FSI 1.6 - Subtle loss of power at around 2.9k-3k rpm

4markowen

A2OC Donor
First off, no, I haven't scanned it yet. I'm doing the service on it this weekend and was looking for opinions as to what could cause this and will scan it then.

I mean, I pulled this meme together quickly for a laugh ;)

So, yes, I have also checked the earth. That was cleaned and replaced a while back but not that much of a while back.
5hdypz.jpg

Anyway, what I'm finding is that when on a motorway run, which is when I'm mainly using the car as oppose to the OH's pootling around in it. Occasionally at around 2900 - 3000 rpm I get a little loss of power. It just seems to go a bit flat and the once past that part of the dial is fine again.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across this, what to look for in the scan ;) and while I'm poking around in and underneath the car if I should look for anything.

My rough understanding is that this is where the FSI in the FSI acronym takes place and that some flap or vacuum activated hoojamaflip operates? Which is perhaps why googling didn't really return anything...

Maybe the vacuum activated hoojamaflip is a bit slow to move, if you've not got an EML, then the vacuum activated hoojamaflip is working, but the transition to fully open inlet, ie no longer stratified (flaps down), is normally seamless.
Maximum torque is not till 4,200 rpm, so you do get a surge past 3,000. Dodgy actuator, poor vacuum, or stiff linkage, perhaps. If so, may not see any errors, but scan it first, Just in case it's summat else me dear.
Mac

Just a thought, when I got my FSI, a couple of years back, it was a bit like you describe. I replaced the coil packs (Bosch) and plugs (NGK). This sorted it. Check if you have the original coil packs (there is a week year date code on them), I'd recommend replacing them.
Mac.

Good Evening,

Priority is the scan, not worth crystal ball gazing without, but your problem did remind me of this recent eye opening thread with the simplest of cures, worth reading.

Andy

Thanks guys.

I've replaced the coils and plugs a while back and I think that did in fact improve things. It always feel very subjective when noticing these things. Was it there, wasn't it, is that normal? Like when you say or write a word and it loses all meaning.

Was noticeable and only on recent long runs has it been a bit iffy at those revs, but then I'd only notice it as I'm sat at those revs on a long run. I'm leaning towards vacuum/actuator. As it's a bit intermittent even during a journey.

Anyway scanning it / servicing it in a bit. ?

Back