Glow plug light flashing

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
Car driving fine, responsive, temperature correct but glow plug light flashing. Hand book suggests I get thr car serviced but a service is not due for a few weeks. Any suggestions, 2003 75 Tdi? Thanks.

I had an old seat Leon and the glow plug light flashed when I had a bulb blow.

It's worse than that, turn the ignition key and the LH four LEDs in the high level brake light strip glow faintly. Apply the brake pedal and the strip of LEDs light up but not the brake lights. Bulbs appear OK, they are the lowest in the rear cluster? Suggestions?

Still can't find my diagnostic car to PC cable; what are they called please I need to get a new one.

A2 grounded again :-(

The VAG diagnostics software is called VCDS.

Sounds like the brake light switch is faulty but not sure how/why the high-level brake LED's only illuminate dimly...?

Brake light switch contacts burnt. Replace the switch with a good OEM quality one. Also clean the bulbs as they may have some contact corrosion, or replace them with new. Do this first, you can always scan later but pretty sure it is the brake light switch at fault. It is possible to take the switch apart and clean / repair the contacts changing is quicker, just note how to set the switch plunger travel up.

The VAG diagnostics software is called VCDS.

Sounds like the brake light switch is faulty but not sure how/why the high-level brake LED's only illuminate dimly...?

Thanks I’ll get a brake light switch.

I have VCDS Lite on my PC. It’s the cable I have lost and there appears to be at least two standards for Audi.

I opened and cleaned my brake light switch a few months ago having noticed my brake lights were only working with a fairly firm press. They've been fine since(I get a feint high level brake light reflection due to my tailgate cover still being off to facilitate dash cam install). Really should order a new one (though cleaning was straightforward enough that I may do it again as required.

Thanks I’ll get a brake light switch.

I have VCDS Lite on my PC. It’s the cable I have lost and there appears to be at least two standards for Audi.

If you don't find your cable, I'm not too far away if you want to come up for a VCDS scan

Cheers Spike

Just to add what others have stated it will most likely be the brake light switch. A FEBI replacement is not too expensive, just make sure you get the right one. When changing old one rotates out, when putting new one in push break peddle down first then insert new one. It may need pushing a little as the plunger is adjustable. When rotated in place release brake pedal and the plunger will adjust to length.

To get access to it remove lower trim and I also removed the AC blower duct to ease with access.

Just to add what others have stated it will most likely be the brake light switch. A FEBI replacement is not too expensive, just make sure you get the right one. When changing old one rotates out, when putting new one in push break peddle down first then insert new one. It may need pushing a little as the plunger is adjustable. When rotated in place release brake pedal and the plunger will adjust to length.

To get access to it remove lower trim and I also removed the AC blower duct to ease with access.

Thanks for the guide. Was no my back in the floor well yesterday couldn't even see the switch. Will make a start when the weather improves. Working on the drive.

Getting two faults, the first not surprisingly is the brake switch. Not surprisingly because the switch is currently no my desk so that I could identify and order the correct replacement.

The second code I'm not sure how to interpret nor could I say if it is related to a flashing glow plug light. Advice anybody please.

May be coincidence but the brake light switch is powered direct from a 'terminal 30' fuse.
Wonder if loss of continuity by removal of the switch is triggering the fault code.

Cheers Spike

May be coincidence but the brake light switch is powered direct from a 'terminal 30' fuse.
Wonder if loss of continuity by removal of the switch is triggering the fault code.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike, I’ll replace the switch, clear the error codes, go for a drive and scan again. It will be next week now as my replacement switch did not arrive today.
Phil

Back