fuel leak in pipe at the back of the tandem pump

• Thread starter Deleted member 16918
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16918

I have a possible fuel leak in the pipe at the back of the tandem pump as you look at the engine from the front. It goes into a heat shield sort of pipe and goes up near the bulkhead. Does anyone know the routing as it appears a bit inaccessible? I think that this may be the vacuum line, which would make any liquid a bit worrying perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

There are some good images in this post of the Tandem Pump
It's worth buying the bosch pump when you replace.
Don't bother rebuilding them, I spent money on rebuilding and they don't last. I've also bought second hand ones but in the end you best to buy new.

Regards

Andy

Thanks for the info. My pump is the A model. Does this differ greatly from the others? I notice they run through most of the alphabet. Also, could it be a drip from the air intake which is just above? I noted it was wet inside.

Hello

038 145 209

Not sure what the letters mean.

Autodoc

I've watched a couple of videos on master cylinders and the vacuum vessel.
The pump is drawing air into it and out of the brake booster. Therefore if the end of the hose that connects to the brake booster is dry inside we can rule out oil coming from a leaky master cylinder.
If oil you mention in the pipe is black its highly likely to be engine oil. Possibly from the intake pipe above or the pump. The pump uses the engine oil for its own lubrication.
??

Smell the liquid. Soon be able to tell if it is diesel. If the rubber hoses below are swelling and turning to mush it is definitely diesel and you will need to rectify immediately along with replacing any rubber hose that has been eaten by the diesel.

Hi Rod,

having experienced (probably) this exact failure on my AMF first hand - are you certain that it is diesel coming out? There is a known oil leak location at the rear corner of the plastic rocker cover right next to the tandem pump and liquid coming from there often targets the same components underneath. If the engine/gearbox mount bushings are worn on the right hand side of the engine bay as you look from the front, the right hand end of the engine is slightly lower than the left. Consequently, a leaky gasket seal for the rocker cover will always leak oil from that corner down the back of the engine on that side, coating all of the coolant (heater matrix connections) pipework as well as the return to the coolant expansion tank.

In my case - the first issue was definitely diesel. It stank of diesel and made the coolant pipes there go very tacky so they needed to be replaced. I replaced the LUK original with a Bosch (more reliable but to fit a BHC-engine car you need an extra piece of EGR tubing to make it fit properly). Subsequently an oil leak was evident down the back of the engine - eventually traced to a combination of worn turbo (which was replaced last year fixing most of the leak) and also the leaking rocker cover (this year's problem, to be done in conjunction with replacement injectors).

Any more info will be helpful for those of us who have experienced any of these problems to help diagnose.

cheers, Robin

Hi Rod,

having experienced (probably) this exact failure on my AMF first hand - are you certain that it is diesel coming out? There is a known oil leak location at the rear corner of the plastic rocker cover right next to the tandem pump and liquid coming from there often targets the same components underneath. If the engine/gearbox mount bushings are worn on the right hand side of the engine bay as you look from the front, the right hand end of the engine is slightly lower than the left. Consequently, a leaky gasket seal for the rocker cover will always leak oil from that corner down the back of the engine on that side, coating all of the coolant (heater matrix connections) pipework as well as the return to the coolant expansion tank.

In my case - the first issue was definitely diesel. It stank of diesel and made the coolant pipes there go very tacky so they needed to be replaced. I replaced the LUK original with a Bosch (more reliable but to fit a BHC-engine car you need an extra piece of EGR tubing to make it fit properly). Subsequently an oil leak was evident down the back of the engine - eventually traced to a combination of worn turbo (which was replaced last year fixing most of the leak) and also the leaking rocker cover (this year's problem, to be done in conjunction with replacement injectors).

Any more info will be helpful for those of us who have experienced any of these problems to help diagnose.

cheers, Robin
Hi Rod/Robin,
I’ve had a bad oil leak recently on my AMF engine in the same place & followed the advice here regarding the old original rocker cover & new gasket causing problems, I replaced the rocker cover & gasket £135.00 from TPS which has totally cured the bad leak I was suffering.
Now I’ve just got to finish cleaning the bottom of the car!
Hope that helps.
Keith.

Last edited:
Hi Rod,

cheers, Robin
Thank you for your help. I had thought it was diesel contaminated by oil, but know I think it is just oil and a fairly minor leak. I am changing the glow plugs at a cost of £18 which seems a reasonable punt at the price.

I have fitted two new glow plugs, one of the suppliers having sent me the wrong one. Instant result although slight roughness with the remaining dud.
I had thought that it was a fuel problem because the engine initially coughed before giving up the ghost and requiring much cranking and also because the problem had become gradually worse and I assumed that electrical problems were more instant. However, it turns out that the plugs can loose efficiency over time and die one by one giving the impression of a progressive fuel problem.

Back