Hello from Barcelona

Saile

I’m Elías, from Barcelona (I guess it’s Elijah in English) and I formally joined this club a few month ago although I haven’t had a chance to introduce myself until now that I’m on holidays!?

I’ve always had a sense of passion towards Audi cars and I’ve been lucky to own a few ones since I was young. When I noticed the Audi A2 back in the early 2000s I was totally convinced I needed to purchase one of those as a city car for my wife and for me. However, I decided to invest the money on an Audi Allroad 2.5 (which I still own it today and I still love and keep it in perfect mint condition) but due to its high price at that time, there was barely no money left for our desired Audi A2 and had to buy a Seat Ibiza instead –a fraction of an Audi A2 price then, but a lot less car in all senses-. Well, as I was also member since many years ago of the AudiSportIberica forum website (Spanish generic website devoted to all Audi cars) following all related threads on the Audi Allroad I own, I must admit I was always keeping an eye on the Audi A2 specific forum too… which basically proved that I already had ‘the bug’ in my blood by then!:p

Well, the thing is I was learning to love the Audi A2 even without still owning it! One day looking for specific topics related to the A2 I came across to this fantastic club website and found out an incredible amount of upper class detailed information, a greater number of enthusiasts actively participating on it, and above all, a sense of proud and privileged owners of this wonder car. I guess this was the final inspiration push I needed to start considering buying a second hand one ever since… and I started the hunt! Actually, It took me around three years to find the one I was really looking for, considering all the tips and advises extremely well documented in your forum.

The chosen one was purchased one year ago, it’s an Audi A2 1.4 2002 SE petrol, 1290 cc in line 4 cyl 16 v (75 PS, 74 bhp) Akoya Silver (metallic) color with 102,526 miles on the clock, OSS (which still works but proving its age and known problem symptoms), 4 seats, fog lights, electric window at the rear, and Audi Concert II (showing the volume knonw problem) but in general although it was from being a tidy unit at first sight, it had all the key elements to check in quite decent condition , with a full service history (except no evidence of a cambelt change at all) … so during the first year, I started what I called ‘the project’ (as I want my wife and I to be able to drive it in a perfect condition)

THE PROJECT

Fist of all, I started with the basic maintenance procedures which included:

Cambelt and water pump changed (first thing)

Dog tower replaced (I could feel a weird sound/engine gearshift reaction that showed the problem)

All filters and fluids service (including brake fluid, engine oil, steering column fluid, coolant fluid, etc.)

New front brakes and rear pads

New clutch

New temp sensor

New transmission gearshift fluid change

New interior led lights replacement

New catalyst

New wheels (Pirelli P1 Cinturato 185/55/15 82V)

New plugs (believe it or not, after 18 years, they were never replaced as they were showing the original Audi branded logo on them!!!)

New flywheel (tried to clean the old one, but proved useless as there were more electric/mechanic problems on the original one)

COSMETICS

Actually, apart from a good in depth valet (including ozone final treatment) the most significant operations were.

Outside in depth cleaning and waxing treatment

Fixed the liner roof (I bought it totally saggy from the rear side)

Fixed the mirror switch button/wheel broken that I successfully managed to replace following the guide published in this fantastic forum.

Fixing the worn buttons/symbols on the headline switch

FUTURE PLANS

Full scratches repair and possibly repainting wings, rear and front bumpers.

Shock absorbers and springs full replacement (including bearings, silentblocks etc.) I will try to fix this before the end of the year.

And finally will try to get the car’s OSS fully repaired with new metallic spare parts option (although I have not found any garage in Spain proving to be able to deal with it)…maybe I will have to drive to UK in a future (not a big deal for me as I’ve got relatives in London and could easily organize a trip as a ‘holidays option/project’ excuse…).

JUST DREAM PLANS

In general, I try to keep my cars with their original OEM parts, but there are a few things that I would certainly like to consider in a future:

In my dream wish list, would mainly love replacing the odometer to one of those configured by Timmus (I am a great follower of his professional skills and knowledge and would love to get my A2 ‘treated’ by him some day in a future) showing the color DIS with full engine real time info…but this is just a dream now! Additionally, a Bose retrofit for the rear doors would be something desirable too.

Once again, would just like to thank all members of this club that have provided tones of interesting and useful information to others for so many years (Timmus, Birchall, A2 Steve, and many others). You have certainly been a source of inspiration to others just like me -who are not really skilled on mechanics but just love to keep our cars under the best possibly conditions for a long time. We owe it all without any doubt to this club and all its enthusiastic members!

