Glue solar panel to roof in place of alternator

• Thread starter Deleted member 16918
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16918

Hi, I have a plan to remove the alternator, a/c and pas and get my electrical supply from a solar panel glued to the roof. Has anyone else gone down this route?
Also with the pas removed, how do I deal with the steering sensor and abs?
I know the 1.2 has no pas or a/c, so is it just a matter of changing the code?
I have a 1.4 tdi.

It would probably be as well to modify your engine to take a starting handle. Unless of course you're just planning to keep the A2 parked up somewhere.

Interesting. Will you get enough power from a solar panel to replace an alternator for a 1.4tdi?
This may work in summer but on a dull December - usual in the UK - will you end up with a flat battery?

I do not imagine solar panels would give enough juice to keep all the electronics going - especially not power steering, pump for that takes a silly amount of juice.

not to mention AC/Heating etc. etc. Solar panel would only produce 20w or so i'd imagine? just the headlights would use more than the panel could sustain (doing eyeball math in my head).

Agreed. You’d be lucky to put back into the battery what you used to start it even on a reasonable journey. Night time driving would be impossible.
I do not imagine solar panels would give enough juice to keep all the electronics going - especially not power steering, pump for that takes a silly amount of juice.

not to mention AC/Heating etc. etc. Solar panel would only produce 20w or so i'd imagine? just the headlights would use more than the panel could sustain (doing eyeball math in my head).
Agreed. You’d be lucky to put back into the battery what you used to start it even on a reasonable journey. Night time driving would be impossible.

You're not planning to use the car at night then? Incidently, my 1.2 has PAS and A/C!

RAB

You're not planning to use the car at night then? Incidently, my 1.2 has PAS and A/C!

RAB
Is this an aftermarket thing? I used to drive tractors that started with a donkey engine, no electricity at all! Led lights are low energy and I do not plan on pulling any allnighters!
I was concerned about the abs from the mot perspective, but a check has shown that it can be legally removed, and indeed has to be if the abs is rendered inactive.
I may just go for it with a 100 watt flexible panel.

You need a high ampage to charge the battery add in other electrical uses and starting, you may well be looking at having the whole roof covered in panels and a trailer with more panels. Hence the tow bar question.

If you get one of the larger ones and are able to erect it on a mast, and replace the suspension with suitably reinforced sport springs all round, then with suitable rigging and a fair wind you could also use it as a sail for propulsion as long as there aren't other vehicles preventing you from tacking. /sarcasm off.

It's an interesting idea but I think you probably - as suggested above - need to work out the power generation characteristics of the alternator in normal running, and then extrapolate this into the size and efficiency of panel that you would require under perfect conditions rather than just choosing an arbitrary number such as 100W. This will also normally be dictated by power requirement of objects such as the steering pump, aircon, electric heater (BHC) and so on, and even if these are removed, bear in mind that a low battery causes all manner of warning lights to come on as ECUs get confused, so imagine that this would be happening constantly unless you are able to either stabilise the supply or make the system more tolerant. Then allow for UK conditions so increase the specification by a contingency factor.

Looking forward to the project thread. Good luck!

My (old) A6 Allroad has a sunroof with solar panels in which automatically powers the interior fan when the car is parked to bring the interior temperature down. So why not !

April 1st ?

Although with a couple of trailers, each with a big solar panel you may get enough juice ... ;)

Even better put a generator in the trailer to recharge the battery. Do not see why you would ever want to remove the alternator anyway.

Que? There's absolutely no mention of using a solar panel to replace the alternator!

RAB
Not specifically, but getting towards a more useful output with 860 W (although probably not with average UK weather...)

I'm disappointed this project doesn't seem to have moved forward these past two months.

Back