Hello Again. Again.

shao_khan

Past Member
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I really need an introduction thread. Having had my pride and joy written off last year when a stupid woman parked on my car I couldn't bring myself to buy another. Well until the weekend when I picked this up. 1.4 petrol with no options other than a Black roof lining!!! So this is A2 number 6.

I'll post some pictures up once Ive resized them :)

IMG_0271 copy.jpg
IMG_0272 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm not sure if I really need an introduction thread. Having had my pride and joy written off last year when a stupid woman parked on my car I couldn't bring myself to buy another. Well until the weekend when I picked this up. 1.4 petrol with no options other than a Black roof lining!!! So this is A2 number 6.

I'll post some pictures up once Ive resized them :)
Afternoon,

I am more than happy to assist if If you continue to have issues getting pictures added. Just PM me your number as I can receive them either on WhatsApp or iMessage. Failing that I’m also happy to supply my email address.

Kind regards,

Tom

According to the pictures, a left-hooker, in France! That will be interesting back on these shores but at least the headlights are very easy to convert to RHD.

Afternoon,

I am more than happy to assist if If you continue to have issues getting pictures added. Just PM me your number as I can receive them either on WhatsApp or iMessage. Failing that I’m also happy to supply my email address.

Kind regards,

Tom
Afternoon,

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi, Tom, on an unrelated matter, did you receive my PM regarding a headlining?

Cheers
Matthew

That black roof looks REALLY good. Nice find. Interesting that the Spanish climate has allowed the forged alloys to maintain their tarnish-prone (in the UK) finish so nicely.

Sorry for delay. So Black headlining. Aftermarket, looks quite nice in black, just need to do something with all the rest.

Would a Hydrodip work on the parts that do not get touched or would I be better using appropriate paint to colour them? Frames on sun visors should be ok, not sure how to deal with inserts though.
A2_headlining001.jpg

Sorry for delay. So Black headlining. Aftermarket, looks quite nice in black, just need to do something with all the rest.

Would a Hydrodip work on the parts that do not get touched or would I be better using appropriate paint to colour them? Frames on sun visors should be ok, not sure how to deal with inserts though.View attachment 86058
Afternoon,

Headlining looks great by the way. Have a chat with Bob @Jellybean as he recently reupholstered his headlining along with sun visors. Think he might have a template for you to use for the fabric inserts.

As for recolouring the remainder of the roof furniture, I used Aldi Matt Black Paint for this and it turned out brilliant. Think Bob also done the same.

The Platinum Buttons were replaced with Black variants from a Mk1 TT. Here’s some pictures to peruse over whilst I find a link to the overhead light switch pack I painted.

Just found the picture I was looking for on my OEM thread:

DADD14BC-832F-4A2B-8367-9C9363DCCE78.jpeg

To help out, below is a couple from eBay items that might be of help. They are the cheapest available as of today. No connection to any of the sellers.

Audi TT Mk1 Map Reading Light #1:
26B08E1E-3747-447C-805E-EC010277EB75.jpeg

Another one as you’ll need 2x main light switches:
204A549B-6248-4D9A-A201-2B0DDD94DE9D.jpeg

Kind regards,

Tom

Would a Hydrodip work on the parts that do not get touched or would I be better using appropriate paint to colour them? Frames on sun visors should be ok, not sure how to deal with inserts though.View attachment 86058
Hi, as Tom said, I recovered my headlining in Jelly, black edging with burgundy centre panel.
To match, 3 grab handles, rear light panel, front light panel and alarm sensing, to gether with sun visors were all sprayed with matt black Plastikote.
The drivers grab handle was replaced with a glasses holder, but although black, this was sprayed to match.
The sun visor material can only be removed on one side, opposite to the mirror. Its one piece of material, but can be pulled away and cut to remove. The mirror side, the material is glued to the visor, so I didn't bother, just sprayed it all black. Looks fine.
I have some templates for the material inserts. If you want a set, just pm me your address and will post to you. Alternatively I have some black alcantara type material, with foam backing, so could cut you a set of panels and send those?
Here to help if any questions.
a885b196b811c1b2cf9ebf3fac28d1af.jpg
228f8d4d762df4e579139292cef276af.jpg
b4694f6926af9fd8f588eba75dcee4b9.jpg
b70228749dc378f4146dd4aed64b0b9b.jpg
73be1c6d0397b6920eba92414b1e878a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Awesome :) Nice job both on the painting, I see I'm going to need to put some practise in!!!

