Front wheel hum/drone?

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone,
I've never had this before so hopefully someone here might have encountered this before on their A2?
I have a strange hum/droning sound from the drivers side front wheel when driving but more accurately it seems to be only when driving around right hand bends, even slight ones. It's fine around left hand bends and straight ahead. Not excessively noisy yet but I know what my car sounds like after 8 yrs ownership and this is puzzling me. All I'm thinking is wheel bearing?
I'm definitely going to get it looked at but would like any suggestions so I can put this forward to my local mechanic.

Thank you in advance for any help

Nigel

Sounds like a perfect example of wheel bearing failing, the A2 requires a special tool that mant garages may not have, think its the 72mm GEN2 so ask ant garage if they have the correct tooling before submitting your car!

I've just replaced my Drivers RHS front bearing, but it was making the noise when being loaded up in a left hand bend and going quiet when turning right. It may be that your failed bearing is on the LHS from the symptoms you suggest.. No noticeable play was noticed in the bearing when mounted on the car, but once removed it certainly felt rougher than the new one. I purchased a gen2 72mm bearing removal tool from ebay (approx £45) to facilitate the removal and fitment, but it needed a small grinding mod to ensure it fitted the replacement bearing which was not Audi brand.
The speed sensor was well rusted into the hub too and could not be removed without damage so prepare to find a replacement should yours be equally fixed in.
There were some good uTube vids on similar VAG cars to assist removal and fitting if you go that way

Hope this helps, not confuses, your diagnosis!

Classic wheel bearing symptoms if noisy when turning left its the right bearing, this is due to the vehicle weight transfering to the opposite side as the right side effectively drags the vehicle around the corner, however this rule is not always bulletproof!

Secondhand hub may be a viable option but maybe not preffered??

SKF
FAG
SNR

Are a few examples of top quality bearings

Perhaps it has forgotten the words:D Listen to the advice you have already been given especially the use of the special tool needed.
I'm laughing the the 'forgotten the words'comment, but totally agree with the special tool comment. Although, to be fair I've sold many complete hubs to make it an easier job for the keen diyer, so that too is an option.

Thanks for all the replies above.:D I'm probably going to a local Garage I've used before as I can't get down this low at my age now;):eek: I will make sure they are aware of the special puller?

If you want to do a quick check I'd recommend jacking up the car at the front one side at a time and attempt to rock the wheel up/down and left/right by gripping the outside of the tyre and just moving it gently. It shouldnt move at all but it you can rock either way it suggests the bearing is gone.

As all others have said, you are probably right about the wheel bearing But do check tyre distortion and tread, as badly worn tyres can cause a ’drone’ noise, again it can be dependant on turn direction because of weight transfer. An easier problem to solve if it is the cause.

Back