Fuel cap release button not working!

rkeil

My fuel release button is occasionally not working, therefore I have to resort to lever behind rear light cluster. It seem not only is the fuel cap release not working but, driver door open interior lamp and dash warning, also the alarm interior scan off button will not work. So all things are localised to the door pillar area, and am now wondering what is causing this random fault?

Very likely this is a fault in the driver's door lock not allowing the car to realise that the door is open, and not enabling those functions. Often it's a bad solder joint on a microswitch but there are other possibilities within the lock mech that can have the same effect. There will be plenty of info on here about it.

Welcome to the club :)

Flicking the doors' switch on and off continuously, keep an eye if the light of the fuel cap release button comes on at some point. This trick can help not having to reach to the manual lever until you fix it properly as per above.

There is a very high chance you can now lock the keys in the car. The door open microswitch not working correctly will let the car security think the car was accidentally unlocked, and if the drivers door is shut will relock the car. So make sure you have at least 2 working keys and get the drivers door lock repaired or replaced as soon as possible. The door open microswitch has either failed, the cam on the lock full of gunge or coating broken up. Solder has never been an issue with this microswitch unlike the internal microswitches.

This picture shows the location of the door open microswitch...

drivers door open microswitch.jpg

The ideal anwer to the problem is to contact @timmus who is the main man for these problems. Not geogaphically ideal, but worth the trip.
Makes an annual trip to Leighton Buzzard for his "down south" surgery. Top man.

The ideal anwer to the problem is to contact @timmus who is the main man for these problems. Not geogaphically ideal, but worth the trip.
Makes an annual trip to Leighton Buzzard for his "down south" surgery. Top man.
Yep Have watched Tom @timmus do his magic on the microswitch & thoroughly enjoyed the master at work & explaning everything at same time. :)

The plastic coating on the cam is mangled on mine. Has anyone had success scraping the coating off and slightly repositioning the microswitch?

The plastic coating on the cam is mangled on mine. Has anyone had success scraping the coating off and slightly repositioning the microswitch?
How about taking a bit of thin plastic, such as a margerine tub, cutting it to the size of the cam, then, using thin double sided tape to attach it to provide a nice new surface for the micro switch?
Mac

The plastic coating on mine broke up but the micro switch was also faulty. I cut the coating back so it was no longer fouling the plunger on a new micro switch, with mine this fixed it, so the absence of the coating thickness in the mechanical tolerances stack-up actuating the thing wasn’t a problem.
The switch I bought from eBay was meant for an A6 C5 and was £22.80 (i.e. rip-off) but fitted and worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back