Fronts seat question

Gritty

Whilst looking at leather seats on various sites I clocked this rather unusual picture of a leather passenger seat with heavy right hand wear on the bolster normally associated with drivers right hand side bolster?

Which leads me to the question: Can driver seat be swapped over to passengers side and lumbar switch and seat belt slot be transferred?

I thought this may not be possible but how else can the ware on the passenger right side bolster be explained?

Hope this makes sense?

Nope, not seeing that.
Driver's seat bolsters are well worn on the outside.
Passenger's seat bolsters are slightly worn on the outside.
Is your device (or mine!) showing pictures in mirror image?

To answer your question, I understand it is possible to unfasten the leather coverings from the seat bases and swap them and the foam pads from side to side. Assuming yours are Sport seats from what I've read you'd have to cut through the foam pads from underneath to release them from the support bars in the side bolsters. @DJ 190 's your man for all the details on that if I remember right. But I do know there is a small cutout on the inside face of each Sport base to allow it to pass the centre console, this would then be on the outside of the seat so they wouldn't go forward so easily.

Last edited:
Whilst looking at leather seats on various sites I clocked this rather unusual picture of a leather passenger seat with heavy right hand wear on the bolster normally associated with drivers right hand side bolster?

Which leads me to the question: Can driver seat be swapped over to passengers side and lumbar switch and seat belt slot be transferred?

I thought this may not be possible but how else can the ware on the passenger right side bolster be explained?

Hope this makes sense?

Just realised this is the drivers seat not the passenger.

But can the seats be swapped?

Nope, not seeing that.
Driver's seat bolsters are well worn on the outside.
Passenger's seat bolsters are slightly worn on the outside.
Is your device (or mine!) showing pictures in mirror image?

To answer your question, I understand it is possible to unfasten the leather coverings from the seat bases and swap them and the foam pads from side to side. Assuming yours are Sport seats from what I've read you'd have to cut through the foam pads from underneath to release them from the support bars in the side bolsters. @DJ190's your man for all the details on that if I remember right. But I do know there is a small cutout on the inside face of each Sport base to allow it to pass the centre console, this would then be on the outside of the seat so they wouldn't go forward so easily.
Yeah I got a bit confused there, just thought I could swap the seats around easily but as you say a bit more to it than that.

I think you mean is it possible swap the entire two seats around, if so NO!!!! The airbags will be on the wrong side, likewise the seat belt buckle to say nothing of the seat sliding mechanism and lumbar button if present and no doubt other reasons.

Yes it can be done as above but not simply and even then I remember the foam bolsters are handed so it it might end up looking odd.

Andy

Since it seems a fitting question to piggyback here: Does anyone know whether there's a difference between seats for LHD/RHD models?
Reason for asking being that RHD sports seat sets are vastly less expensive than LHD ones over here so I was thinking it might be worth swapping in an "RHD" set since the more used seat wouldn't even be my driver's seat for another plus.. ?

Surely they have the same mountings, the same airbags, the same lumbar, the same heating if fitted ... the only difference is the increased shipping cost. It would make sense if they're that expensive on the continent wouldn't it. Beware though, that leather Sports seats are often ridiculously expensive on eBay over here, too. But I'm sure there are people on here who could pallet up a set of seats if they were selling.

Since it seems a fitting question to piggyback here: Does anyone know whether there's a difference between seats for LHD/RHD models?
Reason for asking being that RHD sports seat sets are vastly less expensive than LHD ones over here so I was thinking it might be worth swapping in an "RHD" set since the more used seat wouldn't even be my driver's seat for another plus.. ?
You ask a good question. Although I have little experience of LHD cars my gut feeling is the seats are identical in LHD and RHD as I see no reason why they should be different, the driver's seat in an A2 has nothing extra. This is backed up by a quick perusal of seat parts on 7zap for the front seats, everything (nearly) is 8Z0....., the 0 to my understanding means suitable for LHD or RHD. The only handed part is the frame to accept a bracket for a child seat support, but I imagine that would be a rare option, who would want a child seat in the front?

Here in the UK it is always the driver's seat that is is well worn so it makes sense for us and cheaper to source a replacement passenger seat from a LHD car in Europe, but as Proghound says the big catch would be the shipping costs.

Andy

Last edited:
Yes, there is a small cutout on the inside face of each Sport base but that is almost not invisible. I have swapped the front seat cushions for the same reasons. The only drawback is if you move the seat all the way to the front, the cushion will make soft contact to the center console.
Is is 2 years since the swap and I have no regrets.

Back