Front Door Bowden Cable Problem

Philip

Just had to replace the driver’s door Bowden cable, which had snapped at the handle end - they are now obsolete from Audi, so I bought the only new “genuine” one I could find via eBay.

After fitting it (horribly fiddly job to engage the spinning plastic connector into the lock mechanism), it appears that the new cable is fractionally too long - the inner handle now stands proud of the door with the cable attached (see the photo), and there isn’t enough tension to release the latch using the inside handle; with the hook/handle end disconnected, the cable itself works.

As there’s no way of adjusting it, have I been sent the wrong part, or am I missing something obvious?

Attachments

• D341A6F8-BAB1-49B8-BD84-D8D59E599372.jpeg
    D341A6F8-BAB1-49B8-BD84-D8D59E599372.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 90
Hi Philip,

The Bowden cable should hook into the eyelet on the back of the interior handle from underneath. If it is hooked into the eyelet from above, the interior handle doesn’t fully return to its home position.

Cheers,

Tom

Plus one for the above answers.

However you did correctly clip the cable onto the lock assembly?

Hi Philip,

The Bowden cable should hook into the eyelet on the back of the interior handle from underneath. If it is hooked into the eyelet from above, the interior handle doesn’t fully return to its home position.

Cheers,

Tom

I remember you fixing that for me :)

Assume I’ve been sent the wrong part - it‘s hooked from underneath as per the original, clipped at both ends:

Attachments

• 6A9694F2-F787-40E0-98AB-3288B1F8D00C.jpeg
    6A9694F2-F787-40E0-98AB-3288B1F8D00C.jpeg
    860.4 KB · Views: 82
A picture of the lock end would also now be helpful.

That cable is pulling the handle partly open. either the cable is not fitted correctly at the lock end or there is an issue with the grommet as it passes through the inner metal door card or the whole cable is too short.....

What was wrong with your old cable?

Appears the new cable is the wrong length - there’s no way to connect it to the lock incorrectly, and it’s clipped at both ends. The grommet slides over the cable body fairly easily so I can’t see an issue there.

The original cable had snapped about three inches along from the hook/handle end.

OK so probably is the wrong cable then.
Place a wanted advert in Market for a replacement ( but used ) cable.

You will also need to ensure that there is no problem on the lock with the arm that the cable connects to. It needs to have full travel. May even be the reason the original cable broke.

Not sure if the same could happen to an A2, but I have had this issue with an Audi 100 and in that case it was rectified by changing the door lock unit to a less worn one.

Back