Fuel Sender issue TDI

Kaz

So, ive been having issues with my TDI whereby it used to cut out and have trouble restarting when it got to a 1/4 tank - but it just happened when it had half a tank of fuel.

So I parked it up and pulled apart the fuel sender- it was full of junk probably causing fuel starvation.

Has anyone pulled one apart? I notice it has a float system which opens when the fuel is low - what would happen if I removed this completely? what is the purpose of this?

thanks

Kaz

is it some form of anti swirl device to stop fuel starvation when it gets low and cornering ......always keeps fuel around the outlet
Post a pic we all like looking at bits...……..

It's a long time since I had the fuel sender out but I did inspect and think about this last time I did have it out. The fuel return is hot and flows back into the sender bucket. The fuel pick up is from the bottom of this sender bucket. So the sender bucket serves two purposes:1. to keep the pick up submerged when there is a small amount of fuel sloshing round the tank.2. To use the hot return to aid fuel flow in cold weather. The float allows the bucket to be filled with fuel when the level in the surrounding tank is high enough (ie not going round a corner, uphill, downhill) but stops fuel leaking out of the bucket when the surrounding tank level is lower (going round a corner...). Also the hot fuel return is only mixed with the minimum amount of new fuel before the pick up takes the fuel back to the engine.

Trevor

Yep - thank you all - it was a junky sender! All cleaned up and got to the reserve section after many months of keeping it at a 1/4 tank.

Back to the veg oil now :)

Back