grand tourismo 5

a2sumo

A2OC Donor
Hi all has anyone got grand tourismo 5 yet for ps3? what is the a2 like? i did play the old ps2 version and hope to get the new one at the weekend maybe we should start a challenge up in a2oc? cheers mike

Bought it yesterday but not had chance to install it yet, takes a whopping 50 minutes, anyhow ...... oldest son has borrowed it and took it home :mad::mad:

Get back tomorrow :):)

A2 in GT5

Hi,
I have GT5 and already bought an A2! I could paint it in
the same colour as my real A2! It's only available as
second hand and may appear in that section by chance.
It is not a GT5 premium car, so not highly detailed and no
cockpitview.:( But looks nice,So far I like the game. I have a Logitech wheel
and feeling is not so bad, but not as sophisticated as Richard
Burns Rally game on PC. All in all, highly addictive, so don't
buy it! ;)
Cheers, Gumbold

no wonder! I've been looking through Arcade and GT mode and couldn't see where the A2 is! All I wanted is to get an A2 and practice on the 'ring and possibly the TopGear test track. Looks like I need to frequently visit the used car dealer section... anyhow, got myself a mk1 MX5 to start with, which also happens to be my planned track car for next year! So more practice before the real thing :)

Photo mode

So, here 2 pictures I took from my car in Madrid.
Actually, the photo mode is so very interesting, it'll give
hours and hours of pleasure alone. Bret might enjoy this too!
Especially the premium cars are nice to photograph. The A2
is a port from the PS2 GT4 I guess. Engine sound is a saddening standard sound.
Problem for me was that I play with a wheel and you can only take pictures with a controller. So I save replays, restart the game with controller and have
fun with the photo mode. Cheers, Gumbold
And never trust a man, who when left alone in a room with a
PS3 and GT5 doesn't try it (on)"! :D
Edit: also see my pics in http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15275

Last edited:
I've got it. Spent nearly all of sat on it lol, the misses was going spare.....

Very good game.

Have just spent loads of credits doing the BMW M5 up to the nuts.

Loving the karting and top gear test track

John

This sounds good. I will have to get myself a copy and spend a few hours of reserch in how the A2 handles online lol

Cheers

David

I got my copy last night. Started with a 2nd hand MX-5 which is the only car I've got so far, along with the Kart. Tried the Nascar drafting challenge and the Top Gear VW Camper challenge - can't get Golds on either of those, frustrating!

Although I have to say feeling slightly like the hype wasn't worth the wait - how different is it really to A-Spec on the PS2 apart from the 1080p visuals and 1000x cars...

If anyone fancies an online match up at any point my PS3 username is Audiboy5

Can I request everyone to look out for A2s in the game? Please buy me one if you can, I'll buy it off you online :)

The photo looks like the PS2 GT4 2001 A2 1.4 SE (petrol). With fog lights and old wipers :) Ok, I've got new wipers and FSD, but it is exactly my car, 2001 petrol! I used to have it in (cobalt) blue and drive the 'ring. It'll not accelerate during the uphill section in the 'ring, lol.

Please, if you see A2s, I will buy it off you. Or swap you with my pride Jag E-Type coupe!

I must confess I am extremely disappointed with this game now after playing it for a week - considering it took them 5 years to develop there's a heck of a lot that feels rushed, incomplete or just plain badly designed in it.

The shimmering shadow effect under your car - so distracting!

The menu/UI system is so counter-intuitive (try finding out what car you need to enter one of the restricted entry races, how difficult is that, especially if you don't already own one of them) and not to mention SLOW to load even with the insane "optional" 8GB Hard Disc install. Pathetic.

The animations on the special features (like the NASCAR) is dreadful.

Most of the cars are not even that well rendered (some serious blockiness/ jaggies on the models) - and most of them don't have the interiors or crash damage. And crash damage is pathetic - it doesn't actually physically impede the car, and it bears more resemblance to someone kicking the panels than actually crashing.

