Front sport spring

Chiefmechanic

My 2003 1.4tdi sport has a broken front spring. Is there a Suitable replacement short of buying one off audi? The spring has three red and one blue dots. Would like to keep original ride height and stiffness. Alternatively if someone had someone had some lying around I’d buy a set.
Brian

I have a spare front spring left over from my rebuild. 1.4 petrol with OSS. If that is any use.

I have a spare front spring left over from my rebuild. 1.4 petrol with OSS. If that is any use.

Unfortunately you need to match to the engine: TDi's have their own springs as the engine is so much heavier than, say, 1.4 petrol.

Not sure on pattern springs: I was certainly able to get a rear TDI one correct for a sunroof (heavier again).

OP: You might need to specify whether you have sunroof when ordering, although others on here will tell you whether the front springs change between roof and non-roof cars. Rears are definitely different.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn’t have OSS. Was hoping someone would have a spring with three red and one blue dots or had changed them out for another aftermarket make that were equivalent.
Brian

Three red dots and one blue dot is OEM part number 6Q0 411 105 AD. These were fitted to VW Polo 9N 1.2 petrol 54HP and 64HP engines and some Seat and Skoda cars.

6Q0 411 105 AD might not be the correct spring for the 1.4 TDI without OSS, as the specification is 11.25mm thickness and 357mm length. The specification of the standard front springs on the 1.4 TDI without OSS is 11.5mm thickness and 338mm length.

Maybe these aren't the original springs. The standard front springs on the Audi A2 1.4 TDI without OSS have OEM part number 8Z0 411 105 AL.

Suplex 8Z0 411 105 AL

Also consider 6Q0 411 105 AC which are similar to 6Q0 411 105 AD except 15mm shorter, so the fitted ride height of the car with 6Q0 411 105 AC springs should be about the same as 8Z0 411 105 AL springs. The 6Q0 411 105 AC springs should give a slightly softer ride than the standard 8Z0 411 105 AL springs, as the coil spring thickness is 0.25mm less.

Suplex 6Q0 411 105 AC

All three springs mentioned in this post have about the same number of coil turns, ie. about 5.5 coil turns.

See gknautomotive.com for their online catalogue. gknautomotive.com have a photo of each spring (so you can count the number of coil turns) and full specifications.

Last edited:
If you have not already done so, its worth checking the colour code dots on the other side just in case the failed one is an 'oddball'

Cheers Spike

Sound advice there as you obviously want to match the replacement to what's remaining on the car not to what you're replacing ?

Sorry to hijack the thread. I have the standard suspension and was wondering what it would take to fit sport suspension? Is it just the springs that need changing or the shocks too? Thanks

Checked the strut I’ve taken off and it’s the same as the one I’ve put on. The other side also matched the three red and one blue dots. Just noticed the other side also has a broken spring.

I have had both sport suspension and standard, if you want to change you would need a set of sport springs, the shocks are fine to re-use.
You would also need you head examining and a spine of steel......you would be taking a car that is already reasonably stiff, lowering it to run on our beatifully pot holes and traffic calmed (sleeping policemen) roads and making the ride harsher.
While some think lower suspension looks better, remember you also have to drive it.

@georgem I'm looking for an A2 and whilst the sport models tend to be better equipped, I'd really rather not have the sports suspension, so this is a minus point on every car I'm seriously considering for this reason.

I really don't understand all this dislike of sports suspension. Our FSI Sport, is, in our (Mrs Mac & I) opinion, a very nice ride. Firm? Yes. Uncomfortable, spine jarring etc? No. As i've said before, each to his own, but, if you're looking to buy, get fellow members to take you for a test run on each OEM option. Check any car to make sure it is, actually OEM, in terms of springs, dampers, wheels and tyres. Anything that differs from OEM is going to mislead you, as it is unlikely to be representative of any other car. Suspension, or more correctly ride is totally subjective. Two different people driving the same car will see it differently, sometimes dramatically so.
Mac.

I really don't understand all this dislike of sports suspension. Our FSI Sport, is, in our (Mrs Mac & I) opinion, a very nice ride. Firm? Yes. Uncomfortable, spine jarring etc? No. As i've said before, each to his own, but, if you're looking to buy, get fellow members to take you for a test run on each OEM option. Check any car to make sure it is, actually OEM, in terms of springs, dampers, wheels and tyres. Anything that differs from OEM is going to mislead you, as it is unlikely to be representative of any other car. Suspension, or more correctly ride is totally subjective. Two different people driving the same car will see it differently, sometimes dramatically so.
Mac.

It also comes down to the condition or amount of wear that the suspension has endured. If a sport model's suspension has been renewed then it should drive lovely, as you say a tad firmer than the SE but fine.

In my opinion what affects the ride of the sport models more is the larger wheels (17") and therefore less tyre sidewall which greatly reduces comfort and making you feel every bump or imperfection in the road.

Added to this further is a lot of the earlier sport wheels were very soft and so liable to pot hole damage and becoming 'out of round' which a lot of owners are never aware of. This makes a huge difference!

Can anyone lead me in the right direction of getting sport springs, I have tried my reg and an a2 sports reg and they come up with the same spring for both. (Eurocarparts)

I would agree with what a2z has said. I’m currently driving a 1.4tdi with sport wheels and it does feel that the suspension is stiffer although it’s still on se springs. I use it mostly for commuting so it’s dual carriageway and good A roads. What I don’t like is the boaty nature when I go round a corner. This is why I’m fixing up a sport to see the difference.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction of getting sport springs, I have tried my reg and an a2 sports reg and they come up with the same spring for both. (Eurocarparts)
Carlston’s post above gives a link to the equivalent sport spring. Had I not found some originals I would have bought them.

Three red dots and one blue dot is OEM part number 6Q0 411 105 AD. These were fitted to VW Polo 9N 1.2 petrol 54HP and 64HP engines and some Seat and Skoda cars.

6Q0 411 105 AD might not be the correct spring for the 1.4 TDI without OSS, as the specification is 11.25mm thickness and 357mm length. The specification of the standard front springs on the 1.4 TDI without OSS is 11.5mm thickness and 338mm length.

Maybe these aren't the original springs. The standard front springs on the Audi A2 1.4 TDI without OSS have OEM part number 8Z0 411 105 AL.

Suplex 8Z0 411 105 AL

Also consider 6Q0 411 105 AC which are similar to 6Q0 411 105 AD except 15mm shorter, so the fitted ride height of the car with 6Q0 411 105 AC springs should be about the same as 8Z0 411 105 AL springs. The 6Q0 411 105 AC springs should give a slightly softer ride than the standard 8Z0 411 105 AL springs, as the coil spring thickness is 0.25mm less.

Suplex 6Q0 411 105 AC

All three springs mentioned in this post have about the same number of coil turns, ie. about 5.5 coil turns.

See gknautomotive.com for their online catalogue. gknautomotive.com have a photo of each spring (so you can count the number of coil turns) and full specifications.
Is the surplex spring for the sport or standard suspension? Thanks

Back