Heated front seats conversion

VAG fool

I think that the lady of the house would appreciate this in the colder months as she does feel the cold, so... what's required?
Single DIN climate control panel with extra controls obvs, seat heating pads, presumably some relay additions.
Is this the one optional extra that is genuinely plug and play to the main body harness or have I got that wrong?

Adam and I have done this twice now, both times using aftermarket heating pads, a Kufatec loom and the OEM climate panel with heated seat switches. However, it will not work without a thermistor as it is the thermistor that tells the switches when to heat, without the thermistor you will not get 12V at the heating elements. I have spare thermistors I can send you once you get to that point.

There are no relays to add, just a fuse at the correct position and the ready made loom does the rest. You will also need the green connector under the seat to do it properly.

I have added some pictures, the green connector under the seat supplies the power to the white connector (heating pads) and the small wires branching off by the white connector are going to the thermistor buried in the seat base. At the carpet end you can see the black connector with the purple insert, that is the end of the Kufatec loom, you can just about see the cables that go to the switch sticking out of the dash. Obviously there is a live to the fuse board and and earth to connect.

Give me a shout if you need further info.

Ian

seat base green connector.jpgseat base pad connector.jpgseat base thermistor.jpgSeats loom in carpet.jpgSeats stripped out.jpg

The lady approves of my proposal, so first thing is to find a single din climate fascia with heated seat controls

Bought a replacement hard-touch converted climate panel and a pair of A8 rheostat units. The fronts clip on as I suspected, so I will measure up and machine the one currently on the car (stickered) and see how it goes. Ok so there wont be any illuminated legends for the controls, but the numerals are backlit iirc
IMG_20210302_185659_9.jpg
IMG_20210302_190013_2.jpg

Why not cut out rectangular holes for the switch fascia assuming the contours of the switch are similar to the climate panels. That way easier to cut out than the "H" pattern just for the switch dials plus bonus of having the symbols and illumination.

We were lucky and managed to buy a worn soft touch panel and change the buttons to hard touch from an Audi A4 panel. With the switches the total was around £80.
Ian

climate.jpg

I'll defo be going the thermistor route. Its simple and no sense reinventing the wheel.

I will do my best to replicate the H apertures for the controls, the A8 bezels are too big and the wrong profile for the A2 fascia panel.

Wont take much to write a simple program to mill those out using the fascia fixing screw holes as datum points.

When you’re ready, PM me your address and I’ll get the thermistors in the post to you. I also have a wiring diagram and other info I had forgotten about that I can send you if required.

Ian

Many thanks Ian, I might ask you for some reference dimensions taken from your oem fascia, just as a double-check.

Hi Kleynie,

Is this a service you offer fellow members? I would love to add the heated option into my sports seats. I lready have the wiring loom and controls in place, so how long would a job like this take?

Cheers

Hi Kleynie,

Is this a service you offer fellow members? I would love to add the heated option into my sports seats. I lready have the wiring loom and controls in place, so how long would a job like this take?

Cheers
Haha, no not a chance unfortunately, I don't mind on our own cars but not for others. Only the OSS service is for others I'm afraid.

But I will help where I can.

Ian

Thanks. If I can generate a useable fascia for someone else then that's got to be a good thing. Might even be a viable service I could offer.
With the heated seated climates being rare and so expensive I think this as service is worth nurturing, I had much the same thoughts but you seem better equipped. If it is any help regarding measurements I am pretty sure I can put my hand on a heated seat A4 climate facia I could send to you but I would want it back. Not the same as an A2 facia but the buttons and switch positions I expect will be the same.

Andy

Last edited:
Back