Finally, I would like to apologize for any written mistake I may have done in my introduction. I show you now some pictures of my A2. Hope you like them! Best regards from Barcelona!
DSC_6559.JPG
DSC_6560.JPG
DSC_6563.JPG
DSC_6565 - copia.JPG
DSC_6568.JPG
DSC_6574.JPG
DSC_6577.JPG
DSC_6582.JPG
DSC_6595.JPG
DSC_6608.JPG

Hi Elías. May I be the first to welcome you and say what an interesting and full introduction you have provided (and perfect English as well). Your A2 looks great, inside and out - I wish I had the light grey interior (only my seats are grey, the rest is black :( ) An your garage! Wow! I've never seen one so smart! Enjoy your A2 ownership and no doubt a visit to the UK to sort out the open sky at some point. @Kleynie is your man in the south for OSS repairs - I he lives on the south west edge of London.

Welcome,
Barcelona is a wonderful City.
They look great sat together in the garage. Would be tempted to do the arches on the A2 (like a storm) and change to a slatted grill to match the Allroad.

Thank you Alan for your kind welcome! Light gray interior with OSS is rally cool as the light fills all the space... but at the same time is a bit of a pain to permanently keep it clean an tidy since any small spot or stain gets noticed inmediately! But I can live with it!
OSS refurb is queing on the line as I fancy being able to use it regularly considering the generaly nice weather we enjoy in Spain throuhout most of the year. However, unless I find a decent professional garage familiar with Audi A2 OSS repair, I will certainly get in touch with Kleynie to asses a potential visit to UK as per your recomendation! Much appreciated it!

Hi Elías. May I be the first to welcome you and say what an interesting and full introduction you have provided (and perfect English as well). Your A2 looks great, inside and out - I wish I had the light grey interior (only my seats are grey, the rest is black :( ) An your garage! Wow! I've never seen one so smart! Enjoy your A2 ownership and no doubt a visit to the UK to sort out the open sky at some point. @Kleynie is your man in the south for OSS repairs - I he lives on the south west edge of London.

Welcome aboard Elias! Lovely to see such a nice example and even nicer to hear you will keep it OEM ? . The light grey interior looks quite tidy considering the age and mileage. By the way, I believe your body colour is not Akoya but silver sea light metallic.

Thank you very much for your kind words!

At some point I've been undoubtely tempted to paint the arches on the A2 with the dark grey colour of the Allroad arches...even the front and rear bumpers!!!... Don't know...maybe in a future! But so far I still love the metallic gray paint colour all over the car!

Anyway, rest assured l will post any future change/modification in that sense if this ever happen!

Cheers!

Welcome,
Barcelona is a wonderful City.
They look great sat together in the garage. Would be tempted to do the arches on the A2 (like a storm) and change to a slatted grill to match the Allroad.

Thank you very much for you warm welcome and further clarification on the colour name specification. You are absolutely right! It's silver sea light metallic! I actually only use the pain code LY7W to identify the paint colour rather the official id Audi name (from the beggining I wanted my A2 with the same colour as my Allroad, firstly because I like it very much an secondly because I've got 'tones' of paint that I can use to respray and as a touch up solution equally suitable for both cars!?.

8Z, post: 408133, member: 11614"]
Welcome aboard Elias! Lovely to see such a nice example and even nicer to hear you will keep it OEM ? . The light grey interior looks quite tidy considering the age and mileage. By the way, I believe your body colour is not Akoya but silver sea light metallic.
[/QUOTE]

Hi Steve, nice to meet you! I've followed many of your threads with high interest! I know you've provided A2 used parts for a number of years which is good to know! I have just upgraded my account as donor member so that I am able to make some purchases going forward. I hope to get in touch with you in a future!

Welcome along to the club, your A2 looks a lovely example.

Hi, Nice looking car I looked everywhere for an A2 and found a lot of really bad cars in Spain. (I'm near Alicante).

I eventually found one, but would have loved the rear electric windows, but every one I saw was worthy of scrap!!

Welcome to the club.

Hi Shao Khan, Thank you for yuor nice comments. You are quite right: most A2 cars available in Spain were not high spec. Additionally, it's really hard to find one unit in decent status. It took me more than three years to find the one I own now. I wanted with OSS, rear electric windows, sport package, etc... and I finally found it... but it was in a quite miserable status (not externally) but in terms of engine and brakes maintenance. However, I took the risk...it took me some time, lots of patience and of course some money...but I finally made it, and I left as I wanted to. This is a car model I have always want to own ever since it was launched back in year 1999... but it was very expensive for my pocket... but nowadays, I find it still worth it and convenient (bear in mind you actually can claim C green sticker rather than the B yellow sticker applied by defect...

I am certainly enjoying this phorum every day! Very interesting info and -above all-, good positive and kind spirit and willingness to help at all times by virtually everyone!

Cheers,

Saile

Thats good to know as mine has the Yellow B, I will have to look into that.

I have lost track of how many cars I looked at. Many were very bad exterior with dents, poor body, damaged wheels. Many more like you say were mechanically just not looked after, considering the 'low KM' on some the interior parts are very badly used on many.

I'm now looking for some parts and that has started a whole new challenge!!

Back