Gearbox rattle FSI

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Had to pop out yesterday evening for a short run to pick up some essentials so I took the FSI to keep the brakes freed off.

I’ve noticed the issue before but it’s now become much more audible from within the cabin so there’s a definite issue there.

On labouring/acceleration I get a rattling noise from the gearbox. At higher revs it’s not there and when the clutch is depressed it goes away so isn’t engine related.

Looking for advice on what this could be? Thrust bearing worn?

Just something to add to the long list of jobs to be done on this FSI. If it wasn’t such an immaculate example I think I would have given up a long time ago.

Any advice greatly received

Likely to be clutch related if the noise goes away when depressing clutch peddle
Does it go away when you lightly press the peddle or only when fully pressed. I.e. were you would press to to change gear ?
Light press is likely the release bearing full press points to the clutch itself or gearbox input shaft bearings
Either way it’s a gearbox out job

Cheers
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goes away even when slightly pressing the clutch Paul.

I’m happy to pay to put a new clutch in it but if it was gearbox related I think I’d have to start drawing the line.

List of jobs now looks like

Clutch
Timing belt kit
Wiring loom
Injectors
Windscreen

?

Is it from underneath? Mine had a horrible metallic rattle under load at 1500-2000 rpm and I was sure it was the gearbox (heard from my left and down). It disappeared at higher revs and when the clutch was depressed - but it was the bonnet and the specific amount of vibration.

As pinky points out eliminate anything that could be a rattle. Bonnet heat shields etc but what you described seems like a release bearing starting to fail to me
Does the gearbox have the black rubber bung in the top? If so pull it out and if you have an enderscope you should be able to see the release bearing Using an oil can with a piece of clear plastic pipe attached tape it to the enderscope so you can locate the bearing and give it a drink of oil

I have had a many a success doing this normally through the starter motor hole which is another alternative to the black bunk but there is a lot more work in removing the starter
Ideally some gearbox oil is what I would use but engine oil will work

Paul

Lack of use, lack of lubrication or surface corrosion. Take it out again for essential shopping, initially round the block with the bonnet off to see if that was the reason after all it was parked up at a garage so who knows. Then as Paul @depronman has already given instructions on how to lubricate it. Ideal time to hit all door locks, latches, hinges etc with a decent lubricant and silicone spray the window rubbers.

Back