FSI fuel

StefanoP

Hello all,
due to self-confinement it has not been possible to make any progress of my A2s; the FSI managed to throw a tantrum anyway, breaking the ventilation fan's electronic control unit, so no A/C now :( until Audi ships the spare part, and thus I shall be able to have Steve's ECU installed as well. Anyhow yesterday I had to do get the FSI out to visit one of my patients at home (that's when I noticed the A/C fan didn't work) and noticed that the fuel prices have been dramatically slashed down to levels never seen since maybe 25 years. Unfortunately the 98/100 RON was not available so I did have to add half a tank of 95 RON to the 98 gas I had in my tank, and what a joy it was to see how little I had to pay! ? Needless to say there I did not feel any difference in performance of the FSI with the lower-rating gas. So please let me ask a couple of questions, maybe stupid questions but I'm sure that the collective knowledge of the Forum will help me understand.
First of all, how does the high-grade gas improves the engine? I understand that a higher-grade gas will allow the engine to run different spark parameters and be more powerful, but would it be harmful to use a lower-grade gas? Second question: now that I shall be fitting the modified ECU (Steve's), will this modification change the need to use 98/100 RON fuel? In other words, will this modify anything re the necessity of a higher-grade fuel? And, more important, does the use of a lower-grade fuel risk doing any damage to the FSI engine? I dont think so, but...just asking. Thanks a lot!
Stefano

not an expert but im sure with the fuel system set up on the audi it likes the higher grade fuel, basically from my understanding the higher grade fuel burns better then they lower Ron fuel and I think it burns at a higher temp, so there for you get less carbon build it in the engine, and apparently better fuel economy, but your right foot also has a say in that, in my opinion the higher grade is 10p extra a litre if you work that out over a full tank it cost an extra £3/4 a time at the pump unless your a really tight budget each month id just stick with the higher grade. but each to there own as im sure some one will jump in saying premium fuel is a con :rolleyes:

hope this helps a little

Hello and thanks for your reply, the problem is not cost but availability, premium fuel is getting hard to find in Italy....that's why I'm asking. Yesterday, for example, the service station where I usually find the ENI Blu Super 98/100 RON fuel didn't have any.
Stefano

oh right sorry didn't realise you were having difficulty finding it, I suppose another option would run on the 95 and put some additive in once in a while maybe once every 5/6 tanks say, I think some did mention this on the proboost discussion so might be worth a post on there see if any one has any results as of yet although its still early days

Thanks BTW does anyone know what fuse might control the A/C fan? The A/C compressor works, its just the fans not turning...

Hi Stefano

Hope you are still keeping well. The super unleaded as mentioned above burns cleaner than 95 Ron and therefore causes less carbon build up. When the pro Boost ECU is fitted you can run it on 95 Ron without detriment if you wish because the flaps are now permanently open and so are not at risk of becoming gunged up, the EGR is disabled so no dirty exhaust gases are entering the inlet and also the Nox sensor is disabled so it won't pick up any faults caused by the lower octane emissions. Just to confirm though the pro Boost map does not affect emission levels for the MOT.

In terms of the air con not working, so you mean that the climate panel is powering up but when increasing fan speed the air doesn't blow through the vents at all?

Hi Stefano

Hope you are still keeping well. The super unleaded as mentioned above burns cleaner than 95 Ron and therefore causes less carbon build up. When the pro Boost ECU is fitted you can run it on 95 Ron without detriment if you wish because the flaps are now permanently open and so are not at risk of becoming gunged up, the EGR is disabled so no dirty exhaust gases are entering the inlet and also the Nox sensor is disabled so it won't pick up any faults caused by the lower octane emissions. Just to confirm though the pro Boost map does not affect emission levels for the MOT.

In terms of the air con not working, so you mean that the climate panel is powering up but when increasing fan speed the air doesn't blow through the vents at all?

Hello Steve,
here we are going (fairly) well but I hope that this ends soon... I have so many things to do outside! (Like all of us, of course=)
Yes, the fan doesn't work and if I drive on the highway the ram effect pushes inside a feeble trickle of very cold air. So the compressor works, the fans don't...
Cheers
Stefano

Hi Stefano,

As you are presumably a doctor(?), you may not want to follow this advice. Blanking off the EGR of a diesel can increase NOx emissions by up to 40x! These are the figures for CR, so PD may be even higher. I am not sure what the figures are for an FSI but you can be sure that they won't be an improvement!

I find it shocking that this club allows the promotion of EGR blanking. It's illegal and for good reason:

RAB

Hi Stefano,

As you are presumably a doctor(?), you may not want to follow this advice. Blanking off the EGR of a diesel can increase NOx emissions by up to 40x! These are the figures for CR, so PD may be even higher. I am not sure what the figures are for an FSI but you can be sure that they won't be an improvement!

I find it shocking that this club allows the promotion of EGR blanking. It's illegal and for good reason:

RAB

Hi @RAB, interesting post - Do you have a link for a source on the 40x figure? Also, same question for the statement that blanking the EGR is illegal? I'm aware the car should fail the MOT if the emmissions control equipment fitted by the manufacturer is obviously modified, defective or missing - But that does not mean by itself that EGR blanking is illegal.

