Front brake sticking

Last week I took my A2 out for a quick spin - 20 miles, including a brief blast up the motorway. When I got back I could smell something hot as soon as I got out. A quick look revealed this to be the front offside disc. It wasn't glowing red but I could feel the heat coming from it and the alloys were hot to the touch.
Strangely, the car hadn't given any signs of a brake issue - no pulling to the left or a soft pedal.
I left it a couple of days then took it out again (not as far just a couple of miles) and all seems well.
My question: I'm assuming the piston had stuck and when I went back out a couple of sharp stabs on the pedal freed the pads off - but how likely am I to see the problem recur?
And it maybe a coincidence but I had to have a front brake ABS sensor and a couple of pipes replaced for the MoT very recently.

I had a similar issue once, it turned out to be small tar covered stone stuck between the disk and the backplate.

the problem is these garages dont do preventative maintenance
even main dealers only do ( the mot requirements )
im a big believer in things need to be right or dont bother
shame your so far away as i would have helped
can you hear any noise ?

it needs wheels off and a proper look at both sides tbh

My experience is that this is normally the piston sticking in the caliper rather than the slide pins. Fairly easy to strip calipers and fit new seals. Kits readily available for less than £20. Most garages these days just fit new calipers as they don't want to spend the time required to overhaul.

Had sticking calipers, ruined discs in no time at all. New pistons and seals fixed it.

Last edited:
Remember to thoroughly examine the piston bores in the calipers for damage and corrosion before replacing the pistons and seals.

Disc brakes rely on the small irregularities in the rotating disc to force the pads away from the disc. The braking system maintains a small positive pressure all the time preventing ingress of road moisture, dirt etc. When the piston sticks, the rotating disc cannot force the pads away and the pressure in the system continues to force them them on to the disc.
Calipers are easy enough to put on and preferable to trying to clean a piston and renew the seals which is fiddly and not by any means a guaranteed success.

I’m not saying that it’s the case here but how many drivers do you see when stopped in traffic or at the lights with their foot on the brakes instead of using the handbrake.
I had an A6 that did the seizing of the callipers not fun, helps if you can open the bleed nipple if really stuck on to get them off.

Back