Fuel gauge issue

The Colonel

Hi all. Another problem to ask about. I changed my in tank fuel pump a while ago and since then, my fuel gauge was reading the opposite of what it was. I read it’s something to do with the resistance being slightly out. I filled my tank up completely to the brim and the needle went straight to “empty”. 137 miles later the needle hasn’t moved at all. Either my car is now unbelievably economical, or there’s a fault.

Is there a fuse I can change that works the fuel level gauge or do I need to accept it’s going to beep at me every time it’s started and never show the outside temperature again.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me the recently fitted tank fuel pump was NOT the correct specification for you car. Fit the correct one and it will work as it should. This fuel gauge anomaly is by no means unheard of, lots of information in this thread and its links..

If a garage fitted the pump take the car back and provide the information in the thread and links so they can fit the correct one. If you fitted the pump you will have to write it off (sell on eBay!) as a faux pas and fit the correct one.

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. Having read the comments from that link, I see what the issue is. I guess I’ll save up and get a genuine Audi pump.

The problem here is that the fuel level sender in the fuel tank is incorrect. UK A2s were first made with fuel sender 8Z0 919 673 B and were changed to 8Z0 919 673 F. The difference is that their electrical resistance is reversed; one increases resistance as fuel is added, one decreases resistance when fuel is added.
The guage in the instrument cluster is calibrated to work with either one variety of fuel level sender or the other. As such, if they're mismatched, the guage doesn't behave.

Assuming the issue is with the FSI listed in your profile, you'll need 8Z0 919 673 F.

Needless to say, this issue is also a consideration when replacing instrument clusters, either as a repair or when upgrading to DIS.

Cheers,

Tom

The problem here is that the fuel level sender in the fuel tank is incorrect. UK A2s were first made with fuel sender 8Z0 919 673 B and were changed to 8Z0 919 673 F. The difference is that their electrical resistance is reversed; one increases resistance as fuel is added, one decreases resistance when fuel is added.
The guage in the instrument cluster is calibrated to work with either one variety of fuel level sender or the other. As such, if they're mismatched, the guage doesn't behave.

Assuming the issue is with the FSI listed in your profile, you'll need 8Z0 919 673 F.

Needless to say, this issue is also a consideration when replacing instrument clusters, either as a repair or when upgrading to DIS.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you for the response. I guess I’ll be sticking with the beeping upon start. Who needs to know what the temperature is outside anyway.

I'm sure @A2Steve would sell you the necessary part for a bargain price. The level sender in all 2003-or-later A2s will be correct for your car, whether from a diesel or petrol.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm sure @A2Steve would sell you the necessary part for a bargain price. The level sender in all 2003-or-later A2s will be correct for your car, whether from a diesel or petrol.

Cheers,

Tom

Would any sender fit any pump. It was a pierburg one from euro car parts.

Would any sender fit any pump. It was a pierburg one from euro car parts.
Unfortunately, the big hole in my A2 knowledge is all the stuff that relates specifically to petrol engines. The TDIs don't have a fuel pump in the fuel tank - they only have the level sender. So, I don't know how the sender and the pump are integrated, sorry. If you do a Google image search for the sender part number, hopefully a few photos will help.

Cheers,

Tom

Cheers,

Tom
I think I have just come across this. The guage in my 2003 TDi (BHC) wasn't working properly, it was part number 8Z0 919 183F. I found a cheap 8Z0 919 183 and hoped it would work...but as you already know I expect...when full it shows empty!
Can this be solved by reversing the wires or do I need to continue my search for a 8Z0 919 183F?

I've been struggling to find the correct part 8Z0 919 183F, however I have found one for a Golf, 1J0 919 183F.
Does anyone know if that would fit, it looks identical but I don't know if it's compatible with my dashpod for certain?

I've been struggling to find the correct part 8Z0 919 183F, however I have found one for a Golf, 1J0 919 183F.
Does anyone know if that would fit, it looks identical but I don't know if it's compatible with my dashpod for certain?
There must be a difference for VW to give them different part numbers.

Andy

Edit. Always Crewe Audi on here.

Last edited:
The first 3 relate to the model of car, I was hoping the rest being the same might mean it's ok. ?‍♂️
Yes I realise this, but our A2's are littered with parts from other models and keep the original 'alien' part number, why make an exception for this fuel sender?

I think it likely you are right first time, viz. outward physical appearance may be the same but what electrical info is passed to the dash cluster and is this compatible with the A2 cluster is the question.

Sorry to play devil's advocate.

Andy

Yes I realise this, but our A2's are littered with parts from other models and keep the original 'alien' part number, why make an exception for this fuel sender?

I think it likely you are right first time, viz. outward physical appearance may be the same but what electrical info is passed to the dash cluster and is this compatible with the A2 cluster is the question.

Sorry to play devil's advocate.

Andy
Not at all Andy, I appreciate the advice.
I suppose I know really that the best thing to do is to be patient and wait for the correct part. Problem is, it's my partners A2 that needs it and she's quite vocal in wanting it sorted. My A2 has a lovely working fuel gauge! ?

Well either cover the gauge up with a photo of yourself;), or just explain that as these cars are old spare parts are not all that easy to come by and the car will be fixed as soon as a spare can be located but in the mean time reset the trip counter and refill every couple of hundred miles to be safe. The other option is swap cars with her until it is resolved. (( keep the car and swap the girlfriend:eek:;)))

Back