Headlining adhesive

Darren C

Admin Team
Good afternoon all,

I hope this post finds you safe and well.

I’m in search of any recommendations for adhesive spray to bond the headlining back to the roof. I’ve a small area that has failed and I’m looking to do an in situ repair. There are lots of products out there, including many permutations of 3M, so before I take the plunge I thought I’d see if anyone has had any success with a particular product. Key for me is that the adhesive isn’t wet per se so that it reduces the risk of staining.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Pinged you on whats app Darren. Use the high temp adhesive to allow for sunny days!
This is where I am going to get new material and adhesive from.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I shall grab some of those too @2work as eyeing this work myself. - Appreciate the recommendation as there seems to be a ton of different products promising amazing results which you'll only find out aren't true a year or two later when headliner falls off!

@Darren C just curious have you decided on material for the lining? Was eyeing something like URL or similar, possibly fake leather, black/grey seems tempting but not sure if it'll make it feel less spacious inside, looks good in A6(i think) though. Would certainly add a bit of premium flare to the A2!

I’m looking to bond my original back in place in a small section that has failed. The OSS generates some serious heat during warm weather. An in situ repair if I can which means making it worse before I can make it better. #trepidation

Good luck with yours.

I shall grab some of those too @2work as eyeing this work myself. - Appreciate the recommendation as there seems to be a ton of different products promising amazing results which you'll only find out aren't true a year or two later when headliner falls off!

@Darren C just curious have you decided on material for the lining? Was eyeing something like URL or similar, possibly fake leather, black/grey seems tempting but not sure if it'll make it feel less spacious inside, looks good in A6(i think) though. Would certainly add a bit of premium flare to the A2!

Following on from this I've tried the 3m product with very limited success, is there a trick to doing it? Mmm maybe I should do a video??

Following on from this I've tried the 3m product with very limited success, is there a trick to doing it? Mmm maybe I should do a video??

James,

Trick with the contact adhesive is to spray a thin even coat on both surfaces (both must be dirt/dust and grease free) then let it set (tacky but not wet) for a minute of 2, ambient temperature dependant of course, then gently offer the new fabric to the the headlining biscuit (moulded board). Don’t squash it together as you can compress the foam backing to much into the glue. Just a gentle wipe over with your hand once you’ve got it following the various contours of the headlining biscuit. Once this is done it will not come off for years to come.

I watch all you clips like most others on here, so why not.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening,

If you look in my Project OEM thread you will see what the AS-Trim Oatmeal looks like next to Factory Twist fabric.

it was one of my options when about to reupholster my sagging headlining.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back