Front hub assembly bolt size

thestable

Anyone know what the socket size is for the bolt for the hub assembly?

I’m changing the wheel bearing on the nearside front and don’t have a bolt that size.

Any help would be great so i can go out and get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know what the socket size is for the bolt for the hub assembly?

I’m changing the wheel bearing on the nearside front and don’t have a bolt that size.

Any help would be great so i can go out and get it.

you mean the hub nut for the drive shaft - this is 36mm 12 point
The socket that you get will likely need a very small amount of metal grinding off the outside diameter to allow it to fit inside the hub. I think I paid about £9 for mine from Andrew Page motor factors

Cheers,

Top man! Thanks @depronman also sent payment for cambelt etc. The other day but forgot to message you.

Top man! Thanks @depronman also sent payment for cambelt etc. The other day but forgot to message you.

No problem at all, you have an email sent 15 mins ago, your water pump, belts and check strap left today, but I missed the mail collection so they will be collected from post office Monday, expect them Wednesday ish

The drive shaft nut when through a revision, the early ones are pressed steel and 6 flats, these where replaced with the latter 12 point style, you can and should use the 12 point one on all A2's, they are single use so must be replaced (there are a couple of barbs that are bent and destroyed when you undo the nut)
Owe and you WILL need an hydraulic pusher if the drive shaft as not been out before as Mr Audi used some type of loctite on the splines to prevent fretting. This means that once the nut is removed the shaft must be pushed out of the hub. It is well and truly stuck in the hub. I borrowed an hydraulic pusher from my local garage, without it there was no chance of moving the drive shaft. If someone else as already had the shaft out then you are in for a MUCH easier job :)

Cheers,
Paul

Fingers crossed it’s been off before in that case. Cheers for the advice.

Fingers crossed it’s been off before in that case. Cheers for the advice.

unlikely unless it as had a new CV joint / drive shaft or clutch. All are rather unlikely unless on a very high mileage
Better to be prepared for the problem than not

Best of luck

Back