Hazard lights waking up the car

Mandel

Dear Users!

I post the problem in the diagnostics thread, maybe somebody can come up with an idea and hopefully with a solution.
The problem (may be linked): The car will unlock itself indefinitely until the battery runs dry.

First I noticed this problem at the start of the winter, when the weather was a little bit breezy. When I got to the car was unlocked, even though I thought I locked it. Maybe I was just not paying attention. Then one morning it wouldn't start, battery dead. It was in the middle of the winter, thought battery was old, bought new one. All good, for like two weeks, then again, the new battery died. I changed it again and all went well. Tend to mention that the weather was warmer. And then again when it got cold, in the evening when I left a car I noticed that is has been unlocking itself, even though I locked. And as I stayed there it was doing over and over and over and over. Just unlocking all doors.

I newly discovered that the car won't go into sleep mode. I sat in it, locked the doors and waited. Everything switched off, then suddenly the inside hazard light blinked once and the dashboard woke up, like was showing the time and km. After a bit it went to sleep again and the story has been started again. Hazard light, dashboard. From the fuse box I took out the 42 fuse (Convenience system central unit control, Anti-theft alarm ultrasonic sensor - yet the door locking with the remote still works, just the inside light stopped responding to the doors opening).

Addition: I have a 1.4 gasoline, left handed car from 2001. Originally it hadn't got remote control lock, it has been put it in after. And for one and a half years was working perfectly. Sadly I don't have the place and resources to be always beside the car. Also, sorry for mistakes, English isn't my first language.

TL.DR.
: My car (just) unlocks all the doors, as I noticed just in cold weather. Newly discovered the hazard light blinks once (inside) and the dashboard wakes.

I hope this isn't be considered as spam. Before posting I did search for this problem, but I didn't find anything. Thank you in advance for the help and all the helpful comments.

Good Evening,

I am no expert at all but it sounds to me you need a replacement CCCU, probably explains the battery drain too.

Andy

Good Evening,

I am no expert at all but it sounds to me you need a replacement CCCU, probably explains the battery drain too.

Andy
That was an answer I was afraid of. Because it's like impossible to find one with the H ending. And even the N ending is quite rare.

But thank you!

This chart show the progression of the CCCU part numbers...

1649104312814.png

I remember there was a member of the German A2 club called Lau who used to offer a service to repair CCCUs. I do not know if Lau is still around but might be worth an enquiry.

Andy

Dear audifan, thank you. I found the chart too, but sadly the N ending is hard to find too.

Dear Andy, thank you for the lead. I will look it up.

@Mandel

Do not think that Lau is still providing a repair service. Although there is a chance that Tom @timmus may be able to repair the CCCU for you.

As such I suggest that you contact Tom by PM to see if he can help you by post unless there is a Romanian trip already on the cards.

@Mandel

Just had a look and Lau appears so disgruntled he has not been paid for repairs completed he has given up repairs only a few weeks ago, sorry.

Andy

@Mandel

Just had a look and Lau appears so disgruntled he has not been paid for repairs completed he has given up repairs only a few weeks ago, sorry.

Andy

I'm sorry to hear that. Sad that there are people who are trying to abuse others kindness. If only I would have the courage to post it sooner on the forum.
Either way, thank you for the information.

Hello all!

First of all I want to thank you for the advises :) In the end I managed to find and buy a new Konfort Module. I got a different model, with the different letter at the end (mine was H, i bought an M), but thanks according to the chart it should work. And I can say it works. Everything seems to be fine, until now. I will be back for more feedback, if maybe somebody else gets in the same situation.

Have a great day!

Morning,

A great result achieved here and very glad you're back to problematic free A2-ing. It's interesting to read that your A2 wasn't fitted with remote central locking from the production line and you've since had it retrofitted.

In recent months there was another LHD A2 owner reported they had a similar specification to you and wished to have remote central locking retrofitted, cannot recall who it was now though.

Are you able to provide a quick write up of the process to assist future owners who would like to retrofit the remote central locking functionality? Is it really as simple as fitting a correctly capable CCCU and running a wire to the rear of there vehicle to act at the antennae or is it a little more involved?

Kind regards,

Tom

@Mandel

Andy
Not a native German speaker but lived there a few years back. How I read the thread is that he now only accepts being paid beforehand, and that he would stop doing it if the current way with non-payments continued. It seems he is quite frustrated with previous experiences, but I hope that if you contact him and say you will pay before, he will still be willing to do it.

Morning,

A great result achieved here and very glad you're back to problematic free A2-ing. It's interesting to read that your A2 wasn't fitted with remote central locking from the production line and you've since had it retrofitted.

In recent months there was another LHD A2 owner reported they had a similar specification to you and wished to have remote central locking retrofitted, cannot recall who it was now though.

Are you able to provide a quick write up of the process to assist future owners who would like to retrofit the remote central locking functionality? Is it really as simple as fitting a correctly capable CCCU and running a wire to the rear of there vehicle to act at the antennae or is it a little more involved?

Kind regards,

Tom

Hello Tom!

Sorry for the late answer, I got a little bit caught up.

To clarify, I had a car with the central locking system just not remote controlled. The car locked himself by locking the drivers door. Even had that feature when you hold the key in lock mode and raised up the front windows (just those are electric) and holding in the unlocking position would drop them down. I just fitted a remote control to it.
To be honest, not I was who did the job. I bought a general purpose remote control with that opening keys (the originals was just normal keys) and I took the car to a repair station. They did it in one day.

Additional information: I asked about the function of the windows and the guy said, that's not a good idea to put it on the remote. And the keys have a third button for opening the boot, I thought that also would be wired in (because as we know the boot is opened electrically) but the guy said something about being not possible. I believed him both times.
But know, reading this I just realized he was just lazy and didn't want to get a wire from the front to the back.

Long story short and to (hopefully) answer your question: I had central locking, at a shop I just asked them to install the remote control. I don't know how hard or complex was the installation.

I can't do sadly these kind of stuff at home, I don't really have the tools, time and space :(

If you have any more question, don't hesitate. Hope I can help.
Mandel.

Back