The rally tracks are seriously dull -it's like driving on a motorway they're so wide.

Head tracking with the PS Eye doesn't work properly.

Some of the handling characteristics are dreadful. The Lotus Elise for example, it's like you're driving on ice the whole time.

Trying to go online and set up a race is a serious ball-ache (compare to how easy it is in something like Burnout Paradise).

I could go on. This is the first PS3 game I'm considering selling back to the shop as a pre-own. Seriously disappointed. What on earth did they spend the last 5years doing?

The shadow and low detail is because they already said those are not 'premium' cars, so they are more like lifted straight from PS2 GT4. Their website has a complete list of cars and says which ones are premium with full rendering. But yes, annoying my MX5 isn't as well rendered because I've been using it to beat everything!

The damage simulation, I think the initial game update turned it on, iirc from level 20 on, it will affect the running of your car.

The menu, is just poor and smacks of design from a bunch of people so locked in their own project they can nolonger look at their product how the end users would look at it. Very typical problem in software design, if you ask me.

The slowness is also indefensable. Some of it to do with the menu system. They don't load things in the sequence that users would most likely advance to. It seems I need to get an SSD in the PS3 to have less frustration on waiting. But then, this is a trade mark problem, every GT has had poor loading times...

And, I STILL not seen an A2 in the used car! Polo GTI, Fiat Panda, even, not an A2!

Nurnbergring real and ingame splitscreen

I came across this:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/gran-turismo-5-vs-real-nurburgring-bmw-m3-2010-12-03
The same chap driving the same BMW in GT5 and in reality
It is amazingly in sync for most of the time.
@dan_b, I agree that GT5 is overhyped and that there are real flaws, but there is also enough to like about it. IMHO, Forza is way better, especially the engine soundfiles. But I sold my Xbox. :mad: Still got my A2...:) (and there was much rejoicing...:D)
Cheers, Gumbold

Ha! I've rewarded with playing GT5 5 nights in a roll! Bought a used A2, finally! It is in metallic grey, i think Dolphin Grey. I need Cobalt Blue but i don't have that colour yet so cannot respray... used to be available in GT4.

I think it is a straight lift from GT4. The engine doesn't sound too much like my 1.4. Certainly doesn't have my 2nd gear whine :). In neutral, the game's 1.4 revs far faster than mine. But in gear, it is close, save a couple of hundred revs to red line.

A2 colour

Hi Humps,
Glad you finally got yours too. Mine came up the first time I played the
game, it was dolphin grey as well. We all share one A2!:D
With the coupon of the Demio I resprayed it with a green
close to my A2. The engine sound is used by other (V6 :eek: )
cars as well. The 2 cylinder 2cv engine sound is horrible!
They should have spend more time on this game!;)
Cheers, Gumbold

I'm so disappointed with this game, at the moment I'm considering selling it back to Game on one of their pre-owned deals and deleting it off my HD.

The inconsistency displayed within it is shocking and just makes things jar even harder in my opinion. I know they bang on about how great the "premium cars" are in look, feel, sound and handling, but why dilute that with 800 other vehicles that don't compare and then make it so hard and long-winded to get to those "premium" cars in the first place!

In the time they took to develop this, all 3 iterations of Forza were developed and released, that should tell you something. I also think Burnout Paradise owns this game in terms of interface, ease of use (especially online) and I have to say for consistency of graphics quality too. Ok it's a different type of "car" game, but nonetheless, it has a consistent, whole world feel to it. In some ways it feels like they invested more time in the gimmicky "photo mode" and the strap-on stuff like 3D and the head-tracking than they did in Q&A.

Bah Humbug to you Polyphony!

got GT5 for christmas spent all day on it still cant find A2 gutted so far but will keep at it ' user name Greatangel' once I get hang of it Im up for a race.

Good luck to you working out the lobby system to try and meet friends online for a race its a complete disaster. Polyphony should be ashamed.

Back