Head unit upgrade

Thundertracker

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade the audi concert 2 from my A2 to an Android unit with bluetooth, aux, internet... The whole shabang

However I have several questions

Do I really need an adapter? I'm most likely not going to reuse the factory stereo so I'm very tempted to just snip the plug off and solder the ISO leads on their place

Also can I run the amp for the rear speaker with the head unit? I read that someone used standard car RCAs to do just that

Any help is appreciated

Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade the audi concert 2 from my A2 to an Android unit with bluetooth, aux, internet... The whole shabang

However I have several questions

Do I really need an adapter? I'm most likely not going to reuse the factory stereo so I'm very tempted to just snip the plug off and solder the ISO leads on their place

Also can I run the amp for the rear speaker with the head unit? I read that someone used standard car RCAs to do just that

Any help is appreciated

Please use an adapter if you ever sell the car just think of the person that finds that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Thundertracker,

There is no off-the-shelf adapter that'll allow you to replace the Concert II stereo (or similar) with an aftermarket stereo. From 2002 onwards, Audi stereos operate on a digital command interface (CAN). So, whereas aftermarket stereos require a set of simple 'analogue triggers' (12V feeds) to turn the stereo on/off, to switch backlighting on/off, to provide ignition status, etc, the Audi stereos do all of this digitally. Consequently, none of the connectors at the back of the Concert II contain the wires that you'd need to control an aftermarket stereo. No simple wiring adapter (or, heaven forbid, cutting and soldering) will be able to translate between these two fundamentally incompatible systems.

Of course, it's possible to fit an aftermarket stereo, but it will require an additional, custom-made wiring loom to be installed into the area behind the stereo that caters for aftermarket stereos.

Other than smartphone mirroring, there's nothing the Audi stereos can't do if fitted with the right add-ons.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Thundertracker,

There is no off-the-shelf adapter that'll allow you to replace the Concert II stereo (or similar) with an aftermarket stereo. From 2002 onwards, Audi stereos operate on a digital command interface (CAN). So, whereas aftermarket stereos require a set of simple 'analogue triggers' (12V feeds) to turn the stereo on/off, to switch backlighting on/off, to provide ignition status, etc, the Audi stereos do all of this digitally. Consequently, none of the connectors at the back of the Concert II contain the wires that you'd need to control an aftermarket stereo. No simple wiring adapter (or, heaven forbid, cutting and soldering) will be able to translate between these two fundamentally incompatible systems.

Of course, it's possible to fit an aftermarket stereo, but it will require an additional, custom-made wiring loom to be installed into the area behind the stereo that caters for aftermarket stereos.

Other than smartphone mirroring, there's nothing the Audi stereos can't do if fitted with the right add-ons.

Cheers,

Tom
Oh I didn't know everything went through the CAN bus, what a bummer...
Do I loose any vital information by removing the stereo? Like range, temp, opened doors things like that

I should only need a harness for speakers and power to the head unit for now, I may have to find a cheap amp for the back speakers though by the looks of it, or drive them with the stereo.
I really want to make Android Auto work with the car, that's what I will use or for as well, experiments

The most obvious thing you loose, by going to an aftermarket HU is any radio info (band, station etc) on the DIS.
Define your priority requirements, which the current OEM system does not provide. Most, if not all, can be available with the correct BT adapter, and a smart phone (and/or SD card/USB drive).
Oh, and imo, a tidy Chorus or Concert is hard to beat visually.
Mac.

The most obvious thing you loose, by going to an aftermarket HU is any radio info (band, station etc) on the DIS.
Define your priority requirements, which the current OEM system does not provide. Most, if not all, can be available with the correct BT adapter, and a smart phone (and/or SD card/USB drive).
Oh, and imo, a tidy Chorus or Concert is hard to beat visually.
Mac.
I don't really care about that as I don't listen to the radio, however, I have backup sensors fitted and have no idea how they're wired

I don't really care about that as I don't listen to the radio, however, I have backup sensors fitted and have no idea how they're wired

If they are original they are basically standalone, with just can bus or Kline can’t remember so the distance can be tuned in Vagcom

If they are original they are basically standalone, with just can bus or Kline can’t remember so the distance can be tuned in Vagcom

I'm pretty sure they are the OEM ones, my question was if I was going to loose that if I change stereos,

Nothing will cease to work if you remove the OEM stereo other than stereo-related features.
Parking sensors and such are not related to the stereo.

Cheers,

Tom

I did the same, see the following post...

Very pleased with the results, it won’t be to the taste of those that really want to retain the OEM look but it’s very good from a usability and sound quality standpoint. Highly recommend @depronman ‘s services for the making up of physical adaptors and fascia plates.

Last edited:
I did the same, see the following post...

Very pleased with the results, it won’t be to the taste of those that really want to retain the OEM look but it’s very good from a usability and sound quality standpoint. Highly recommend @depronman ‘s services for the making up of physical adaptors and fascia plates.
That's exactly what I want to do! Did you guys have any trouble doing the wiring? I can't seem to find any sort of harness for power and speakers (there's plenty for the mini ISO plug though) and plugs only cost a small fortune

That's exactly what I want to do! Did you guys have any trouble doing the wiring? I can't seem to find any sort of harness for power and speakers (there's plenty for the mini ISO plug though) and plugs only cost a small fortune

I didn’t do it myself so can’t say how difficult it was, however my installer sourced an ISO adaptor from one of their catalogues, can’t remember exactly how much it cost but it wasn’t extortionate, and I don’t think had too much difficulty driving the rear amplifier from the HU’s line out.

Isn’t the concert 2 single DIN? For sure that would increase the pain associated with this, so I guess you’d have to have the dash modified to double DIN (doable by one or two of the finest brains here I believe), or possibly resort to one of the few single DIN aftermarket units around which have a separate screen, though I can see that being fraught with problems.

Last edited:
I didn’t do it myself so can’t say how difficult it was, however my installer sourced an ISO adaptor from one of their catalogues, can’t remember exactly how much it cost but it wasn’t extortionate, and I don’t think had too much difficulty driving the rear amplifier from the HU’s line out.
Okay so yeah any old iso plug will work, good thing I like soldering and DIY-ing.
So it turns out I can drive the rear speakers with the line out, do you know how they did that or not? I'd like to reuse the factory wiring loom for that if possible

Okay so yeah any old iso plug will work, good thing I like soldering and DIY-ing.
So it turns out I can drive the rear speakers with the line out, do you know how they did that or not? I'd like to reuse the factory wiring loom for that if possible

Sorry I can’t really help with the technical ins and outs, I quickly decided the venture was well beyond my very limited DIY skills!

Back