Has any one done a 1.4 Automatic Conversion??

k7aus

Has anyone done a manual to auto conversion for the 1.4 petrol A2.

VW produced the 6N2 Polo around the same time as Audi released the A2. You could order the Polo as a 1.4 75hp Automatic...... Has anyone done a Auto conversion? 6 Speed has been done but what about those who are getting on a bit and want to get from A to B without much fuss or effort?

You can pick up a 2000-2001 polo for about £1500 pull out the box and pedal box and surely your away?

Or nip across to Holland and pick up a 1.2tdi if you dont want the hassle of the conversion

Last edited:
Or nip across to Holland and pick up a 1.2tdi if you want to sit on the wrong side of the car
There are almost as many advantages as disadvantages in driving on the "wrong" side. One morning, on my way to work, I stopped in Heathfield to buy a newspaper, stepping out onto the pavement from a 1.2Tdi. There was someone else in a RHD car, doing the same and waiting for the traffic to allow him to leave his car. I bought my paper and drove off while the other person was only just leaving his car!

RAB

There are almost as many advantages as disadvantages in driving on the "wrong" side. One morning, on my way to work, I stopped in Heathfield to buy a newspaper, stepping out onto the pavement from a 1.2Tdi. There was someone else in a RHD car, doing the same and waiting for the traffic to allow him to leave his car. I bought my paper and drove off while the other person was only just leaving his car!

RAB
Ive edited post to not sound negative to LHD cars. Sorry if it came across that way. I have 3 LHD cars as per my signature and thoroughly enjoy them.

Ive edited post to not sound negative to LHD cars. Sorry if it came across that way. I have 3 LHD cars as per my signature and thoroughly enjoy them.
I didn't take it as negative.

RAB

Has anyone done a manual to auto conversion for the 1.4 petrol A2.

VW produced the 6N2 Polo around the same time as Audi released the A2. You could order the Polo as a 1.4 75hp Automatic...... Has anyone done a Auto conversion? 6 Speed has been done but what about those who are getting on a bit and want to get from A to B without much fuss or effort?

You can pick up a 2000-2001 polo for about £1500 pull out the box and pedal box and surely your away?

Or nip across to Holland and pick up a 1.2tdi if you dont want the hassle of the conversion

The VW Polo MK3 came out in 1994. The Audi A2 is more closely related to the VW Polo MK4 which came out in 2001.

The outside diameter of the tyres on the Audi A2 are about 6% bigger than the VW Polo MK3 tyres, eg. 175/60R15 vs 175/65R13.

The outside diameter of the tyres on the Audi A2 are about the same as the VW Polo MK4 tyres, eg. 175/60R15 vs 165/70R14.

VW Polo MK4 4-speed automatic gearboxes ESK GCU GJF GJG

2014409193Bguide for pinion1ESK,GCU
202J409057sealing plugM18X1,51GJF,GJG
3084409197speedometer pinion1ESK,GCU

Notice that the ESK and GCU appear to have a different type of speedometer drive to GJF and GJG.

Even if you could get all the main parts to fit and work, would you be able to make a neat finish such as the hole in the floorpan where the clutch pedal used to be, and the trim around the automatic gearbox shift lever.

VW Polo MK4 1.4 petrol 75HP 4-speed automatic review on youtube

Notice that the VW Polo MK4 with automatic gearbox, has a display on the dash to show what gear you're in.

Last edited:
Back