Glove box handle / removal

Alcamo

Hi all,

My glove box handle has pulled off. Not sure what is broken but I assumed it would simply be a case of finding a replacement. Unfortunately I cannot open the glove box by sliding the remaining internal latch. I suspect something is jammed in the closing mechanism as the glove box was fairly full but can't be sure if this is the case. The internal latch slides across easily but doesn't reach a 'click' point and seems to have another 3-5mm of travel if it could be moved. Any suggestions? If I force it and it breaks I guess I'm looking at a complete lid (black or charcoal) Any ideas or advice? Can I get access to the glove box by removing other trim panels?

There’s no access into the glovebox by removing other panels unfortunately.

I have a black glovebox here in good condition, there are 5 screws holding it in place.

Hi all,

My glove box handle has pulled off. Not sure what is broken but I assumed it would simply be a case of finding a replacement. Unfortunately I cannot open the glove box by sliding the remaining internal latch. I suspect something is jammed in the closing mechanism as the glove box was fairly full but can't be sure if this is the case. The internal latch slides across easily but doesn't reach a 'click' point and seems to have another 3-5mm of travel if it could be moved. Any suggestions? If I force it and it breaks I guess I'm looking at a complete lid (black or charcoal) Any ideas or advice? Can I get access to the glove box by removing other trim panels?
There is a very good chance that the latch mechanism inside of the glove box lid as failed. The handle that you pull to open the glove box connects to a plastic 'poll' , on this poll is a rack of teeth, the end of the poll is used to latch the lid in the closed position. When you pull the lever the poll is pulled out of the latch and allows that side of the glove box lid to move. The other side also as a poll which is also pulled in, this is done by a small gear that sits between the two racks on the polls.
The failure is due to a 2mm dia plastic pin (which this gear rotates on) breaking off, this then means that only one of the polls is moved when the handle is pulled.
I have repaired a couple in the past by fitting a 2mm dia steel screw to replace the plastic pin. However to do this you have to break the front from the back of the glove box lid (where it is welded together). This takes a lot of patience and once done and the repair is made you then need to glue the front to the back.
It can be done, but if you can buy a replacement lid or entire glove box at a reasonable cost then I would recommend this over doing repair

cheers,
Paul

I have had this problem twice in the space of 2 months. First time the handle came away and I couldn't connect it back in but on the replacement glovebox the same thing happened but I managed to click the handle back on but I realised that the handle was only moving the locking tab on the left hand side but not on the right. I decided to force open the glovebox and looking into the glovebox I could see the little hole where the tab pops in. If this is the case with yours, get a thin bladed screwdriver and the plastic thing will pop out. I then got one of those plastic fasteners that are used for the inner wing covers and just using the large outer of the fastener I pushed it into the hole thus reducing the diameter of the original hole.

It's a bit long winded but here's a photo if the bodge, and it works a treat.
DSC_0009.JPG

You have nothing to lose by forcing it open. In fact it is your only choice for either repairing existing or removing for a replacement (you need to get at three internal fixings as part of the removal process).

The critical points are about an inch down from the top of the door at each end where the latching rods pop out to secure. I would insert a large single slot screwdriver or wood chisel at the top left and twist/lever to enlarge the gap between the door and body whilst trying to open by sliding the mechanism you describe or levering open a touch. Repeat at top right.

There is a guide to the removal of the glovebox by Sarge in the 'How To' subforum.

Good luck.

Andy

Last edited:
Forgot to say when new/old glovebox is out is an ideal time for the glovebox light switch to be fixed with a Depronman tang that will almost inevitably be needed.

Andy

Hi All,

Many thanks to all. I managed to open the glove box and sure enough, as Depronman predicted, the internals have broken and the left hand pin no longer moves when the handle is pulled. The good news is that the right hand pin does move and that the handle went back on easily. I have bodged for now by jamming the left hand pin in the retracted position and hoping that the remaining pin will hold.

I am really appreciative of your help - what a fantastic forum. I belong to a Mercedes forum (I have a classic Mercedes R107 roadster) and can only wish for the support that you guys give.

I'll send a PM to A2Steve

I have had this problem twice in the space of 2 months. First time the handle came away and I couldn't connect it back in but on the replacement glovebox the same thing happened but I managed to click the handle back on but I realised that the handle was only moving the locking tab on the left hand side but not on the right. I decided to force open the glovebox and looking into the glovebox I could see the little hole where the tab pops in. If this is the case with yours, get a thin bladed screwdriver and the plastic thing will pop out. I then got one of those plastic fasteners that are used for the inner wing covers and just using the large outer of the fastener I pushed it into the hole thus reducing the diameter of the original hole.

It's a bit long winded but here's a photo if the bodge, and it works

Hi Johny, that looks like Frankie to me, it's failed again this morning, too wet to investigate.

Back