Gearbox requirement

mac911rs4

Heh all, seems the change of gearbox oil hasn't lasted that long, 3rd gear issue back....So, my next quest i suppose, Should i get the gearbox reconditioned, or go for a replacement off Ebay? Cars only got 85k on it, 1.4 petrol 2001. How do i find the code to know what to look for? Any help much appreciated.....Many thanks.....M

Could be the bearing in the shift tower is gone (water ingress usually from a clogged or misplaced bonnet drain) - had a similar problem on my 1.4 petrol. Fitted a new deadstock shift tower and fixed the third gearchange problem (wouldn't go into gear and felt like gearstick was blocked).

It's a sealed unit so have to replace the whole thing - I kept the deadstock one when scrapped the petrol and only had a few thousand miles on it. PM me for a price and pictures and can list it on the parts page if you want it. Half hour job to swap over.

Could be the bearing in the shift tower is gone (water ingress usually from a clogged or misplaced bonnet drain) - had a similar problem on my 1.4 petrol. Fitted a new deadstock shift tower and fixed the third gearchange problem (wouldn't go into gear and felt like gearstick was blocked).

It's a sealed unit so have to replace the whole thing - I kept the deadstock one when scrapped the petrol and only had a few thousand miles on it. PM me for a price and pictures and can list it on the parts page if you want it. Half hour job to swap over.
thanks 413, I'll see what my indie says as the cars in ace condition otherwise and well looked after, no issues getting it in and out of third, just occasionally it slips out of third, only happens 2nd up to 3rd and obviously, 4th down to 3rd, no issue otherwise. Soon as I've more info, I'll get back to you, but thanks for the offer. Cheers, M

Do send me a pm on cost thought please, cheers, M

Back