I'm not arguing, just to clarify - I would like to be educated via the sources.

So in theory my FSI fitted with the ProBoost ECU, and my Tdi with the EGR deleted should not pass their MOT tests?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hello Steve,
here we are going (fairly) well but I hope that this ends soon... I have so many things to do outside! (Like all of us, of course=)
Yes, the fan doesn't work and if I drive on the highway the ram effect pushes inside a feeble trickle of very cold air. So the compressor works, the fans don't...
Cheers
Stefano

It sounds very much like the actual fan that's just above the glovebox may have failed. |Its a bit of a b****r to get to unless you have small hands.

Hi @RAB, interesting post - Do you have a link for a source on the 40x figure? Also, same question for the statement that blanking the EGR is illegal? I'm aware the car should fail the MOT if the emmissions control equipment fitted by the manufacturer is obviously modified, defective or missing - But that does not mean by itself that EGR blanking is illegal.

I'm not arguing, just to clarify - I would like to be educated via the sources.

Source for the 40x value, amongst others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_scandal (EPA Notice of Violation 2015)

If the EGR is blanked off, the vehicle will not meet its' EU exhaust emission standard. As such, legally you have no valid insurance. In the UK, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

RAB

So in theory my FSI fitted with the ProBoost ECU, and my Tdi with the EGR deleted should not pass their MOT tests?

If it does pass the emissions test it will be because not much NOx is generated at idle. Just proof of how inadequate the test is.

RAB

If it does pass the emissions test it will be because not much NOx is generated at idle. Just proof of how inadequate the test is.

RAB
Well my FSI passed with flying colours just before lockdown, the figures being pretty much mid tolerance band.
Furthermore the ProBoost remap is TUV approved, so will easily cater for our MOT requirements.
My Tdi passed lasy year with no issues!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Well my FSI passed with flying colours just before lockdown, the figures being pretty much mid tolerance band.
Furthermore the ProBoost remap is TUV approved, so will easily cater for our MOT requirements.
My Tdi passed lasy year with no issues!

Petrol and diesel MOTs do include a NOx measurement, so no great surprise there!

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
Source for the 40x value, amongst others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_scandal (EPA Notice of Violation 2015)

If the EGR is blanked off, the vehicle will not meet its' EU exhaust emission standard. As such, legally you have no valid insurance. In the UK, it is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

RAB

Hi,

Quoting a wikipedia thread is not good practice as that can be edited by anyone. Also that refers specifically to the cheat software in the VW scandal so although on the face of it, it sounds like a reasonable comparison, it's actually not directly comparable.

I looked up the legislation you mention and - unless I'm missing it - I do not see the wording you use (which sounds like legislative wording so I'm assuming you got it from somewhere?). Here is an official link to a government source: Link. Let me know if I'm being blind!

Again, I'm not intending to be controversial, I am just seeking facts.

Thanks.

Hi,

Quoting a wikipedia thread is not good practice as that can be edited by anyone. Also that refers specifically to the cheat software in the VW scandal so although on the face of it that's relevant, it's not directly comparable.

Incorrect. You have to include a verifiable source for any claim made. The cars involved in Dieselgate had no other means of reducing NOx other than EGR. The EGR was blanked electronically.

I looked up the legislation you mention and - unless I'm missing it - I do not see the wording you use (which sounds like legislative wording so I'm assuming you got it from somewhere?). Here is an official link to a government source: Link.

Again, I'm not intendening to be contreversial, I am just seeking facts.

Thanks.

RAB

I still disagree on the use of Wikipedia to make your point, also that cars affected by dieselgate are directly comparable (for a couple of reasons), however we can agree to disagree there.

Thank you for sharing a government source on the legality piece, which is what I (and I’m sure others) are really interested in. I had suspected modifying EGR valves was illegal but then equally I thought it could be equally a grey area.

Very interesting

Hi Stefano,

RAB

Hello,
yes I am a doctor and I don't find that it is necessary to be alarmed. There are lots of unofficial 'scientific' entities with magniloquent names that will spread alarming figures about just anything, especially if this involves a condemnation of the automobile and the promotion of the use of bicycles everywhere. The article you quote about pollution vs. coronavirus comes from the Guardian, not exactly a friend of the automobile, and it says, obviously halfway through the article, that "...The research has not yet been peer-reviewed and shows only a correlation." From the scientific point of view, therefore, it is obviously worthless. So why alarming people about this possible but not yet examined correlation? Probably to prepare just another offensive against the automobile.
As a doctor I'm fully aware of lots of problems involving pollution, chemicals, and we cure people every day for the effects of one noxious factor or another (most of whom are not automobile-related and not possibly cured by pedalling around on a bike) but I'm not worried about EGR. BTW I don't own diesels, my three A2s and all my other cars have gasoline engines.
Here in Italy as long as you pass our MoT there is no problem with insurance, and a modification that has been certified by the German TUV is absolutely on line with the law, at least for us.
Now, what could be the reason why the fan in my climate control doesn't work? I did hope it was just a fuse.... ?
Cheers
Stefano

Back