'No Nonsense' product.

If it shears joing two straps to extend the length sounds a bad idea, just get a longer strap of the correct spec on eBay for a few pounds - search 'engine earth strap', or note Catnip's suggestion above.

Andy

Thanks Andy, it was mainly because of the access even with the headlight off. If my bolt breaks there would be no way for me to drill it out and I wouldn't know where else to bolt it on to.

Just like to report all sorted now.... new strap fitted as per Howey thread.
Thanks guys for all the info.
Cheers
Duncan

Yes that is the case...but waiting on a slightly longer cable from eBay to replace the existing starter motor earth cable which I will attach to a gearbox mount stud on that side.
I will leave the new strap in place however. Two earths better than one.
D.

Back