Handbrake problem after swapping brake shoes

ICowie

A2OC Donor
Scotland
Hi Folks,

I recently swapped the rear shoes, cylinders and rear brake pipes (Eurocarpart Pagid kit) on my Cobalt blue Tdi after having to replace a leaking wheel cylinder. Everything went well, bleed the system got a good firm brake pedal but when I took it for a test drive when I braked there was a light knocking noise coming from the N/S rear wheel. Thinking something must've popped off or something I took the drum off for a quick look but everything seemed fine but on closer inspection I noticed that the ends of the wheel studs are fowling the end of the handbrake cable. So thinking it was just needing a quick adjust inside I tightened it up a bit but by the time I get the knocking noise to stop the brakes are binding on.

Has anyone else experienced this problem before and know of a cure for this? I'm thinking I might need new handbrake cables but it was fine before I stripped the old brakes.

Thanks,
Iain

If the spring ends of the hand brake cable is not fully located into the slot in the actuating arm on the brake shoe then it will catch the wheel bolts. Make sure the arm is on the correct side of the shoe and relocate the hand brake cable spring into the slot. Check all other springs etc are located on the correct side . Did the replacement slave cylinder have a cut away section where the ends of the shoes fit if so the cut goes to the inside as this stops the shoe from jumping off the cylinder. Take it the small Teflon wear pads were OK?

I'll have another look tomorrow after work and see if I can see anything out of sorts, the brakings system's fine otherwise, it's purely the fact that the wheel studs are hitting the end of the actuating arm/handbrake cable. I hindsight I should've taken a photo before I stripped them but from memory I think the actuating arm's sitting on the outside of the shoe but they came pre assembled so I presume that's right.

To make things worse it's due for it's mot on Tuesday and it's the wife's car :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Here is a picture, not sure what car but it is VAG, showing the handbrake arm for nearside rear brake assembly. Note the hub has been removed in this picture

Also check where the cable enters the back plate that it is located properly and along the trailing arm.

Thanks again, I'm not certain but I think the actuator arm on the N/S is on the outside of the rear shoe but in this photo it sits on the inside. Do you know if they can be swapped round?

If it is on the wrong side then it is completely wrong. The pivot is a form of rivet so not easy to swap around, better if you can to take it back and swap for a correct one. But not sure it is possible to fit the arm on the wrong side. Damn clever these Chinese...

Picture is how it should be..

I'm just having my tea then I'll be going out to have another go at it, I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

You could have fitted them to the wrong side so both arms will be on the outside, or they could have supplied 2 offside shoes by mistake.

Lol how did you know? I'm just away out now so wish me luck but by the sounds of things they've supplied two the same as the O/S seems perfect

Back