Full VCDS functionality?

Joga

A2OC Donor
What would be a good way to assess whether I have a fully working VCDS or only basic functionality ? I guess some operations are only possible with a full VCDS, and which one would be good to try? HWwise I have a Hex+Can genuine ross tech.

Try one of the Controller Output Tests. They're registered only. The Lite version is upto 2005/6 only. The Full House version covers later cars up to current and future. So try it on a newish VAG car or van.
Mac.

Ah, it is actually that simple? I was hoping so, but wanted to get it confirmed. Great, thanks. :)

Depending what version of VCDS your cable was last used with, you may need to update the firmware. The updated firmware is contained in the software download I linked to.

If you haven't already done so, you can easily download the full VCDS manual via that same link.

Usually fake Ross Tech cables will not update and "brick" if its attempted...……..hence the "Do NOT update" which can be found on a lot of ebay sales sites...……….....

I connected my VCDS to the A2 this evening and everything seems to work as expected :). Not that I am yet qualified to judge for sure but still.

I connected my VCDS to the A2 this evening and everything seems to work as expected :). Not that I am yet qualified to judge for sure but still.
Glad everything is working okay for you. Since you're running VCDS 19.6.2 you have full functionality without qualification. Learning to use VCDS is still something of a learning curve however, until you get familiar with it.

One word of caution with the Newer (post 2017?) GENUINE cables - they are often limited to 10 VIN numbers (cars).

I'm not certain what happens when you reach/go over the limit, but I would imagine it would revert to a basic cable. I believe you can pay an upgrade to get more VINs, but I've not tried it myself.

One word of caution with the Newer (post 2017?) GENUINE cables - they are often limited to 10 VIN numbers (cars).

I'm not certain what happens when you reach/go over the limit, but I would imagine it would revert to a basic cable. I believe you can pay an upgrade to get more VINs, but I've not tried it myself.
Joga has an earlier cable with unlimited VINs.

As it happens, the newer cables don't "revert to a basic cable", they simply won't work with more than the registered number of VINs. But quite what relevance this has to the current discussion, I'm not sure.

For info the new VCDS 'vin limit' is not quite as restrictive as you'd expect for the home user

Gendan, an official VCDS seller has a good write-up on the limitations here - https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html

That's really helpful. I had discussed this with Marshalls, the other UK seller, when the VIN limited products first came to market in early 20117. I suspect the advice they gave me then was not as fully informed as it might have been, probably from lack of experience.

This seems a lot of effort to go to to produce a fake cable...

Surely Rosstech should be getting these removed from sale by eBay?

Unless it’s actually a good fake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless it’s actually a good fake...

I have a hexnet that I use that I must say is a little buggy. I also before I purchased it I had this cable, it in fact worked quite well, I do still have it.

Ooh! Tempting.

I have a VCDS cable but the drivers are on a miniCD and my laptops are either slot loading or I’ve replaced the optical drive with a hard drive! First world problems...

You'll not find any of those Chinese clone cables on eBay US, but no doubt eBay UK is rather more effort to clamp down on My view is that we shouldn't be linking to such auctions on this forum.

Ah. Sorry. Yes I was highlighting it as fake and pricey compared to the £5 versions and wondering why they allowed it. I’m certainly not promoting the item in question.

Back