Fuel Consumption anyone?

Jellybean

A2OC Donor
Not A2 related but still 1.4Tdi. I wonder what an A2 following this guy would have consumed?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Link only visible to members(of the FB group).
Thanks for pointing that out.
For those not on FB here's the text...

Lst year, whilst drunk in a pub, my friend came up with a really stupid idea; to see if its possible to get 1,000 miles to 1 tank of diesel.

Then Covid 19 happened and we never really got round to doing it, as we other priorities in life. Until now...

The route was London-Berlin-Warsaw- Polish Tatry Mountains. All on 1 tank.

The car made it 1,107 miles with 10 miles left of range.
Indicated mpg- 101.2mpg
Official mpg- 112.9mpg

The speeds driven were 52-60mph for the first 1,000 miles, almost all on motorways.

The last 100 miles were incredibly steep on amazing mountain roads, so I drove normally and quite erratically for the occasional stretch. The air con had to be on for the last stretch too, as it was 35c earlier.

Car is a 2005 1.4 TDI Fabia Estate with a Stage 1 remap.

Obviously nobody drives 1000 miles at 55mph in the real world, but its seriously impressive what these VAG PD engines can do.

Might try something similar in the new year. Maybe try for 1,300 miles in perfect conditions.

For now, me, my friend and the Skoda are taking a rest and enjoying our holiday .

Stay safe everyone

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I love the idea of hyper mpg though having moved from a 75 to a 90 tdi I know it's not happening. Wonder what the other 90 owners are achieving, I've yet to hit 60mpg though have measured 70+ in a 75(all mapped).

Thanks for that, I love the idea of hyper mpg though having moved from a 75 to a 90 tdi I know it's not happening. Wonder what the other 90 owners are achieving, I've yet to hit 60mpg though have measured 70+ in a 75(all mapped).
I'm only averaging an indicated 59mpg atm in my 90, but it seems to fluctuate wildly on a weekly basis and can be a lot worse despite similar routes and driving style! Sometimes it can cause a yearning for a 75!

Obviously nobody drives 1000 miles at 55mph in the real world, but its seriously impressive what these VAG PD engines can do.

Pretty sure I made it to Skye and back last year never exceeding an indicated 56 mph (90kph) over 2600 miles ?

Considering that, a figure of 2.5l/100km of Diesel (="official" 112.9 mpg) in a "Standard" Fabia still seems seriously impressive and would be up there with the most economic of A2 3L achievments.

It also, for me, once again brings to light the considerable difference between petrol and diesel in this use case - the overall most economic petrol A2 on Spritmonitor (a german fuel economy site) has managed a best (single tank) mileage of 3.98l/100km (=71 mpg) while a low average for 1.4s would be considered around 54 mpg.
Even considering that Diesel contains slightly more energy, that's an incredibly big difference in my opinion.

Judging by the comparatively "poor" values from TDI90s it also seems interesting to me that an engine with what is essentially the same amount of power output (TDI90 vs. chipped TDI75) could be so much less economic. How does that make sense? o_O

For me, driving 3L, it does not make sense.
It might be done with excessive tailgating or at very low speeds (last gear, low rpm). There is option having good wind always blowing behind also.
I've done 2,4l/100 driving 10km to shop from cold start on warm day, 90km/h (by gps), but there was slight wind involved and 45m of elevation difference.
But Fabia with standard tires, however you map it, needs some help to do 2,5l/100km even at lower speeds probably, let alone average 2,5 on trip.
My father has one, newer 1.4 TDI, on longer trips gets under 3,5, but that's very far away from 2,5. Even 3,0 needs some help.

Don't like to tailgate, but have noticed fuel usage under 2l while trying so.
Indicated and "official" are somewhat vague, if car was filled to brim before, then there should be info how much did it take to fill it to brim at the end.

Driving under 80km/h mostly might result 3L having 2,5 average on long trip. Of course other cars might do better, mine is not in it's full glory atm.

Diesel and gasoline difference does not come from energy density mostly, it comes from working conditions. Diesel does not need to suck air through butterfly valve at low loads or so precise air-fuel mixture as gasoline does.

Back