Head unit recommendations

Jaijai82

Hello fellow A2 owners!

Please don’t shoot me on this one! I’m looking for some advice/recommendations for an AFTERMARKET double din head unit for bug my a2.

I’m having a dash conversion carried out and will need a new head unit as part of the improvement. The reasons for going aftermarket is I need something that does navigation, phone and I can play dvds on. I surf quite a bit and having something I can watch a film on while the surf is not up will be a god send.

Any advice recommended units sent my way would be much appreciated.

All the best

Rye

The reasons for going aftermarket is I need something that does navigation, phone and I can play dvds on. I surf quite a bit and having something I can watch a film on while the surf is not up will be a god send.

The later version (193PU) of the Audi RNS-E is a good place to start, since it has the features you're looking for.

You can upgrade the firmware here:

You'd need to speak to @timmus regarding the installation process.

Thanks for that sir! I didn’t know I could stay with an Audi unit and get all the features I was after. Anybody have any examples? Cheers rye

Just type rnse into the search box then have a read through the many threads that lists. Best to do your own research and come to your own conclusions rather than someone else's opinion or experience.

Do not go aftermarket as it does not suit the car.

The reasons for going aftermarket is I need something … I can play dvds on.
It needs to be able to play DVD videos. I’ve installed RNS-E countless times, but don’t wish to have it in my own A2, so am not always totally up-to-date with its exact features.
Setting aside any use of the external video input, can you just pop a DVD video in the RNS-E internal disc drive and watch it on screen?
Those who have RNS-E, please let us know.

Cheers,

Tom

It needs to be able to play DVD videos. I’ve installed RNS-E countless times, but don’t wish to have it in my own A2, so am not always totally up-to-date with its exact features.
Setting aside any use of the external video input, can you just pop a DVD video in the RNS-E internal disc drive and watch it on screen?
Those who have RNS-E, please let us know.

Cheers,

Tom
@2work is probably a good person to answer that one

Evening Rye,

I for one am a massive fan of the RNS-E PU (Mk2) but it certainly won’t assist your viewing needs in it’s native form and can cost well into treble figures to add a quality external multimedia module for the playing of DVDs whilst you await the surf.

Right now there is no solution to simply pop a DVD into its disc drive for viewing. It may come one day but certainly not an option right now but the Video In Motion (VIM) lock has already been resolved to assist should it ever become a useable feature.

Of note, there is a concern of safety for the driver and other road users whilst having any form of media in any vehicle that requires concentration of the eye as it has clear potential to distract you from what your supposed to be doing whilst the vehicle is in motion, it really isn’t worth thinking about the possibly outcomes of a driver becoming unaware of the ever changing road conditions and hazards around them. This reason alone will probably stop experts from opening this feature as there could well be legal complications involved.

All that said, for the very best integrated look, feel and function then the RNS-E PU with the custom firmware Steve @steve_c links above will always be the answer for most but it’ll never be an Android unit with touchscreen or Apple CarPlay etcetera. Whilst I really like the RNS-E PU with its LED screen, it’ll never beat the screen resolution of a smart tablet or even the latest large screen smart phones.

Would it not be a possibility that you could leave the film viewing to a smart device once you’re static waiting for the surf. It may have a better/bigger screen and would certainly be less demanding on your vehicle battery to keep your smart device’s battery topped up from the 12v outlet under the handbrake lever than having the whole infotainment system running for up to 2 hours and possibly running the vehicle during viewing thus wasting fuel. Just my take on it though.

Should you consider the factory approach then occasionally I link available reasonably priced RNS-PUs on this thread, so keep watching it as I only link to units that are well under £300, mostly in the region of £200.

The installation of these antiquated but awesome units really is very simple, you’ll find a plethora of information available on how to install them spread across the internet. Adding any peripherals tk the RNS-E like the A3 Bluetooth Module is also a very simple process and provides the very best handsfree experience. Again plenty of information freely available for the installation. Additionally there is the A3 Audi Music Interface (AMI) which you could connect to the A2s audio system to use your smart devices screen whilst having enhanced sound from the 8/9 speaker system but this of course requires the infotainment system to be running that could damage the vehicle battery over time should you only do short journeys.

