Gearbox speed sensor?

Davidkinton

I’m just in the process of replacing my clutch on a 1.4 AUA. Having just got the gearbox off, there appears to be what looks like a speed sensor on the output shaft. The problem is I can’t find any wiring for it! I’ve read somewhere that later cars used the ABS sensors to detect wheel speed. Is this gearbox sensor redundant? My car is a 2001 model. Any advice welcome.

0f1ad7e5d098ad5805fa7edb64748669.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No at that age it will use the sensor near the diff in the gearbox

Have a look at the type of abs pump fitted
The 20 used the speedo sensor in the gearbox
The latter 60 uses the abs sensor for speedo

I can’t remember how to tell the pumps apart

Have a look at the type of abs pump fitted
The 20 used the speedo sensor in the gearbox
The latter 60 uses the abs sensor for speedo

I can’t remember how to tell the pumps apart

Ok I’ll have a look to see if I can see any identification on the Abs pump. Thanks.

Your welcome

Did you not remove the cable from the gearbox sensor before removing the gearbox ?
If not is it possible that it has broken the top of the sensor off and this will be attached to the loom

Paul

Your welcome

Did you not remove the cable from the gearbox sensor before removing the gearbox ?
If not is it possible that it has broken the top of the sensor off and this will be attached to the loom

Paul

No I didn’t see it until the box was out, but the sensor is intact but looks like it hasn’t been used as it’s very dirty inside.

So you can see the three electrical pins in the connector that the socket on the loom would connect to ?

Sorry but that link doesn’t seem to work.

Try this then, post number 6.

Andy

Yes that looks right. It’s the pipe exists from the abs pump that’s the difference

Try this then, post number 6.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I’ll have a look at the pump tomorrow and see which it is.

One further question. Do the splines on the input shaft of the gearbox need greasing? It looks to me like the friction plate has a nickel coating which suggests not?

Just to tie this thread up, I have the mk60 abs pump which does away with the speed sensor on the gearbox and uses the abs sensors to detect speed. The sensor on the gearbox is just there to plug a hole.

Back