Headlight on buzzer

Scudney

The headlight on warning buzzer doesn't seem to work on my car,(no sure if it was fitted with one), what is the likely culprit?would this be an alternative and has anyone? 20210108_140252.jpg

You need the ignition off and drivers door open and the lights on not Auto. Is the drivers door open registering with the Dis, interior lights and illuminating the fuel flap and alarm buttons on the b pillar?

Mine is a 2001 petrol,base model i think as it has no front fog lights. The DIS if it has one doesn't seem to work at all(mileage,time,date however display ok) just nothing on the small square centre display ?

Hi John,

From your description it might well be a failed drivers door microswitch. Adding a picture of the DIS area/center of the instrument cluster with your drivers door open will assist with probable cause.

Note that if you do fit an auto headlight switch, which all have front fog lights functionality and you don’t actually have front fog lights fitted then you might have an issue at MOT time. I’m no expert on MOT criteria and happy to be corrected but I think that if you have the ability to turn them on inside the car then they will be checked outside the card. Again happy to be corrected.

Try to add a picture as mentioned earlier and you’ll get a definite answer from the crowd.

Kind regards,

Tom

I have got no DIS display, apart from date,time etc,the interior lights come on with the door open and the alarm switch and petrol flap release switch illuminate, and that's about it ?

Attachments

• 20210108_152647.jpg
    20210108_152647.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 155
  • 20210108_152651.jpg
    20210108_152651.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 161
'ote that if you do fit an auto headlight switch, which all have front fog lights functionality and you don’t actually have front fog lights fitted then you might have an issue at MOT time. I’m no expert on MOT criteria and happy to be corrected but I think that if you have the ability to turn them on inside the car then they will be checked outside the card. Again happy to be corrected.'

MOT testing of front fog lamps not applicable to vehicles used prior to 2018 I believe.

Hi John,

This is strange. It looks like your drivers door microswitch is functioning ok as the B Pillar buttons illuminate as does the interior lights.

Here is some (very poor, sorry) pictures of Project 250 taken moments ago for you.

With the drivers door open the instruments look like this:
62ED3D61-A37B-4A13-BA08-A8D6C3A5723E.jpeg

B Pillar buttons illuminate:
13BC7618-F87A-438A-B1D2-F43DE7104B7A.jpeg

If I turn the headlight switch to on (ignition still off/no key in the ignition) then the instruments look like this:
E8A027A8-2DB9-4B35-9430-CBDD7F81589D.jpeg

Instantly the annoying audible tone you’re seeking is heard.

I’m sure someone with a lot more experience than me will be along with a possible cause of you not getting the audible tone.

Kind regards,

Tom

MOT testing of front fog lamps not applicable to vehicles used prior to 2018 I believe.

Glad to be corrected. Thank you for the information.

I personally was concerned about this as I have recently installed (not got the Dremel out yet) the BT Auto Headlight Switch into Project 250, which doesn’t have front fog lights, yet. Tom @timmus a post vaccine job please!

Kind regards

Tom

I'll ask again.
With the ignition key out and the light switch turned to either side or head lights open the drivers door and the tone sounds not a buzzer.
All A2s are fitted with the lights on warning. The dis questions was to see if the door is recognised as open. It is the fuel and alarm buttons are illuminated ( I am assuming they are off when the door is closed ).

Just been out and tried it,no tone or noise whatsoever,same with when you put your indicator stalk to the left or right to leave rear side light on no audible noise either ?

So just to confirm. When the ignition is off and you open the drivers door the interior lights front and rear come on and the 2 switches in the b pillar illuminate. This is important because if the car does not think the drivers door is open the warning will not sound

By pressing and holding the reset button under the right stalk on the column. At least that is where the switch is for full dis. You cycle the display on / off.

Starting to look like the buzzer in the instrument panel has failed.

Do you have a normal head light switch to try instead of the Auto one. I vaguely remember something about the earlier ones turning off the lights on warning. But not 100% sure.

No not ignorance, just we can not see what you are seeing. On the wiper stalk on my car which has full DIS there is a small button on the lower edge of the stalk marked RESET. On my car pressing and holding this button will turn the DIS off if it is on and vice versa.

From your photo in post #5, you only have the standard half-DIS so there won't be a reset button on the wiper stalk. Don't know why your (half-)DIS isn't working, when it looks like everything else is behaving as expected. As for the audible warning, are you able to fit a standard headlight switch temporarily to test if the aftermarket auto-lights switch is the culprit, as @audifan suggests?

Last edited:
Back