If you’re unafraid of reading and understanding the pinouts of head units verses wiring diagrams then you’ll be fine having a go yourself. There are a few harness adapters available for this very installation online, one of which is VAG Retrofits who will offer a 10% discount just for mentioning that you’re a member of this fine Club. Of course other adapters are available across the usual auction platforms as well as Amazon, some of course better than others, you get what you pay for.

I believe Tom @timmus produces his own harness adapters which will be top quality and has already mentioned that he can complete the installation for you.

Happy to answer any further questions you may have regards features but do have a look at the custom firmware link in the earlier post to get an understanding of what’s possible.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hello Ryan
I have an after market one that plays DVDs in my A2 that I am waiting for @timmus to take out and return to original CD player, as soon as that is done it will be available for sale at a very reasonable price. Just not my cup of tea.

Right now there is no solution to simply pop a DVD into its disc drive for viewing.
Thanks for clarifying, Tom. This confirms what I believed.

Rye’s car will be landing at mine soon for the double-DIN conversion, with a complete dashboard coming from @A2Steve (I think!). The interior from @CrispyEdd arrived at mine with @Cenick over the weekend. So, the ducks are being lined up, but the question over which model of head unit to use remains.

My overwhelming preference is to keep things OEM, meaning that my knowledge of the aftermarket offerings is limited. I’m happy to install aftermarket gear where desired, of course.
I’m not sure whether the desired product exists anymore. Does any reputable manufacturer make a head unit that plays DVD videos, or is everything now phone-orientated?

What does the A2OC collective know about this?

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for clarifying, Tom. This confirms what I believed.

Rye’s car will be landing at mine soon for the double-DIN conversion, with a complete dashboard coming from @A2Steve (I think!). The interior from @CrispyEdd arrived at mine with @Cenick over the weekend. So, the ducks are being lined up, but the question over which model of head unit to use remains.

My overwhelming preference is to keep things OEM, meaning that my knowledge of the aftermarket offerings is limited. I’m happy to install aftermarket gear where desired, of course.
I’m not sure whether the desired product exists anymore. Does any reputable manufacturer make a head unit that plays DVD videos, or is everything now phone-orientated?

What does the A2OC collective know about this?

Cheers,

Tom
I think maybe I genuinely haven’t seen the wood for the trees on this one. Tom was probably right on just using a smart device and mounting it in a good position to fold my seat right back and view it from there! 😂😂

Might attract unwanted attention having a mount in view and I am that donut who would leave an iPad in full view. I guess it’s the same with a head unit though, anything is nickable if it’s on view:

I like the idea of keeping it original as possible and the rns-e looks a good compromise. Dvds are pretty antiquated now I suppose ! 😂 just my film collection is dvd. I also like the simplicity of just plugging my phone into a head unit and the features available through that. I’ll do some research and if you all allow it, let me pick your brains!

Hopefully timmus will be taking bug in soon and drag him to 2022 with a few nice upgrades and a spangly new interior!

Cheers rye

You can stream yewchube from your phone to pioneer nex, or you can get carbridge app to stream by mirroring. If you have to use a dvd then I'm sure there'll be older headunits on fleabay...

I think maybe I genuinely haven’t seen the wood for the trees on this one. Tom was probably right on just using a smart device and mounting it in a good position to fold my seat right back and view it from there! 😂😂

Might attract unwanted attention having a mount in view and I am that donut who would leave an iPad in full view. I guess it’s the same with a head unit though, anything is nickable if it’s on view:

I like the idea of keeping it original as possible and the rns-e looks a good compromise. Dvds are pretty antiquated now I suppose ! 😂 just my film collection is dvd. I also like the simplicity of just plugging my phone into a head unit and the features available through that. I’ll do some research and if you all allow it, let me pick your brains!

Hopefully timmus will be taking bug in soon and drag him to 2022 with a few nice upgrades and a spangly new interior!

Cheers rye
Try pioneer sph20 it doubles as a phone holder whilst connecting to it for controls and nav, it also is single din...

Back