GRJ gearbox replacement

Tones

Have just removed GRJ gearbox & refitted. I could not find any threads so me & my mate, a retired RAC mechanic went ahead with it.
1st obstacle was you have to remove the drivers side drive shaft coupling.....so wheel ball joint has to be undone to get driveshaft back enough to undo the 6 driveshaft bolts & undoing the coupling bolt.
The gearbox could not be twisted to remove it without this procedure.( same to refit...leave off until gearbox bolted back up.)
Also bought a silver line cable pulley180 kg lifting weight..£9 from amazon to lift & drop gearbox. We used my van heavy duty roof bar across the bonnet void to hook the pulley on. Lifted it & dropped it easily.
Remembering that no more than a litre of gearbox oil in as with coupling removed it would leak out.......luckily I had only put a litre in & not the whole 1.9 litres of gearbox oil in. Took 2 of us 6 hrs to do.
I had put 2 new driveshaft seals in & put a new bearing in the tower selector. Also put new Luc clutch release bearing in.
It was a learning curve but now back on the road.
And a big thanks to Drew club member & now a new buddy for letting us have the gearbox. A big Thanks.
Should I have gone for the 6 speed box.....after doing this maybe yes after all you members advising too so thanks for the advice.

Hi does anyone know of 1.4 tdi gearbox refurbished who does exchange gearbox with some sort of warrant. 3 months ? 2nd gear unable to be used when engine running.ps thanks for threads from 2010 and 2016 about sticking heater fan sticking and access to remove it !!

Hi does anyone know of 1.4 tdi gearbox refurbished who does exchange gearbox with some sort of warrant. 3 months ? 2nd gear unable to be used when engine running.ps thanks for threads from 2010 and 2016 about sticking heater fan sticking and access to remove it !!
If your running a TDI75 I would consider fitting a later VAG 02R box and ideally a remap, will transform the car for not a lot of money!

Thanks Howey for your suggestion of VAG02R box It will be interesting to see what refurbishes have in stock . Cheers

Thanks also to Rotifer.I will see if alternative garage might do the gearbox service and other areas you suggest

Back