Good morning from Glasgow

Rogan

Just bought a sight unseen 160k 03 TDi instead of getting a 107 or equivalent buzzbox. Signed up here because I keep hitting this place whenever I throw out a search, and it seems genuinely nice.

Car wasn't the basket case I was expecting, not as noisy as the articles said, and it's impressively well designed.

VDO is burning out.
No documentation on timing belt service.
Replaced the dipstick for 15 quid more than I had to pay.
Brake wear indicator is up.
Understand hardlines and handbrake cables are on the way out.

Other than that it's looking quite positive. First car I've ever bought that didn't have evidence of monkeys under the bonnet. Wonderful stuff.

Just got to weld up my landy, prep old car for sale, and then I can get this on stands and give it a proper go over.

This thing is fighting me on phone:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought a sight unseen 160k 03 TDi instead of getting a 107 or equivalent buzzbox. Signed up here because I keep hitting this place whenever I throw out a search, and it seems genuinely nice.

Car wasn't the basket case I was expecting, not as noisy as the articles said, and it's impressively well designed.

VDO is burning out.
No documentation on timing belt service.
Replaced the dipstick for 15 quid more than I had to pay.
Brake wear indicator is up.
Understand hardlines and handbrake cables are on the way out.

Other than that it's looking quite positive. First car I've ever bought that didn't have evidence of monkeys under the bonnet. Wonderful stuff.

Just got to weld up my landy, prep old car for sale, and then I can get this on stands and give it a proper go over.

This thing is fighting me on phone:

Welcome rogan,
I would examine the timing belt carefully at the very least , with a full replacement genuine kit being my preferred choice, having had a gates version fail in October 2018.
Regards
Keith.

Welcome - I hope it's as sunny over your side this morning as it is on the East Coast!

You might want to have a look at the Crewe Audi group buy thread - might be a viable source of service packs if you're looking for genuine parts to fettle up the new arrival.

Welcome to the club and A2 family Rogan. Hope you don't mind, as the link was causing you a battle, I've saved and uploaded photos of your car to enhance the viewing of the thread for you/members.

Cheers,

Darren

Welcome. I'm guessing that was the Edinburgh TDI Sport? I've just ordered a Febi timing belt kit with water pump (for £75) though prices are fluctuating wildly on Amazon at the moment.
Good to hear you've not been afflicted by monkeys, they can cause a lot of trouble. Good luck with the repairs, keep us posted.
Edit, this SKF kit is cheap(£86.33) if you're not desperate to fit...

Last edited:
Morning. Welcome.

I also joined because every search was hitting the advice on here. Shame I joined after buying items on eBay though...

I’m in East Glasgow myself. Maybe see you around. It’s a silver tdi (with special colour change paint - it’s usually a brown colour most of the time - goes silver with soap and water).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome indeed. Brilliant wee cars and very addictive. I'll probably arrange a wee Jock meet at the museum of transport then a drive up to Luss later on this year if you fancy a social with some A2 nuts. We're a friendly wee bunch although not too many North of the border.

Thanks for the warm welcomes peeps!

I would examine the timing belt carefully at the very least , with a full replacement genuine kit being my preferred choice, having had a gates version fail in October 2018.

That's rough, you pay extra for gates and expect it to be up to the job.

Welcome to the club and A2 family Rogan. Hope you don't mind, as the link was causing you a battle, I've saved and uploaded photos of your car to enhance the viewing of the thread for you/members.

Thanks, the imgur app is not great.

Welcome. I'm guessing that was the Edinburgh TDI Sport?

Yeah that's the one, saw it at 310 after missing a reasonable looking motor for 1k, went 640, which is real basket case money imo. Nice lady who seems to have bought a new car, and just wanted shot of it. She didn't even bother washing it for the listing, bumper day for me. Just said let me run it, if it starts goes forwards and backwards then the money's yours. It did. Happy days all round.

Welcome indeed. Brilliant wee cars and very addictive. I'll probably arrange a wee Jock meet at the museum of transport then a drive up to Luss later on this year if you fancy a social with some A2 nuts. We're a friendly wee bunch although not too many North of the border.

That sounds mint.

I'm guessing you've read up most of what you can - have a good look at the front suspension arms as the pressed metal ones on many 03- cars onwards can corrode internally and go without warning - being up in Scotland means there is a chance that it has been readily salted over the years. Plenty of advice here on the replacement job (cast ones that were fitted to earlier cars are still available from various oem-aftermarket suppliers if you decide it is necessary.).

Good to know. I'm on early doors with it really. I did notice the nearside arm had been replaced. I guess that explains it.

Got a wee 10mm crack above the hinge on the front passenger door.

On a more cosmetic note the nearside speaker covers dont have bose tags and the offsife do, and the front speakers sound very low. I was thinking previous door replacement.

Possible if the entire complete door was replaced as you can do so without going to the innards of the door
Easy to Change over especially if the car is none Bose as cheap to buy second hand a slightly different case if you need to find two Bose grills
The crack in the door could mean door replacement is needed depends how bad it gets normally found on drivers door but will depend on car usage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so bothered about the grilles, the bose ones are punctured anyway and its not worth the money to me I don't think. Probably they have done as you said and switched doors at lowest cost and not swapped the speakers and cards back. Suppose it's a case of putting two speakers of correct impedance in to get audio back.

Not sure about door, not really got the skill to get the gaps right in my experience. Might terminate the crack with a small drill bit. If it gets worse I can get the TiG on it. Will have to check the other doors too.

I do know the Bose speakers are lower (2 Ohm) impedance than the standard (4 Ohm) speakers, so if the replacement door contains non Bose speakers the mismatch will not be good and lead to the problems you comment on. Tom(Timmus) is the forum guru on anything involving electrons.

Andy

Welcome to the club Rogan, you've just joined the best car club in Britain.

You'll be on here a lot!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Good health to enjoy the new car.

Cheers

Doug

Back