Gear selector/sloppy gear lever

Jayw13702

A2OC Donor
Back on with project second chance today and decided to have a look at the sloppy gear selection.
I have already tried the adjustment on the cables and that didn’t help, today I stripped the selector tower out and was preparing to replace the bearing the sits in the tower.

Have a look at this YouTube clip that I have put together, will be really interested in peoples thoughts as to what I feel is the cause of my issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure you're missing a thin plastic bushing that fits in the part you're complaining of there being too much movement.. it shouldn't be metal on metal. I changed the tower on mine and it did have a bushing.

Pretty sure you're missing a thin plastic bushing that fits in the part you're complaining of there being too much movement.. it shouldn't be metal on metal. I changed the tower on mine and it did have a bushing.

Mine has nothing, so I’m metal on metal, I’m going to make up some plastic bush to see if that helps.
Thanks for the info

See it here.. number 20, a 2-piece thin plastic bush
1630419153248.png

When My bearing failed it was not loose but seized and made the shaft hard to turn not wobble i.e. there was not extra play in the linkage. The shaft with the worn location I have not had problems with. If someone has a new selector assembly they may be able to tell you if it is just plain or if there are some sort of spacers fitted when new as per items 20 above. They just look like top hat washers. Do not know if they are available or only on the assembly. Just because they have part numbers does not always mean they are obtainable now.
I would probably ream out the location and make a PTFE liner drilled out for the linkage pivot. Brass or bronze would be OK but would not use steel for the liner bushing.

Back on with project second chance today and decided to have a look at the sloppy gear selection.
I have already tried the adjustment on the cables and that didn’t help, today I stripped the selector tower out and was preparing to replace the bearing the sits in the tower.

Have a look at this YouTube clip that I have put together, will be really interested in peoples thoughts as to what I feel is the cause of my issues.

You are missing a bit see picture highlighted
Ami

InkedIMG_4607_LI.jpg

Mine has nothing, so I’m metal on metal, I’m going to make up some plastic bush to see if that helps.
Thanks for the info

Its a rotating sealed unit, looking at mine, I think you may need a new or second hand one.
I would sort that first before fitting in your new bearing though
see picture with arrow sent.
Cheers
Ami

Last edited:
Thanks for the input from everyone.

Got it sorted out, the hole in the alloy bracket was oval so I opened it up by a few mm on the pillar drill.
Then I found a nylon sleeve that fitted both the housing and shaft but it was only about half as long as the housing. So I cut it in half and instead a piece at either end of the shaft so it was supported both ends.
Put it all back together without replacing the bearing as mine didn’t need it. Changed the gearbox oil at the same time and why can I say…..What a difference, it’s like day and night!!
The gear change is so much more precise and no more mis-selecting.

I need to have made a full width bush made as the current one only supports in two small areas and needs to be a mm larger internal diameter in order to be a bit smoother still.

Overall I’m happy with it as it’s another job ticked off the list

Back