Are the grab handles a standard size, could I source them from any other VAG cars - I know like the VW New Beetle had a glasses holder option, I wondered if anyone had tried other parts in place of the A2 items?

Were any of the A / B / C pillars black or dark from Factory? Will I need to look at retiming these also?

Thanks
Chris

Awesome :) Nice job both on the painting, I see I'm going to need to put some practise in!!!

Are the grab handles a standard size, could I source them from any other VAG cars - I know like the VW New Beetle had a glasses holder option, I wondered if anyone had tried other parts in place of the A2 items?

Were any of the A / B / C pillars black or dark from Factory? Will I need to look at retiming these also?

Thanks
Chris
Hi Chris,

If you’re changing the headlining colour then the A and D pillars look much better if they are also changed for the same colour at the same time.

Be aware that the pillars are not covered with foam backed headlining fabric. These items are covered in Facing fabric that has no foam backing. I have in the past used headlining fabric on these though.

Sourcing the foam backed (headlining) and facing fabric (pillars) in an aftermarket colour option should be easy enough.

Where I’m personally struggling to start the reupholstery venture is finding the best possible Platinum and Twist foam backed and facing fabrics that blend together nicely. I’ve had samples turn up from every possible supplier so far and not found the perfect match so far. It might just stop me starting the service to be honest.

If you end up reupholstering your sun visors then you can remove the fabric both sides. I think the side Bob says cannot be removed is the facing fabric side, the adhesive is still very well bonded some 20 years later. It’s adhered to a thin metal plate so you can be quite aggressive during the removal process.

Kind regards,

Tom

The S-Line+ in the rest of Europe had a black headlining and A & D pillars (B and C are in your car's interior colour). I imagine it would be hard to find one breaking though - and I expect you'd need to be prepared to pay as everyone else will want the interior bits too. Maybe easier to retrim, although getting A and D pillar trims off will usually involve breaking clips, so a solution to reattach should also be borne in mind.

Trying to find good quality parts in Spain is hard work, even low mileage cars here look like they were used as a builders van from day 1. Mine has just turned 80k KM so is quite low mileage and it has lots of bits worn because cars here are a tool and not looked after.

The headlining in mine was done by the previous owner and is black, so I was thinking about getting the pillars trimmed to match the headlining and going to a Contrast interior - I just missed out on a yellow interior 2 weeks ago that came up for sale. Had seats / door cards / steering wheel and gear gator at a place in Valencia. In the main though I've been to look at 7 cars being broken and the interior quite frankly look like someone had them filled with dirty water / the state of them was dire. Drivers seat wear is unreal, I've seen cars with 150k miles in the UK that are in better condition than anything I have seen here so far!!

Thanks Tom, I might have to try and source the headlining supplier to get material samples for mine to see what they have available, as it'll be the only way I can get a colour match.

Saw a nice looking A2 in Santander over the weekend whilst visiting the in-laws. It doesn't show the ususal Spanish battle scars. Are those Golf mk 4 wheels?

Attachments

• a2 santander.jpg
    a2 santander.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 150
Hi, as Tom said, I recovered my headlining in Jelly, black edging with burgundy centre panel.
To match, 3 grab handles, rear light panel, front light panel and alarm sensing, to gether with sun visors were all sprayed with matt black Plastikote.
The drivers grab handle was replaced with a glasses holder, but although black, this was sprayed to match.
The sun visor material can only be removed on one side, opposite to the mirror. Its one piece of material, but can be pulled away and cut to remove. The mirror side, the material is glued to the visor, so I didn't bother, just sprayed it all black. Looks fine.
I have some templates for the material inserts. If you want a set, just pm me your address and will post to you. Alternatively I have some black alcantara type material, with foam backing, so could cut you a set of panels and send those?
Here to help if any questions.
a885b196b811c1b2cf9ebf3fac28d1af.jpg
228f8d4d762df4e579139292cef276af.jpg
b4694f6926af9fd8f588eba75dcee4b9.jpg
b70228749dc378f4146dd4aed64b0b9b.jpg
73be1c6d0397b6920eba92414b1e878a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
A really nice interior?

Back