Front suspension ‘twang’

Cenick

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
I think my top mounts may need replacing as I can hear the left spring twanging a lot on turning.

I have some new spidan 49515 springs already, can someone suggest what else would be good to go with these shocks and top mounts.

I’ve had a look and it’s a minefield of choices!

Thanks

Well as the struts are being stripped down you mat as well do the bump stops and gators. Also worth putting new pinch bolt and top mount bolts. cheers mike

And be prepared for the fun that you will have changing the drivers side strut. Very little access even with the brake reservoir out of the way.:mad:
Be careful with the spring compressors, some poorly made ones can slip . Also worth checking the drop links when you disconnect them.

And be prepared for the fun that you will have changing the drivers side strut. Very little access even with the brake reservoir out of the way.:mad:

Yep, I’ve heard it can be a little tricky, to be honest I’m not planning on doing myself for that reason and time is limited!

I'm having similar problems folks, but I have replaced ALL of the parts above, and it is still there...
Springs...check
drop links...check
lower ball joints...check
Strut top mountings...check

I am at my wits end with it....any more advice guys? It does sound like it is coming from the middle of the car rather than one side or the other, especially when reversing off my drive...its doing my head in now!!!!!

Thanks
Andy

I would have suggested spring not seated correctly or broken, but if you've checked them.....Rear shock mounting point? Dogbone mount?

I was wondering about the dog bone...would this cause a loud clunk? I think I'll do that next....cheers Fallan.

Nope nothing on throttle on/off...its usually hard left and right turning at slow speeds...always pointed towards springs to me and the garage, but having replaced them it is still the same....?

It was the strut bearing on my old car where the suspension mounts to body, when those go they do not turn smoothly anymore and spring causes the clang which seems to be common on A2s at 100k+ miles, my current one is starting to get it as well slightly so one of the bearings is going.

Presumably it is the "Strut top mountings...check" but not sure if it is just the mount (i believe there is another bit along with the bearing? not had time to do it myself).

Everything torqued back up after replacement? Loose top mount? Wishbone bushes worn, pendulum mount perished ( diesel leak ), worn CV joint?Bent strut? Broken spring?Loose wheel?

Dry/rusted top mount bearings. I was amazed how little protection there is for them when I changed my springs recently. Lubricated by road wash!

RAB

Parts should be with me Monday, just have to arrange fitting.

Any one know how long it should take to replace both sides? Shocks bush’s spring and top mounts? I believe the drivers side takes longer. Garage is indicating 3 hrs so long as no issues along the way!

that is more than fair, takes me around 4 1/2 hours on the garage floor, and that is assuming the bolts come undone reasonable easy, give them some WD40 a few days before doing the job each day.
Passenger side normally about an hour 15 mins, drivers side is just a pain to get to the three bolts on the top mount

cheers,
Paul

Can easily take 3 hours for just the drivers side. That is assuming the struts are the correct diameter to fit the lower suspension. would not be the first time they will need a little grinding off for a good fit. Then everything has to be reassembled. If they do it in 3 hours best you take them down the pub to say thanks. Bargain...

Back