Gearbox oil change

A2 Louis

Banned
Hi all I’m planning on changing the gearbox oil in Doris and Boris but I was wondering is this a easy simple process or is it a pain in the rear to do and would it be easier paying WOM automotive to do it :)

I’m wanting to change the gearbox oil as Doris has probably not had a gearbox oil change since he come out the factory :) I’ve been hearing recently that most A2’s haven’t had the gearbox oil changed because audi say it’s a “life time fluid” I doubt that lol?

It is easy enough to do with ramps or axle stands. Access is ok. Just make sure you can undo the filler plug BEFORE you undo the drain plug. If the filler is seized and you drain the oil then you’re stuffed.
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks buddy for that information :)

How would I refill it ? Is there a special filling tube I can buy ? And also do you fill it until it starts spilling out everywhere lol :)

Thanks

Most 1-litre bottles of oil come with a little tube that is inverted inside until you take the cap off.

That might be ok if there is enough space but otherwise you will need to rig up a longer tube and funnel or a big syringe would be quicker.

Since the car most likely won’t be level due to the axle stands or ramps then you can fill it up until it runs out and live with it being slightly over-full (an approach I have used in the past on other cars with no problems) or else fill it with the correct volume for your ‘box using the graduations on the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the gearbox oil I need for a 1.4 BBY and a 1.6FSI BAD ? Also how much oil do I need to put in after draining :)

Gearbox oil change thread -

Cheers Spike

the recommendation is audi original. Castrol TAF apparently brings nothing, so the Fuchs and Audi Oils are the only recommendeds I know of. G 060 726 A2.
Make sure you have the correct tool for the plugs; they change from car to car and can be massive Inbus or XZN.
You may also want to replace the filling plug, which has teh part number WHT001937 for 1.4 and FSI, apparently. Do not overtighten, 30Nm is enough.

- Bret

the recommendation is audi original. Castrol TAF apparently brings nothing, so the Fuchs and Audi Oils are the only recommendeds I know of. G 060 726 A2.
Make sure you have the correct tool for the plugs; they change from car to car and can be massive Inbus or XZN.
You may also want to replace the filling plug, which has teh part number WHT001937 for 1.4 and FSI, apparently. Do not overtighten, 30Nm is enough.

- Bret
Thanks Bret :)

Is there any oil filters I need to change when doing the gearbox oil ? or is it drain the old oil and then refill? :D

Can someone tell me what size ratchet fits in the fill and drain bolts for the gearbox ?

I know this is a 1.4 TDI gearbox but I assume they are the same size on all A2 engines :)

So do I need a 17mm hex bit for my 2003 1.4 petrol A2 ?

If so does anyone have a link to a cheap hex set I can buy from Halfords etc including of course a 17mm hex :)

If so does anyone have a link to a cheap hex set I can buy from Halfords etc including of course a 17mm hex :)
Hi Louis,

Do you really need a 17mm hex socket?, same size as the wheel bolts.

Never a good idea to buy cheap tools, false economics and leads to frustration.

Andy

Probably best to check what is fitted to your 'box before buying anything. Halfords will have both versions or you could just Google to find other suppliers.

Back