Gear Changing Issues

JPA

Hi guys

When i change gear up to third and fourth its sometimes doesn't engage and it grinds so i look like a bellend who can't change gear properly.

I currently have 120,000 miles on the clock so would it be that the gearbox oil need changing or i think i read somewhere that some cables need tightening? I hope its not the gearbox thats about to fail as i have just forked out £650 sorting out brakes, starter motor and some other niggley bits.

It could be as simple as the clutch needs changing! Given your mileage I would have it checked out first before you go loosing sleep over a gearbox!

I am increasingly experiencing similar symptons and suspect my clutch is nearing the end of its' life having a similar mileage and now doing much more bear-changing on my 30 mile ommute. Just try and make less hurried changes and double de-clutch as spike suggests.

Mine did this this morning too going from 2nd to 3rd - the cold weather always brings the risk of a poorer gearchange. I think my clutch might not be long for this world either, just shy of 125k now...

I have an issue going from 2nd to 3rd, gearbox crunches occasionally, especially when I'm doing it quickly. Only on that change though.

I think it maybe the box itself as I drive an auto a lot and I've crunched the box a few times when I forget it's a manual A2.

Funny that 2nd to 3rd thing. Mine (when cold in the morning) changes normally from 1st to 2nd and then with the change to 3rd the gearstick seems to flop with no feedback or resistance at all from 2nd to 3rd. It never does it again, just the first time after cold start in the morning.

I've had it looked at but garages seem none the wiser as to why that happens. It's had a gearbox oil change and that didn't make any diference.

I have an issue going from 2nd to 3rd, gearbox crunches occasionally, especially when I'm doing it quickly. Only on that change though.

I think it maybe the box itself as I drive an auto a lot and I've crunched the box a few times when I forget it's a manual A2.

Mine does this
Vince at Stealth diagnosed the syncros as I've just had a new clutch

J

Yeah I figured as much, but I know nothing about boxes or how they work. My gear change was terrible until I had the 5th gear mod done and the oil changed, so now it's just this annoying 3rd gear change.

Mine has this fault when you go into 3rd only when cold, the is synchro getting weak, i just put in a bit slower and it's ok.

Sounds like a lot of us have this issue. The question is, is it harmful? It certainly sounds nasty!

it will get worse unless you double de-clutch (doing the job of the synchro) crunching it will destroy the gear/synchro and the gearbox will then require a rebuild/replacement. I have an 1986 coupe with the same fault only on second gear it started at about 200,000 miles it's now on 380,000 i just double de-clutch .

I had this problem after a re-map, cambelt change and a full service. It turned out to be just cable adjustment needed thankfully. It's a very simple process that is covered here on this forum.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Phil

Ours does this too when cold, but only between 2nd and 3rd and it never happens when the mrs is driving apparently. If I'm careful and fully depress the pedal before shifting the stick - its always ok. Something clearly worn or needing adjusted, but my sloppy driving as much to blame!

Can also confirm symptoms like this on mine. Currently on a little over 72k. Doesn't happen all the time, just assumed it was my fault. Also occasionally have a slight worry that its not going into first properly

Hi,

My first post to forum, I already have learned a lot from here. Thanks :) I'm also quite interested of my "new" car and I have tried to look information from different places...

I have same behaviour in my 1.4TDI A2 when changing from 2nd gear to 3rd one. If I do the change very carefully (pressing clutch to the end for sure and not changing too fast) it usually goes ok without any problem. I will try to adjust cables when I have time to do that.

This is not a solution for this, but I think it explains why do we have some problems between gears 2-3, not for example 1-2 or 3-4. From following link chapter "247 - Audi A2 - Engine and Transmission" part says in page 30: "1st/2nd gear are double-synchronised. All theother forward gears are single-synchronised." and also "1st and 2nd gear is selected on the output shaft, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears on the input shaft.". If you are interested about this please look at least pages 30 and 31.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index3_eng.php

So my point is that the mechanism for gear change is changed between gear 2 and 3.

...another here.

Car's on 80k. Only happens on cold days for the first half a dozen shifts, and only when going in to 3rd. No problems thereafter.

Just my 2 penith.....probs best to look at new clutch see how you go.

I had a bit of clutch judder, crap gear change 3-4 sometimes and found out my clutch release bearing was shot.

oli

I did cable adjustement for several, several times, and I was not happy with the results at any time. Actually my 1st and 2nd gear were quite firm to switch on, so I decided to try something else. Without locking gear level, I just tightened one of the cables (the one which is connected to up and down moving arm) a bit, just by hand. Result is that all gears can be switched very easily, no any sound with third gear, not even once. Actually, I think I may adjust it a bit back, sometimes there is a small noise when changing from 1st to 2nd. Anyway the switch box is working a lot better than before I did my first adjustement...

Why I did not get any reasonable result with following instructions carefully? Well, I really do not know but just wanted top share this experience with you, if you are willing to try. With your own responsibility, of course :)

Back