Had an A2 years ago and now I want another

Hi all, I owned an 02 plate TDI back in the day but sadly had to sell due to a financial crisis. Always looked back on it as one of my favourite ever cars. Now I’m looking at buying one again, mainly because I need a car and also for nostalgia. There are a couple of nice looking examples on eBay and they are 1.6 FSI models. I thought it would be good to have the extra horse power for camping trips with the kids when fully loaded (and maybe with a roof box), but after reading through the forum this evening it looks like the FSI has issues. I want to pick up a nice one and I don’t want to start blowing cash on repairs for a couple of years if possible, so should I be going for a TDI instead? I think the 1.4 petrol might be a bit under powered for my needs but I’m open minded on it. I’m only covering about 5K miles a year. Would appreciate some opinions.

thanks

Hello,
Welcome (back)! if you want power and reliability, the consensus is a TDI, ideally with a reputable remap. The 1.6 has numerous known issues, but club members have made progress with them recently using modified ECUs and replacing key engine ancillaries.

I have 2 TDI A2s now and one does very little mileage, so I’m confident that you don’t need to worry about low usage with them. The 75bhp TDI model has a more robust turbo and flywheel, however the 90bhp TDI does pull stronger from lower revs and has slightly longer gears.
Obviously any car you buy may need some repairs but if you get a nice TDI you have less chance of paying for repairs than a 1.6, and TDIs produce less CO2. That’s also good for cheap tax / RFL.
I hope that helps :)

I've had a two 1.4 SE and a 1.6 FSI Sport and personally I prefer the 1.4 even though you lack a bit of poke, they are robust units compared to the 1.6, the FSI as mentioned has a few issues usually down to the direct injection. Around town you won't notice much difference it's on the motorway were the 1.6 will show it's strength. The ride on the Sport models with 18' wheels is quite harsh, combined with the sport suspension it can become unbearable on a poor road. My current A2 is on A1 Sport alloys but they are 16s so you get the 'sport' look. My mine reason for swapping was the price of 145mm centre caps for the original wheels came in at £124 for a genuine set and I found a set of A1 wheels and tyres in mint condition for £120, it was a no brainer.

I've driven a few TDI from other owners and after driving petrols I found them very mechanical and old school, proper rattle of a unit. The main advantage of the diesel is of course the great mpg, but I regularly get 42-45mpg on the 1.4 so it's not going to drain your wallet whatever engine you go for.

I’ll have a very nice TDI coming up for sale in the next couple of weeks ?
Interested, but want to have one by 1st August ready for my holiday the following week. It will be a good run for it from Derby to the isle of Wight and back, loaded up with two kids and the Mrs.

@WindyMiller
You need to consider where you are going to do those 5,000 miles. Unless it is entirely out in the sticks, the introduction of low emissions zones, where anything less than Euro 4 is penalised, makes the case for petrol engines an increasingly strong one. This trend is only going to gather pace.
Mac.

@WindyMiller
You need to consider where you are going to do those 5,000 miles. Unless it is entirely out in the sticks, the introduction of low emissions zones, where anything less than Euro 4 is penalised, makes the case for petrol engines an increasingly strong one. This trend is only going to gather pace.
Mac.
Yes that’s a good point. Mostly short trips. School runs, supermarket etc, and at the weekend some longer trips to the Peak District for some walking, maybe 30-40 miles. I don’t even commute because I work from home. Do the TDI’s have DPF’s? I guess that would be bad for short trips. Maybe I need the petrol, but I just think the 1.4 petrol might be a bit under powered for over-taking lorries on the Peak District roads. Derby doesn’t yet have a low emission zone but it is on the cards.

No the TDI’s don’t have a DPF. The TDI 75 and the 90 manage fine with short journeys, but the 90 with its variable cane turbo would benefit from a blast now and then to keep it clear.

Picked her up today from @A2Steve in Aberdare and drove back to Derby with a big smile on my face. Many thanks to @A2Steve for getting the car ready for me in the tight timeframe. It’s good to be back in the A2 again. I had forgotten how agricultural that Diesel engine is but it’s part of the character of the car. It’s like a tractor in an Armani suit. Steve has fitted this car with the Platinum leather interior and I think it works really well. Here are some pictures.

149A1940-CFBB-460E-9E24-D5F6E0F85DCF.jpeg
45DC87B1-4527-4B8A-93E5-C0664B887B07.jpeg

Congratulations on your return to A2 ownership :) That's a lovely-looking late registration example, gorgeous inside and out ?

Glad you enjoyed the drive home Paul, lovely to meet you, I could have happily kept this one but I’m sticking with my turbo FSI.

Yes full interior colour change on this including retrofitting a false floor (which the special editions didn’t have) and sport spec 17’s. Having not done one for a couple of years I’d forgot just how much work it is. Happy with the end result though.

1435BFA2-4B54-4A47-84C6-26F363036F9E.jpeg

45EA933B-C58F-4D2A-862F-CA370B51A755.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed the drive home Paul, lovely to meet you, I could have happily kept this one but I’m sticking with my turbo FSI.

Yes full interior colour change on this including retrofitting a false floor (which the special editions didn’t have) and sport spec 17’s. Having not done one for a couple of years I’d forgot just how much work it is. Happy with the end result though.

View attachment 67562
View attachment 67563
Wow, fascinating to see the pictures. Great job Steve ?

Looks similar to mine a couple of weeks ago!

PSX_20200726_224622.jpg

A late welcome, that is one very nice looking A2 indeed, you made the right choice buying from A2SteveFeeling quite envious of those colours!

Back